HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Now I'm one turn before the trimming of the ratlines and I'm thinking already what to do next...

...continue with the other/upper thirds of the fore, main and mizzen masts or fix the bowstrip and its relative fittings?

If you have any experienced idea on this, please show me "the way"...

Thanks

Stergios

post-944-0-23042500-1443344106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Futtock positioning looks much better Stergios, nice work.  My suggestion would be to get the bowsprit installed before you go any further.  Looking great!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Futtock positioning looks much better Stergios, nice work.  My suggestion would be to get the bowsprit installed before you go any further.  Looking great!

Thank you Jason.

My only cause for concern is that i've already assembled all the wooden parts (even the minor) of the bowsprit and i fear of accidental crackings...

Looks good Stergios.  How firmly built is the the jib-boom?  It may be much easier/less risky in the long run to remove it and replace later.  My experience was that bowsprit can take a few of the inevitable knocks but the jib boom is a bit more susceptible.  I think Jim managed just fine though.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Looks good Stergios.  How firmly built is the the jib-boom?  It may be much easier/less risky in the long run to remove it and replace later.  My experience was that bowsprit can take a few of the inevitable knocks but the jib boom is a bit more susceptible.  I think Jim managed just fine though.

Unfortunatelly Jason, the jib-boom is firmly fixed, from the beginning...

I'll try to take my protecting measures for it. Thanks

Now, ready ro glue and fix the middle thirds of the fore and main masts...

I don't take the risk to have exposed the whole bowsprit-unit for so long time, so I prefer to continue "upwards"...

Edited by Stergios

I attached those particular blocks with rope to the mast above the shrouds (looping it around it), the block was then lashed to the shroud to keep it in position. 

If you look at post #703 in my Snake log, 7th photo down that may help you visualize.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I also attached mine with rope.

Mortr

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

I also attached with rope. Definitely a situation where caldicraft could have improved their plans and shown the blocks to be attached to the masts on the mast plans not just the rigging plans. Had to do it in situ with all the shrouds in place. Not easy.

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I am building HMS Cruiser and your help and that of Beef Wellington has been invaluable, thank you.  I have built the masts and am ready to start the rigging but I have found the instructions not at all helpful, where should I start, I guess from the stern?  Should I fit the stunsail boom first?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

To answer my own question, and thanks Mort for your input. :)

I started with the lower fore yards working up and worked towards the stern, I had already positioned the Stays, if I was doing it again I would leave the stays until the yards were positioned.  Once that Gaff and driver booms were completed and rigged I went back to the bow and completed the bowsprit and spiritsail yard.

Apart from a few adjustments and positioning of anchors I believe I will have completed the model.

Next job will be to add a captain and perhaps a few crew and a ships boat. :dancetl6:

Thanks to all who have helped with their pictures etc :D

Hi I am building HMS Cruiser and your help and that of Beef Wellington has been invaluable, thank you.  I have built the masts and am ready to start the rigging but I have found the instructions not at all helpful, where should I start, I guess from the stern?  Should I fit the stunsail boom first?

Thanks

Hi Davemc

Sorry for the delay, I was away from home...

Any pics to provide from your log?

To answer my own question, and thanks Mort for your input. :)

I started with the lower fore yards working up and worked towards the stern, I had already positioned the Stays, if I was doing it again I would leave the stays until the yards were positioned.  Once that Gaff and driver booms were completed and rigged I went back to the bow and completed the bowsprit and spiritsail yard.

Apart from a few adjustments and positioning of anchors I believe I will have completed the model.

Next job will be to add a captain and perhaps a few crew and a ships boat. :dancetl6:

Thanks to all who have helped with their pictures etc :D

Have you completed the model?

How longtime have you been engaging with her construction Davemc?

Cheers

Stergios

Edited by Stergios

• 2 weeks later...