Niagara by patrickmil - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th

Thanks Robert. I don't plan on putting her in a case for a while. My family and I will be moving within a couple of years and I will most likely develop a case then. Plus, I still have a bit to do on her anyhow.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

hi there Patrick......you've done quite a bit with your rigging since I last got a chance to look in.   looking very good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, thanks for looking in and thanks for the compliment. I'm figuring on at least several more months on her. 

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Patrick, your ship looks absolutely awesome! I can hardly wait to see her with the rigging completed.

Viewing your photos of the entire ship was almost shocking in regard to the height of the masts. The specifications state 27” in height, but seeing it is an eye opener, especially with the rigging you have in place.

Your build is a motivator for notices such as myself.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry, thanks for looking in. It is taller than what I expected as well. Once I get the boom and gaff installed I think it will help 'round out' the overall appearance and she won't look as tall. I've got the boom shaped and am adding all the bits and pieces. The gaff shouldn't take but an hour when I get the time. Thanks for the compliment.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

They don't call 'em 'Tall Ships' for nuttin'  :cheers:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice work Patrick, she's looking neat and trim!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank, thanks for stopping in. In MSW 2.0 I want to have friends that aren't shooting cotton balls. LOL. Thanks for the compliment.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Having a ship at the stage yours is at is great no matter how long you take to finish because she is already a mantle piece. I'm sure you must often poke your head into the room she is docked from time to time and just enjoy the view.

Brian

Brian, this is high praise indeed. I do enjoy looking at her and am looking forward to starting on my running rigging. I almost have my boom completely assembled. After that I have to get my gaff shaped and put together and once they are mounted I can begin on stringing up the tan lines. I felt like I had a good rope for my anchor hawsers but am not so sure now. It's just another hurdle to leap over.

Funny thing, I was watching a special on the USS Constellation on the History Channel. It was about her role in anti-slavery in the African squadron and toward the end, I do believe I saw the Niagara standing in for some shots of a tall ship. First of all, it was a fantastic show and very factual, and secondly, there was a lot of footage of tall ships in there. I was very impressed by the History Channel's presentation of the subject matter.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

it is something to read how tall the mast are........then you see them in the flesh........yeowzza!   looking forward in seeing more pictures!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for looking in Popeye!. I was somewhat surprised with how tall they turned out, but it really adds to the wow and size factor. I think the boom and gaff will help to give it more horizontal girth when I get them added. We'll see though....

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Veeeeery Sweeeeet Patrick.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the encouraging post Mobbsie! I should have some more progress to post soon.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a bit since I have posted an update. The boom and gaff took a bit to construct and rig. Along the way I broke the tiller from the rudder so I had to redo it and it's steering rigging. I feel that it has a cleaner look to it now so it was a small blessing in disguise. I finally found a rope for my anchors' hawsers and the leader rope for them. Jo-Ann Fabrics and Michaels are treasure troves for the model ship builder. I'll be doing some more work and hopefully will have some more progress posted soon. As always, thanks for stopping by and please feel free to offer any tips, suggestions, or criticism. 

post-122-0-95400200-1363906045.jpg

post-122-0-17906300-1363906051.jpg

post-122-0-08600100-1363906052.jpg

post-122-0-90720900-1363906052.jpg

post-122-0-83724000-1363906053.jpg

post-122-0-25418100-1363906054.jpg

post-122-0-76068500-1363906054.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Here are a few more pictures with the rigging in place.

post-122-0-68027300-1363906136_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-80028300-1363906137_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-16034100-1363906139_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-43168100-1363906140_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-28918700-1363906141.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Nice work on the boom and gaff.  I like the sheaves you have there.  Rigging looks good.  Sorry about the tiller but it looks fine now!!!

You're right--- we are looking very similar!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks for looking in Augie. I guess they should be somewhat similar since they are both brigs, We're neck and neck on these builds.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

You're in luck.  I've got to take 2 days off from the shop.  Get ahead so I can see what's coming!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

superb work on the gaffs and booms.........they look very nice in their prospective places :)   if you had a problem with the tiller.....I would never know it........you have one beautiful ship there!  nice work!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Rich and Popeye, thanks for looking in and the compliments. I'd like to have some more pictures up after this weekend but we'll see. I have to do a little traveling this weekend but hopefully I'll get some time with my ship.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Robert, thanks for looking in. The last shot is my favorite. The gaff and boom help to not make her look so ungainly and tall.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick,

Absolutely inspiring and your right, the gaff and boom really makes the built look more balanced. I'm adding the last photo to my desktop.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Patrick,

I forgot to comment on your cradle. I've waffled on how to mount my build numerous times, with my current plan being a cradle. Your design looks very nice and goes very well with the ship. Are your plans to secure the ship to the cradle or let it sit loose?

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry, thanks for looking in. She currently sits loose in her cradle. I am thinking about putting a locating pin in the cradle to give it a bit more stability but I don't think I will ever permanently secure her to the cradle. BTW, thanks for the compliment of adding that photo to your desktop. If you're interested, I can take some measurements of the cradle and post them here for you.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick, just went through your log with a lot of pleasure by seeing such a nice built. Fantastic job. 

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

John, welcome aboard to my build log. Thanks for the compliment! This has been a fun ship to build.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne