Niagara by patrickmil - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th

Larry, thanks for looking in. She currently sits loose in her cradle. I am thinking about putting a locating pin in the cradle to give it a bit more stability but I don't think I will ever permanently secure her to the cradle. BTW, thanks for the compliment of adding that photo to your desktop. If you're interested, I can take some measurements of the cradle and post them here for you.

Thank you! I would appreciate having the info.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi Patrick....this is one great looking ship you have built!  I am just starting the masting/rigging on my Niagara and I have been referring to your build log and photos which I find very helpful to supplement the kit instructions.  Thanks for sharing your work!

David

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

Hi Patrick,

Nice to see some progress.

The overview picture looks really great.

That's a real beauty!

Very nice job on the rigging!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Larry, I will get the cradle measurements and pictures up as soon as I get a chance.

Dave, thanks for looking in. You should get a build log started with your Niagara. It's never too late in a build to show us all your masterpiece.

Sjors, thanks for looking in. I hope to have some more progress up soon. The running rigging is going a little quicker than I'd previously thought it would go.

Ken, thanks for looking in too. I think I'm going  to stick with the current cradle I'm using for this build. I didn't want to screw her down to any mountings so I would have the freedom to move the Niagara around slightly in her cradle. I may put some decorative pieces on to the vertical cradle pieces to improve it's looks though.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hello Patrick, can I join the chorus and tell you just how great your work looks.  Truly inspirational.  My hat is off to you by seeing this build to it's end (or soon there to be) and giving it your full measure of skill and devotion.  When you finish I would like to request that you take copious amounts of photos of her so that we all can find encouragement on those days that we need it.  

Brian

Brian, thanks a bunch for the compliments and encouragement. After this post (and photos) my next progress posting should have the coarse yard lifts and some halliards and downhauls. I'm looking forward to diving into this part of the rigging as it will help give my Niagara that "busy" look we all strive for when we order that fully rigged ship.

Larry, Here are some photos of the plans from my cradle. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

post-122-0-72641400-1364086154.jpg

post-122-0-08661100-1364086155.jpg

post-122-0-39465800-1364086155.jpg

post-122-0-70098100-1364086155.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank you Patrick. I appreciate your taking time to do this.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

It was no trouble at all Larry. That's what our informal Niagara club is all about.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Patrick,

At my Mirage I need also a standard.

I think I'm using yours…...

I only have to measure it to mm instead of inches.

But I like what I see!

Sjors, that's quite a compliment! I used the ship's plans of the bulkheads to figure out where the uprights would make contact with the hull of the ship. One note here... I cut some felt and glued it to the uprights so there wouldn't be any scratches on the hull. Once I am finished with my rigging I will put locating pins into the uprights so my Niagara will be removable from it's base but it won't slide around when it's at rest. I'm thinking I should have more rigging updates later today.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I was lying to you Patrick,

It is not for the Mirage but for the San Ildefonso…...

I'll just wait and see what you are doing with the rigging.

And you know it………I love pictures!

Hey Patrick...... the addition of the gaffs really balances the whole look... nice work on those.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank, thanks a bunch for looking in. I've got a couple more things to get in place and then I am going to post an update. The running rigging really helps fill the dead space and I am starting to get excited with the overall look of things. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Derek. Thanks for stopping by. I bought mine off of Ebay and got a pretty good deal. It was right around $180 after shipping. It's been a fun kit to work on, but I am definitely chomping the bit for something larger now.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Derek. Thanks for stopping by. I bought mine off of Ebay and got a pretty good deal. It was right around $180 after shipping. It's been a fun kit to work on, but I am definitely chomping the bit for something larger now.

Larger?  What do you have in mind ?  It's nearly that time :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Patrick, thanks for stopping by. The rigging is my favorite part of building these ships. Thanks for the kind words.

Augie, I have to build MS's Constitution after this. My admiral only allows one drydock at a time. She will definitely be bigger. I'd like to get to a point where I could scratch the ship of the line Ohio at 1/64. We'll see though.

I should have some pictures up tonight. I've got the halliards rigged and am working on the slack/unused clew lines and reef tackle. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

May as well go for the gusto.  The Constitution is a beauty...a LOT more going on then our 2 current builds.  But I'm glad you chose her.  Briddoch has a beautiful build in progress on here (as you probably know).

I'm undecided.  The new ME 'Essex' may be it.....provided they ever release it AND they put out a rigging kit.  The trouble is that both she, and your Constitution, are 5/32".  I wish they were 1/48!!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Note to Derek

I bought my Niagara from Model Shipways in the US using debit card

Once it is on its way you get a UPS or FedEx tracking number so I could watch it

winging its way across the Pacific.

There is a thread running on ME pricing and the owner of ME is a member here.

So you could get in touch with them and get a quote

It would be good because I dont think we have a member of the Niagara Club in the UK :)

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

It may seem like a small update, but this rigging is time consuming! I have all my halliards strung up except the flag halliards. I also have the course yard lifts and course yard's clew lines and reef tackle rigged. My next step will be rigging the rest of the topsail running rigging. After that, it will be down to the braces and then ship's boats and anchors. Also, a picture of a side project managed to sneak in with the others. Brewing beer is a great distraction when you are waiting for glue to dry.

Augie, It is a shame about the scale on the Constitution and Essex, but they are still bigger models than our current builds. I have a lot of plans for my Constitution pertaining to the period I want to model her in and I plan on installing lighting and giving her a full gun deck. I'll be replacing the basswood deck planking with boxwood and she will have furled sails. That is the tentative plan for her now, but that's always subject to change. 

Ken, thanks for chiming in with your buying experience. Niagara is such a beautiful ship that it'd be a shame if she couldn't be offered across the globe.

post-122-0-92195900-1364470643_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-32778000-1364470644_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-30481100-1364470657_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

nice looking rigging Patrick.......she's really a beaut!  ;)   gonna throw a party with all that Hooche?  :)   I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas....I already made the batch that came with it.......it was pretty good.....not much of a kick though.  do you do it from start to finish?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, I have brewed from grain and also from the malt extracts. The extracts provide a more consistent product if you are trying to brew the same beer over and over. This kit came from a brewing website and it's exactly the same way store bought beer is brewed, just on a smaller scale. I started with a cream stout base and added two times more malt, a little honey and a little corn syrup and used turbo yeast instead of what was provided. This brings up the potency. To get rid of the esters from the yeast, I cold brewed a little coffee and added some cocoa powder to it. These were added at the time that picture was taken. I'm aiming for a really dark stout that is a bit on the heavy side. When you brew again, one little trick you can use is to add a crushed up Beano tablet to the wort. This will help break complex sugars into simple sugars that yeast love to feast on and may bring up the kick a little.

In keeping to forum rules here... I am having trouble getting this nylon rope to lay down naturally without the use of glue, Does anyone have any advice. The topsail lifts need to hang and I want them to look naturally sagged. I know... the topsails really should be lowered without any sails on them, but I really do prefer the look of having them in their raised positions.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

you could set them up........and weight them,  after washing them down with diluted white glue.   I know a lot of folks use the bees wax for their lines,  but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for the tip. I will have to give it a try.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I have a lot of that cotton thread,  that I've gotten from the Billing kits........I find that it fuzzes out too much.  I've never used the bees wax and wonder if it sets well with different glues.   I have stretched and treated it in this way.....not to get it sopping wet,  but enough to dampen it.   apply it with a sponge and let it dry a bit before using it.   surely....give it a try and see if this method works for your particular problem.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm going to line up multiple stretched of this nylon string and suspend it and then I will apply some diluted PVA to it and see what happens. I'll also test a piece that is soaked with think CA to see what works better.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Surprise, surprise......a Beerfest!  Better living through Chemistry :D  :D .

I see you've given Constitution quite a bit of thought already.  Like you, I've been thinking some alternate woods for my next build.  Looks like folks have had some really good experiences with the suppliers listed on here and the bassword I used on this build was marginal, at best. 

Niagara looks great.  Tough getting pics when they hit this size and you're trying to show different aspects.  Occupational hazard!

On getting lines to flow......this is a problem.  What I do is first stretch the lines either by hanging them with some weight attached or by clamping an end down, pulling taught and then clamping the other end.  I can't tell you how long----it depends on the line.  Long enough so it doesn't spring back when you release it.  On Morope I do the same but it ALWAYS maintains some 'spring'.

Then I wax it with beeswax and rub it in good.  I might then draw it through a paper towel moistened with 91% isopropanol.  At this point it should lay flat and be pretty supple.  But to be honest it's still tough to get a natural swag.  So I may positon it and let it sit a few days with LIGHT weight on it...like an alligator clip or two.  At this point, praying seems to help.  Now one fellow on here suggested something I haven't yet tried....... once it's more or less 'set' hit it with hairspray.  This sounds logical but also perhaps a mess once it's on board.

Just things to think about.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm testing some things out. I'll have a picture of the rig in a few minutes.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne