Niagara by patrickmil - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th

Thanks for looking in Sjors. I'm posting a few pictures to show some overall progress. I think it's also helping to motivate me to finish her up since I'm so close to the end of this build.

post-122-0-25199400-1393103877_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-93534200-1393103877_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Wow!  What a beauty!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie, thanks for the compliment. I'm hoping I will have the time (and motivation) for regular updates from now on.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Just what Augie is saying...It's a beauty !!!!!

A few more things and she is ready for the Gallery !

And a nice place in your house !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks Sjors. I'm toying with the idea of a case for Niagara. I've got some big wood toys out in the garage that have been sitting idle with the cold weather.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick she's coming along nicely, gives me inspiration to keep working on my Morgan so I can start the Niagra. Really nice, congrats on a fine model....just a little bit to go.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hey John, thanks for the word. I'd like to see your finished Morgan also so we can add another to the Niagara club. I'm trying to get the build time in where I can.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Yes, hopefully won't be too long till I join the club....it's getting to be a rather good sized group.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Bob, I'm chomping at the bit to get started on the Constitution, so I would like to wrap up Niagara without doing a rush job on her.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hey there Patrick ,I've not started the rigging on my build yet, too much work around the house has to be tended to. Did you use the rigging supplied in the kit, I find it a bit difficult to use , it must be a type of nylon thread , I prefer the cotton threads which are used in artesania kits. Anyways your ship looks great!

AJ, I have purchased my own rigging thread from various craft stores like Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. I used a bit of what was supplied in the kit but I always pull off too much in case of some mistakes here and there (which I make frequently). I stuck with the nylon/poly type of thread and rope as they don't get fuzzy as easily as cotton. I do use linen thread though for siezing since it's the only thing I could find that was very thin. I will try to take a picture of the lines I have used and maybe give you an idea of something that could work for your rigging when the time comes.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Patrick,

She a real beauty mate and deserves a case.

It's always a little sad when a build comes to an end, all the emotions felt while building have come to an end but what is left cannot be measured, a mixture of pleasure and pride and not least self criticism.

When she's complete sit back and enjoy her mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie, I like the idea of a case but just don't think I can swing it with the available space in my home. The ships rest comfortably up on shelves. 

AJ, here are some of the threads and ropes I bought and have used extensively along with what came in the kit. One other thing I found to be very convenient was annealed steel wire. This was handy for making black metal objects that didn't require soldering. 

post-122-0-91287200-1393284112_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

A small update... The main mast is as rigged with tan line as it's going to get without sails. Any comments will be appreciated as always. Thanks for looking in.

post-122-0-88884700-1393295724_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

she looks really sweet Patrick!  yea......when I would finish a build,  I would get all warm and fuzzy  :)    now I just get warm.....the congratulatory shot! ;)   your almost there!    very nice indeed! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye. I've got the starboard side of the fore mast to do still and then the lines that span the masts and yards. Then I will officially be done with rigging.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

FINISHED WITH RIGGING!!!!!!!!!!! It's time for a beer (or eight). I've got to put some flags and ship's boats on her and I'll notch the old belt for a third time. This has been the most complex rigging I've ever attempted and I have made a ton of mistakes. Most of these mistakes have been left in place because I like the way it looks versus the historical accuracy and it is a good reminder to examine rigging plans more carefully. I should have the ship's boats and flags in place in a couple of days. I'm looking for ideas on flags. I've got the 15 star flag and the famous "DONT GIVE UP THE SHIP" flag printed up for both sides but I don't think just using paper is going to be enough. Any ideas? 

post-122-0-84736000-1393724709_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-37939900-1393724710_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-37574100-1393724711_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick:

Congratulations on a fine model. It looks great. Well done.

I think the 15 star flag will do nicely. :)

Russ

A well deserved congratulations.  Very majestic, indeed.

I'll be looking to see your decision on the flag and the deployment of the ship's boat.  Do you plan to case her?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

she looks great Patrick!  the rigging really fills her out nicely........congratz ! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

AJ, glad I cold be of some limited help there. Russ and Augie, thanks for looking in. I've got the flags printed up on paper from my printer. My only issue is that I don't think that just paper alone is going to do the trick for me with getting that realistic look. I'm looking for suggestions on if there is something I can adhere these to or another method of making the flags with something besides paper. Popeye, thanks as well for looking in. A three year saga is almost over.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi Patrick,

There is a neat trick for making paper flags look a little more realistic. After you print them out, but before folding them, cut out a piece of aluminum foil whose dimensions are slightly less than one side of the unfolded flag. Glue the foil to one half of the back of the flag and then fold it and glue it together. The foil will help hold the curves and folds that will make it look like it is "in the wind."

The next step is from Chuck's Syren practicum (if it is available online at the Model Shipways site then refer to that because he explains it better than I can), get several dowels of different diameters and starting with the largest dowel on the line that runs between the upper "inboard" corner of the flag to the lower "outboard" corner, start alternating folds in each direction, using smaller dowels as you work your way towards the the other 2 corners. You may have to make several tries, and bear in mind that if the the halyard which the flag is hanging from is vertical, or at an angle, that will affect the axis of the alternating folds as they relate to the edge of the flag, while you should always start the initial fold from the upper inboard corner the lower end of the line may have to be somewhere along the bottom edge, not necessarily the corner, that will give you the proper "drape". Keep trying until it looks natural, the foil is pretty forgiving. You can make the flag look like it is in a stiff wind, hanging limp in calm air, or anywhere in between. Here is one of my flags that I used this method:

Hope this helps

Tim

post-484-0-30524100-1393761534_thumb.jpg

Edited by schooner

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Tim, that is a fantastic idea. Thanks a million. I will be trying that when I get home from work provided I don't get buried by impending white doom.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Sjors and Ben, thanks again for looking in and the words of encouragement.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Congratulation's Patrick! She looks great. If my build turns out half as well I'll be satisfied.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)