Niagara by patrickmil - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th

Larry and Bob, thanks for the kind compliments. I'd like to get some flags and boats hung tonight. We'll see...

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

My many thanks goes out to Tim for the tip on realistic looking flags. I had scoured this website for ideas and tried several out. I had limited success with using the aluminum from a beer can and found it to be a little stiff. The foil did the trick though. I've included some pictures of my process. I've finished with the 15 star flag and will hang the "DONT GIVE UP THE SHIP" flag tomorrow. I know... I know... A rather small update, but I did include pictures and I am making progress. As always thanks for looking in and if you have criticism to offer, let me have it.

post-122-0-60350200-1393811659_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-33395800-1393811660_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-20584600-1393811661_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-87205700-1393811661_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-74254200-1393811662_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Love it.  Have to remember that.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

any small update is a good update Patrick........it's always the finishing touches that are the tiniest....but they are the most important!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pictures are always welcome  :D  :D  :D

Nice one with "don't give up the ship "

Maybe there is another one with not abandon the build ?  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sailor and Augie, thanks for dropping in for a look. Popeye, I should have another small update tonight. Sjors, I'll see what I can do for the flag you have suggested.  :P

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Congrats Patrick, it really looks nice. I want to start on mine in the hopefully near future....like next year. It really shaped up nicely...job well done.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

John, thanks for stopping by and for your compliment. Of course we'd all like to see you start yours sooner, but this is definitely a hobby that can't be rushed. I have finished with flags. I got the famous "DONT GIVE UP THE SHIP" flag and the Pennsylvania state flag hung from their masts. I included a picture of all three flags hung and I like the effect the foil gives to them. This leaves me with the ship's boats and some touch up painting here and there and I'm finished with her.

post-122-0-72928900-1393898823_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-31285400-1393898824_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-94243700-1393898824_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Awesome build, Patrick!  I'll be consulting the flag ideas when I reach that point (hopefully before 2020).  I've put my Niagara build on hold for awhile to focus on my Cutty Sark.

If you don't mind me asking, did you print directly to the foil, or use a printed decal/transfer or paper?

Keep up the great work!  (not like there's much left) :dancetl6:

~Bob (rfolsom)

Hey Bob, thanks for the kind words. I printed the flags on regular good old paper and sandwiched the foil in between the two pieces. You have to really exaggerate the round bends in the flag because they spring back somewhat. I'm sure there is a better way than using regular paper. The idea for the flags came from Tim, aka schooner, and it's a method I think I will use for good.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks for looking in Sjors. I'm posting a few pictures to show some overall progress. I think it's also helping to motivate me to finish her up since I'm so close to the end of this build.

very nice build Patrick,

impressive rigging, Looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, thanks for the praise. It means a lot to me to receive compliments from such talented builders.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

You really nailed those flags Patrick - I'm glad that technique worked for you.

For those folks who want to try this themselves I forgot to mention the type of glue to use. Rubber cement or one of those kid's glue sticks from the school supply section of the supermarket work best. Avoid CA - that just turns the flag into a stiff board that can't be furled. White glue has a lot of water in it and can soak thru the paper causing the ink to blur or run.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Tim, the rubber cement worked perfectly. It took some figuring on what to use because there isn't much that will really stick to the foil.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I've run sail cloth through the printer...........I have the the Testor's decal maker.   I import the flag design,  size it with the program,  and then print.   then I spray it with the decal bonder to prevent the ink from running.   it's easy to shape after it is assembled on the rigging.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Patrick,

I save a place for you at the Gallery !

A few more things and then finished !

Great feeling should that be !

And you can be proud of her !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Popeye, something tells me my printer would fall apart if I tried something like running sail cloth through it. The decals aren't a bad idea, but the paper and foil method seems to be okay for now. I might try out the decal paper for some other plastic subjects I'm working on though. I've got a couple of tanks and planes that are going to need some markings. Sjors, thanks for the spot reservation. I'm going to be working on the ship's boats tonight. I'll get some pictures posted as I get these hung.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I'm not talking about decals......I'm talking about printing right on the sail cloth.   let it set a while for the ink to dry,  and then hit it with the bonder......I notice that this product can be purchased separately now.

Testors

this is the basic decal maker......if you read the description,  it will tell you how to get the standard edition {which is what I have}  the basic will not allow you to import images and designs,  but the standard one will.  from there you can alter it and change it to whatever you want, and it even comes with some common decal designs and insignias

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for clarifying on your process Popeye. That sounds like a more authentic process for flags. Do you ever have the problem with the ink running when it hits the fabric?

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

the only time I've run into a problem,  is when I put in a new cartridge.   usually I run a picture or two through it,  use up some of the ink,  and then once when I go to use it,  to get the ink moving.   I tried the idea of diluted white glue,  and found out what it does......that's why i use the decal bonder.  I let it sit for a bit to dry,  and then I spray it with the bonder........it dries very quickly,  and doesn't give the ink time to become solvent and bleed.   a light coat to lock it in........another coat to seal it.   when the flag is cut out,  it helps quite a bit with the fraying issues that can happen.   the flag will be two sided,  so it is folded over the thread and white glue can be used to do this.   it can be stitched as well at this point.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Pat, but it's gonna be a while before I can start. The Morgan has a long way to go yet, and I'm getting the itch to get started on my annual RV trip out west as soon as the weather allows. I like your flags, and it seems like Dennis has some good ideas for them also....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

John, I know what you mean... Every year some friends of mine and I go out camping and fishing for four days. This is around when we start getting very excited about getting away. Where we go there is no cell phone coverage and most of the time you don't see any other people. As far as the flags go I will most likely try that method out when I get to my Constitution. I was hoping to have this ship finished by now but had to put more work into the ship's boats than I realized. I don't have pictures yet but should by the end of the weekend.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Just about at the same point with my small group planning the summer fishing getaway.  3 days away and we have 'material' that lasts a whole year.

Don't rush those ship's boats!  She's so close now.  Connie can wait!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Patrick, just now catching up........ your build looks great!!!, nice job....... and I know your happy !!!!... it's always nice to see a finished build.

I'm right behind you :D :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Augie, we always wait until June and usually get some good fishing in and we have our saying "what happens while camping doesn't come home". Frank, glad to see you posting. We're all waiting for updates to your log of course. I finally got some spare time after a very busy week to get some work accomplished on the Niagara. I have hung the starboard quarter-boat and put the gripes in place. Any criticism or question is welcome.

post-122-0-84777900-1394321454_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-26066800-1394321455_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-69994100-1394321455_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

looks awesome Patrick!   what a nice addition to the build!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: