HMS Surprise by Waitoa - Mamoli - Scale 1:75

Hi

After years of reading the books decided to take the plunge and build the ship that features so heavily. I chose the Mamoli kit in the knowledge that it does not bear much resemblance to the real Surprise or those that appeared in the movie or books. My choice was driven partially due to the size and my little boy has insisted that I add a crew.

I will make some modifications to this model so it is closer to how I imagined the Surprise to look which has been coloured by the movie and some of the other kits out there. I am very slow in building but am using this log as a motivation to keep going. Will try to post some photos later on once I figure out how to do so.

Just posted the normal unboxing photos as an experiment.

post-2873-0-61119600-1404835230_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

Please see photos bringing the build up to date. The figures are Newline minatures and at 20 mm I think they are around the right scale for the ship but not convinced that the cannon barrels are right for 9 pounders as think they should be thicker and longer. Any advice would be welcome. Also I have cut three hatch holes into the frame. Two will have ladders with sliding hatches and a false deck at the bottom. The middle one will have a hatch covering it. In looking around I think that middle hatch should have been a little further forward but I got a bit confused on which line I was cutting too. Opps! I think the framing is kind of in line and been using the deck template to try to make sure. The lower deck got stuck while dry fitting it so had to knock a few nails while it was being glued as I could not get it off again.

post-2873-0-33262600-1404852151_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-94563000-1404852199_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-89821000-1404852242_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

Very good, I eagerly await your expierience. I think that you picked a nice project..

I don't pretend to be taken too seriously, but there's a rule of thought not to force a joint too much. Maybe if you figure out where it's sticking, and why, you might find a small problem to correct. Just staring at it a while, sometimes helps. If you force it, the pressure will always be there, looking for a weakness.

Best of luck,

Steve

Hello Waitoa!

I found your log !   I am so glad you started the log and I will be following along every step of the way!

I had the very same problems with my lower deck, however mine is also a little twisted which I will need to deal with.  Was yours nice and flat?

Thank you again for going to the trouble of making a log!

Bindy

I'm in the ol easy chair and ready to watch both logs in progress. :cheers:

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, agree bashing things usually results in more work but I never learn....... I have a habit of glueing myself to things as well which provides a great deal of mirth in my household.

Bindy my deck is not totally flat, slight curve which I am guessing is meant to be the camber and most likely why it was so much fun to fit. I flattened this out a bit as was so pronounced that it looked pretty silly. Just adding some balsa fillers as I want to make the bow less pointed along the lines of the other kits and books I have seen.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Working from home and as part of my work avoidance strategy decided to post an update. I have treated myself to a new toy in the form of an Amati Master Cut. Which is basically a guillotine. This explains the framing around the hatches as although I am sure not historically correct it looks pretty .....

post-2873-0-62823100-1407853928_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-16814900-1407853984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thought it was time for another update. While the other logs inspire us to push our skills and techniques further I am guessing mine may be more along the lines of what to avoid. Near completion of the first false deck and as the photo below shows that there is a significant overhang.post-2873-0-09590500-1410268236_thumb.jpg

I first thought I was paying for my bash it with a hammer approach but the overhang is pretty even on each side. I will trim it back but as it is a Mamoli model the gun ports are metal frames that slot into the false deck through a series of notches and most of these will be lost.

I have attached a photo to show how these are meant to work but when I get to this stage I think I will try to do something different as it looks like these would stand proud to the outer planking and spoil the whole look. Any suggested alternatives would be greatly received.

post-2873-0-78810000-1410268747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

Hi Waitoa!

You are a little ahead of me so I can't suggest any alternatives sorry.

But I would like to say your decking looks terrific! Great job! And good luck with your overhand issue.

Hi Bindy

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy the hobby but tend to get demotivated when I hit a set back so using this log as a way to spur me on. Have trimmed back the over hang, looks a bit rough and needs a good sand. On yours does bulkhead 6 look a bit too wide? Mine seems a bit to prominent so sanding back a bit so the planks flow ok.

LOOKING VERY GOOD.could you tell us ,is the  master cutter any good cheers,Ross

Hi Ross

Thanks for the feedback. I like the Master cutter as I am really bad at cutting anything straight. It is good for deck planks but for thicker planks such as those for the first planking can see that you really need a bit of force.

Waitoa

Thanks for the feedback. I like the Master cutter as I am really bad at cutting anything straight. It is good for deck planks but for thicker planks such as those for the first planking can see that you really need a bit of force.

Hi Waitoa

I agree... I got this tool too as I didn't want any skew (? - Google Translator says so...) planks anymore. Always had a problem to get really exact cuts. The tool is very good for thin planks (less than 1 mm) good für thicker planks (up to 1.5 mm) and ok for maximum 2mm. I do not recommend it fpr wooden bars more than 2 mm (eg 3/3mm). The cuts are not straight even longer when the wood gets too thick.

But as said before - for planks it is really a good tool.

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi Waitoa,

Glad to see you here and posting your build log. For many years I would get demotivated when I would hit a building snag or something I did 15 steps prior came back to bite me. I gradually learned to accept some of my errors, and correct others. I've looked at building ship models as a learning experience, and you don't learn unless you make mistakes. I've also learned to live with some bulding errors because I'll remember that error on my next build.

And half the time I actually remember :D

Looks good!

Thanks,

Harvey

Hi Waitoa,

Glad to see you here and posting your build log. For many years I would get demotivated when I would hit a building snag or something I did 15 steps prior came back to bite me. I gradually learned to accept some of my errors, and correct others. I've looked at building ship models as a learning experience, and you don't learn unless you make mistakes. I've also learned to live with some bulding errors because I'll remember that error on my next build.

And half the time I actually remember :D

Looks good!

Thanks,

Harvey

Hi Harvey

Thanks for your comments, you are doing well to remember half of the time. I think I have a gold fish memory now what was I commenting on .......

Hi there Waitoa!

I am not quite sure what you mean about the wide bulkhead sorry.  Do you mean the 6th one along?  And sticking out a bit far?  I think mine looks ok, but I can take photo's of mine if that helps?

I begin work properly on mine today so I will take lots of photos in case they help in any way for you.

Good luck!

@ Bindy

We all cant await for your pics... and that build log. It will give us all a lot of inspiration :)

Good luck - and please surprise us all

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi there Waitoa!

I am not quite sure what you mean about the wide bulkhead sorry.  Do you mean the 6th one along?  And sticking out a bit far?  I think mine looks ok, but I can take photo's of mine if that helps?

I begin work properly on mine today so I will take lots of photos in case they help in any way for you.

Good luck!

Hi Bindy

Sixth one along from the bow. The curve flares out as it gets to the first false deck and just looks a bit weird. I think I may have also been staring at it a bit too long so may do the hatches on this deck before attempting the planking. Looking forward to seeing how you get on and good luck with your build.

Waitoa

Hi

Finally finished the first false deck planking. Big thanks to Ulises Victoria who posted a guide on the way to get the different patterns. I did lose the order a few times but very little will be seen so thinking of this as a training run. One day I will get the courage to do trenails but think this scale is a bit too small. I used Danish oil to seal based on advice from this forum and really happy with the result.

In the top deck I may try to improve my planking by having them run into a margin plank (not sure if that is the right term). Did not do it this time around as you can see it is pretty rough at the edges. Carved away the false deck that was over hanging so I could get a nice smooth line on which to lay the outer planking. Started already on the hatches as you can see as need to do some detail things done to motivate me for the first planking which usually causes me the most challenge.

post-2873-0-64873200-1410982701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Having to slow up a bit on the build as work and life is getting more hectic. I have finished the basic hatches for the first false deck. The ladders and sliding hatches will be attached once I have carried out the first planking. I went for sliding hatches instead of the more open stairs shown in the plans by Lavery and Hunt as I had seen this arrangement in the A/L version.

This decision was primarily driven by not wanting to have to remove too much of the bulkhead to create a visible false deck. This would have been relatively large to cover the space that would have been exposed to view. If this had been done I would have had to reinforce the framing a lot to prevent warping and twisting. As I progress with this build I am guessing could become an issue and can see a slight twist that I will have to correct when I do the first planking.

So on to the first planking which is something I always manage to get wrong so I had better stock up on wood putty and to spare any embarrassment will only post another entry when it is done and my nerves have settled down.

post-2873-0-12974500-1412437459_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-42682700-1412437488_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thought I would post a small update on where I am at. I am not very tidy when I do my first planking and always try to get better. I have found though with sand paper and filler you can usually get a good base for the second and final planking. I never spend enough time on the preparation of the frames so may have to correct one a bit as the planks dip a bit on the unplanned side.

Next time really keen to try a rabbet? Think that will help with keeping it tidy. Still addicted to using pins but again want to move away from this on my next build. Using a method I got off this forum where you lay the planks on there natural run and then shape the others to fill in the spaces. I know it is not the 'correct' method but works for me.

I hope this is some help.

Regards

Waitoa

post-2873-0-86249000-1415718540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your log. I was really havin a hard time with determining what decking and planking goes where. The wood color chart is useless since the shade difference is so subtle. I tried going by measurement but not only are much of the lath the same size but I don't get the measurements. for instance what is 5, 4x5 lath I didn't  see any of that size in mm. Anyway at least I know the lower deck is the lightest lath "Tanganyka" right? it sure doesn't match the chart
Thanks for letting me check out your log. Very helpful. That is if you got it right Ha Ha.

Edited by captain71

Hi captain71,

Welcome aboard. Not 100% sure I got the various woods right as pretty much abandoned there colour chart and guessed on previous experience so fingers crossed I got it right. Saw your log and will follow with interest. Have been taking a bit of a break as in NZ for Christmas but when I get back to England will start working on the Surprise again and hopefully we can bounce off each other's experiences. Look forward to seeing some posted pictures.

Waitoa

I can see that you've cut holes in the false deck for your grating. I'm assuming this is your own modification for authenticity as there's nothing on the plans

(which suck by the way) that show this. Am I missing something? Do we have the same plans?. Mine seem to be missing alot of details. I'm hacking away at the lower planking now, but as a Carpenter, I would have thought to put the the grating frame in first and plank up to it. The plan suggest to plank the whole thing, then work on the grates. I like your go for it attitude but I don't have that kind of confidence yet. Do you know if there's a better set of plans available?

Hope I'm Not being a pest. Thanks, Captain71

Hi

No worries about asking any questions. To manage your expectations I am pretty bad at building boats but will try to share what limited knowledge - skills I have. The Mamoli kit is pretty much a re-boxing of a previous kit la Glorie. My very basic research shows that there was a 32 gun frigate captured by the British in 1795 and named HMS Glorie. Not sure how accurate the actual kit is as the Glorie but the HMS Surprise was a different design and while I am not a purist I would like to get close to the look of the ship that was the inspiration for the book.

To assist with this I am using the book The Frigate Surprise by Brian Lavery and Geoff Hunt. This has some pages of drawings by Karl Heinz Marquardt on what the Surprise would approximately looked like. Navis Factorum has an excellent log in the scratch build section and the other HMS Surprise models out there look more like the drawings in the book. My hatches are a mixture of looking at the book and what I could get away with using the Mamoli model as a base. I am adding hatch covers rather than stairs as when I read the books for some reason I had visions of sliding hatches and it allows me to have these open without having to cut too much into the frames to carve out a creditable false deck.

I hope this is of some use.

• 1 month later...