HMS Victory by rfolsom - 1:78 - from 1970s Sergal plans

Pieces 21 were a lot of fun, (NOT)..  The Caldercraft plans on their site are different varying scales on each different page, and I blindly cut out two of the pieces,  which didn't match.  After rescaling, my middle template did match Caldercraft, but not AOS.  Templates on the right use AOS.  Now pieces 40, 41, and 42 seem off.  Those won't be remade, but maybe shimmed a bit.  All these are (roughly) made simultaneously to find out all the little errors...

post-3909-0-23862900-1409554923_thumb.jpg

Bob, you are in great trouble, but you succesfuly move forward. Lines in drawings are thicker than a blade ? Horror. Where to cut ? Left edge, right edge or somewhere in the middle. And it is easy to get mistake 1-2 mm left or right. Especialy in complex building as Victory

Keep a good work my friend and dont forget poor CS

And Niagara

And Admiral  :piratetongueor4:

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Just a little challenge trying to scratch-build the bulkheads;  accurate, and consistent drawings are paramount.

Nenad; I always cut right outside the perimeter of the lines, then I can sand down.

I see my CS everytime I walk by the workbench, along with Niagara....

I usually work on the ships after Admiral goes to bed, so that's OK.

My legs are getting really stiff, so it's time to get off the carpet (Vic) and move into the chair (CS)...  I was 22 years old at one point in time.. :piratetongueor4::10_1_10:

You should be sleeping now, my friend?

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

This shows pieces 20 and 21 set in place on the unfinished fore part of the false keel, with stem also in place.  The glue stick is my choice for affixing the paper templates.  The false keel will be cut out along with it's bulkhead slots when all measurements are finalized.

post-3909-0-02795900-1409688633_thumb.jpg

So, 1/16" thick shims are added to pieces 41 and 42 to bring them even with pieces 21. Every single piece in these pictures are in very rough form right now, so don't think too badly of my skills, (yet).

Pieces 40 will be completely remade; just have to establish the right profile with AOS.

Those who scratch build may think these errors are a scaling issue, they are not.  It's an issue with differing bow curvature between the two plans I am using for reference.  I'm trying to adapt the basic Caldercraft plans to the AOS.  I will ultimately have a model closely following AOS, but using some structural techniques of Caldercraft, which many of our friends regard as the most accurate Vic kit out there.

post-3909-0-92120100-1409693034_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-04618900-1409693045_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

I just stumbled onto this build log now. Like you, I "inherited" a Sergal Victory, not quite as far along as yours. Mine is still 10-15 years away-I've got the Connie, Elsie, Flying Cloud and Longboat to finish first. Plus, my wife wants me to do the Agamemnon next, so it will be a while.

Something I'm trying to figure out from your log-are you correcting the kit per AOTS and Caldercraft plans, or are you using the kit as a starting point and building everthing from scratch?

Regardless, you're doing a great job. It will be an inspiration when I start on mine.

Thanks,

Harvey

Hello Harvey;  Just to let you know my mind set in 1000 words or less.. (or more)

This is a completely scratch build, with many (Calercraft) references.

A very generous friend of  ours, Dale, who is working on the Niagara, offered his '70's partially completed kit of the Victory (Sergal/Mantua)  for the price of shipping.

I was currently working on two builds (Cutty Sark and Niagara).  My ultimate goal is the "Big three"... Cutty, Connie, and Victory.  I built the former two in Revell plastic in my teens, and loved every minute of it.  They will be remade in wood in my adulthood.

I have a copy of the AOTS and had always planned on this being completely scratch-built.  Most of the  Victory kit guys say Caldercraft is the best kit to buy, and after checking out their website, they post their parts list and manuals for this great kit.

After about 3-6 hours double checking Sergal's hull, there were too many inaccuracies to fix Dale's hull. (Sergal inaccuracies, not Dale's, please note)

So, to make a long story a little bit longer, and to try to answer your question: I have an old Sergal kit; with plans; with rescaling, some bulkheads match with AOTS. Some don't.  So I went to Caldercraft and compared their pieces.  Most match, some don't..  Close enough to use their (structural) layout and adapt a little bit to AOTS.

Aots will be my final structural reference.

Edited by rfolsom

Taking a break from fiddling with the bulkheads, I decided to dig into the 40+ year old fittings box.  I'd pulled out these stamped brass gunport frames before; and thought to myself "what a shame I can't use them, they are the right dimensions."  After revisiting, (Maybe this was the kits' intention all along)  I thought about sandwiching them in between the bulwark strips and outside planking (bulwark strips don't exist yet; they'll be scratched from 1/32" sheet basswood, using Caldercraft scaled and modified to fit AOS).  So a test had to be conducted...

106 of these stamped brass frames...

post-3909-0-05061900-1410232561_thumb.jpg

Final stages of the test port.  Note no primer was used on the brass or wood, nor were many accurate paint coats, as this was only a test to see the contrasts and if the brass fittings would serve as an accurate liner substitute.  (Hence all the dark splotches.)  I'll keep this test assembly together to also test framing and inside bulwark planking when the time comes, then break it apart to retrive the brass frame...

post-3909-0-96053000-1410233272_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-09692500-1410233299_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-79724500-1410233313_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-76744500-1410233324_thumb.jpg

It looks nice, Bob

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

It looks nice, Bob

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

• 1 month later...

Look at you go, Bob! I hadn't realized you even started her. Looks really good so far. I will continue to follow your build with bated breath.

Hello, Dale;  thanks for looking in.  I've been busy with the Cutty Sark, and there's so many Victory builds it's hard to keep track of...

On the unfortunate side, I decided to completely scratch build the Victory's hull.  I thought about tearing into your build, and taking the bulkheads, etc.(Decided not...).

Anyhow, she's safely in my shipyard, as a model reference..

Edited by rfolsom

A little bit of work was done on the Vic.  Rough cut a couple more bulkheads, and stared at the plans for awhile. 

Although I base this build loosely on Caldercraft, I've noticed many errors cropping up.  The bulkheads are not lining up properly, so I'll be going completely to the AOTS.

I've rough-cut many of the bulkheads, with AOTS templates affixed, but I'll have to re-draw the alignments on the keel;  Caldercraft/Jotika is inaccurate.

• 1 month later...

Ok... I've abandoned most references to Caldercraft,  and am going for the AOTS.  This build, marked as a 1:78 kit, is all over the place.   The bower anchors are actually 1:96;  The carronades are pretty close; but the long guns are an even smaller scale.

Doing the math;  I am now making a scratch-built 1:81.5 HMS Victory.  I will fit the fittings as I see fit; and hopefully not have a fit about it..

Interesting scale Bob :

1 : 81,55345353688...

It will be precise build

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Looks like I'm late to the party! :o

Nice build so far.  At this time I think my next build is the Victory.  I already bought the large Mamoli version 10 years ago.  At the time I thought that I could bang the Cutty out in 3 or 4 years - HA, HA, HA!  What a fool I was. :P   Maybe I'll go scratch built like you.

Look forward to seeing your progression.  

By the way, don't get the Cutty's pieces and the Victory's mixed. ;)   Then again, I might make two very interesting ships! :10_1_10:

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

CS with VIC's guns? VIC with CS's sails ?

ThT will/would be something!

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

I kind of like the idea of the CS with the Vic's guns.  Think how much faster and sporty the VIC would look with the CS' sails!

We've got to talk Bob into stepping out of the box.  He's already venturing into the dark side of scratch building!

Marc