If a hatch is to be displayed open on a period ship how were the hatch cover sections stowed and how was lifting tackle arranged?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Wayne,

Specifically HMS Surprise AL 1:48.

I intend to add some below deck interest which will require an open hatch giving view to another hatch below that. I thought to infer that

items were on the move between decks by having a barrel or two adjacent to the open hatches and, maybe, a hoist rigged ready for use.

There is a wealth of written knowledge describing fixtures and fittings as you will know but not so much that I am aware of that describes how things were done. Any thoughts?

Mike. 

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

I think that, for loading, the individual hatch would be removed and stacked to the side.  It seems reasonable that some form of lift (probably not the right term) would be rigged from the mast forward of the hatch to lift and lower the barrels, crates and sundries into the hold.  I need to do a bit of digging to see what the layout on the Surprise was to see if that makes sense for loading barrels into the magazine.See the plate from Steel's The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794 below for an example.

rigging3.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. Stacked to the side is what I had imagined but if I did that without checking then, as sure as the sun rises, someone would have mentioned a "hatch rack" or some such device. I am joking really; I just wanted some input.

Thanks also for the useful illustration. I remember something from my dim and distance past about "slinging a cask end on" and the rope and hook system I am familiar with but the rest was new to me. I will file that away for future reference.

Again, many thanks,

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

For loading and unloading, probably stacked somewhere out of the way. For "Quarters", the grating were removed and sent down below to the hold.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you mtaylor,

That all makes sense. Do you have any thoughts on the rigging of a hoist for raising/lowering items?

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Thanks Zeh, that looks pretty clear. Something to think about.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

• 1 year later...

Stay tackles in conjunction with yard tackles would be used to sway out cargo from the holds.  The yards would be braced round so that the tackle was more in line with the hatch.  The tackles would be hooked to the load and the stay tackle heaved upon to hoist the cargo clear of the hatch.  Hauling on the yard tackle and easing off the stay tackle would swing the cargo over the side of the ship till the yard tackle bore all the strain.  Easing off all together would lower the cargo to the pier or the lighter alongside.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Henry, if I am not mistaken, both the main and fore yards would be used to lift really heavy 'cargo' or to launch a boat.

I recall seeing another drawing someone had published here that showed the whole process.

PS Mike, I am sorry for starting a new thread on the same subject. I just did not realize that you asked the question first. Strange how we both thought about the same subject for the same reasons.

PS Robin, that thought also occurred to me, but I am sure an experienced boats'n and captain would be prepared to do what ever. Even if it means 'man the pumps'.

But here is another thought along those lines. In bad weather the grating (hatches) would be covered with a tarp (something we never see on ship models). That would also have to be removed.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Here are a couple pictures of the model Fly by Oidtman.

The first shows how he rigged the way he envisioned a boat to be lifted.

Both a stay and a yard are being used. (I may be wrong about the stay because of the second picture).

post-246-0-66081600-1395359712_thumb.jpg

The second is more complicated, but it involves moving the boat to port using both main and fore yards

and all the tackles that are part of the whole process.

post-246-0-19320600-1395359725_thumb.jpg

Not clearly shown is the fact that both yards would have to be lashed on starboard to counteract the force being carried on the post side.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .