Red Dragon by janet bode - Artesania Latina

Very impressive work Janet!  Am looking forward to the "top" work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Janet. Let me add my compliments on your work.

As to junk sails, here's a pic of a not very lovely junk but typical, I imagine of the genre. It has been said that junk builders were not concerned with aesthetics as everything tended to be repaired with whatever was the cheapest at hand.

Does it really matter which side you place your stretchers? They'll catch the wind on either side depending upon the tack.

post-758-0-09066900-1418428297_thumb.png

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Hi Janet,

just found your build log today.  What beautiful clean work you do!!!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

• 1 month later...

Hi Janet,

Agree 100% with John as your build is amazing. I am looking forward to an update when you have time.

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Janet,

Absolutely beautiful! I agree with the industrial look of the kit sails. I wonder if fine silk would work? I kind of luck out with all the rigging and rope work. My great grandma taught me when I was little how to do fine thread crochet which I still do often. So I have an unlimited supply of thread. Because of this I've done all the sewing by hand, and the rope whipping. DMC brilliant tatting(special dentelles) size 80 comes in a lot of colors and is great to work with. Can't wait to see your sails!

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hi Frank

First i must apolagize for delay my health is not so good.I have replaced most of the wood on the detail work on the deck,

the cap rails are flexible Beech i used it because the rail has a three way twist as it rises towards the bow which i used

a soldering iron and a lot of patience i decided to pin it,the two cabin doors are mahogany the frame is stained lemon wood again

bent round round with soldering iron, the stick on metal wondows where discarded and i replaced them with frames i made from Boxwood.

Gunports through the bulwarkes are painted red the surrounds are Boxwood painted gold.

Kindest regards Janet

Hi Vivian

I too struggled with my sails,i did not use the sailcloth in the kit i bought mine at a show,however i know

Cornwall model model boats sell more suitable cloth.I made several sets before i was resonably satisfied,i

studied a number of books until i found a way to make them.So first i washed the cloth in warm water to remove

any starch and this also shrunk the cloth quite a bit,then i cut the pattern out leaving about 12mm all round tried

the pattern on the mast to make any adjustments.I then stuck it to a window with tape i then stuck the cloth over

top,then i traced the pattern on to the cloth,then using a weak mix of white glue i edged all round the pattern

wherever i had to cut (i made my border only 3mm wide) when dry cut out using your modelling knife,then using

a fairly hot iron i ironed the border down, got out my sewing m/c and just sewed all around the border,the sailcloth

seams i just sewed on.Obviosly this is not the way sail- maker would but the sails look reasionable but i think

adding sails to a Chinese Junk is justified.

Hope this is of help Vivian.

Regards Janet

menu.pdf

Edited by Janet B

• 11 months later...

To all who may have been following my build of the Red Dragon,i must apologize for no more pictures.At this moment i am very unwell,i had two

heart attacks in 2012 from which i have recovered,unfortunatly i was prescribed Statins these i have taken since then.If any one

has read the Sunday newspapers you will realise this medication has devestated my life,a completly and a fully untested drug has

put me in a wheelchair and at this moment i can do very little for myself.As i have now ceased taking this drug i hope in time i will

recover to further enjoy this wonderfull hobby.     My Dearest Regards to all.                Janet B

It's good to hear from you Janet. I'm sorry that your health has been suffering and pray that you are on the mend. Godspeed my friend.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Janet, good news you are recovering from something so drastic. It´s good to hear about you again - hope to see new pictures of your work as soon as u can bring them. Best wishes in your recovery.

I have my fingers crossed that the effects of this medication will soon be gone and you can return to a good life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Janet,

Like is for support as I am so sorry to hear of your health problems...please take care of yourself.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild