Sander drum

Hi.

Found this while looking at sanders.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-large-drum-sanders?sel=500185

It's made by Jet tools.

Should be available throughout the globe.

Going to order one to look at the quality and uses.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Further to Antony's post. I have used various sizes of sander drums mounted as shown in the following image for shaping plywood sections

post-228-0-02868800-1413055368_thumb.jpg

The various size drums are matched to their own table which is square to the drum axis. The tables can be easily removed and replaced. The base of the unit is attached to a vacuum dust extractor.

I have not used this set up for model work...yet.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Anthony, these are some sturdy looking sanding drums at a very reasonable price. Thanks for the link.

Mike, I am most curious about how good dust extraction through that box is. It looks very neat, but I'm a bit skeptical about its efficiency, especially when the piece to be sanded is taller than just a few millimeters I'm afraid that most of the dust will not make its way to the vacuum. I hope I'm wrong though. Please let us know. :)

Cheers,

Markus

- Markus

A crevise tool attached to a shopvac - mounted on top of the table at the back will get pretty much all the the wood dust.  It is just noisy.  A useful mounting method is to remove the lamp shade from an inexpensive swing lamp and attach the crevise tool and some hose to the distant arm of the lamp swing mechanism.  You can put the end of the tool where you want it and get it out of the way easily. 

I got a series of sanding drums with a slit and core hole for friction clamping, that allowed for the use of sheet sandpaper on the drum.  Neither Peachtree nor WoodCraft seem to be vending them anymore.  Norton Premium sand paper seems to hold up much better than anything else I have tried.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hello Markus,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question but I have been away in an area with little or no phone and broadband coverage. Bliss!

The dust extraction on my sanding rig is fairly good though not perfect. Lots of dust does get pulled passed the tool but not all of it. I have never used this set up on ply thicker than 12mm so the height problem does not exist. The possibility of limiting the amount of dust escaping was there so I took it. It may be worth adding a half shell at the back of the tool, also extracted, to catch the dust that spins off from the tool. Yes, I like that and I will add it.

Mike. 

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your detailed and valuable input, it looks like the combination of dust extraction through the box below with your planned hood halfway around the drum may provide a close to perfect solution. I have seen (on pictures only) such dust exracion shells around a drill press sanding drum, but the hose was attached above the table which I imagine is a bit awkward to work with, so I never persued further the idea of a drill press sander.

... but I have been away in an area with little or no phone and broadband coverage. Bliss!

Yes, being disconnected is a luxury these days, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

- Markus

- Markus

Mike,

I've seen (I think it was a couple of build logs) where the top of the box had numerous holes drilled to pull the dust that doesn't get sucked in at the sanding drum.  I have no idea about the rest of the system if it was a shop vac or high flow extractor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark,

I will try adding that idea as well. The Drum Sanding Committee may defy all logic and design the perfect system......or maybe not!

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

: