Chisels or Carving Tools

I'm look for a good set of chisels or carving tools.  I currently have a set of dockyard micro carving tool set and a set of Woodcraft bench chisels. 

I understand that sharp tools are happy tools and happy tools makes a happy modeler.

I am look for something in the middle of these.  These will be used for carving and chiseling on scratch built projects. 

Does anyone have any recomendations?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

Check out the Michi carving tools from Japan Woodworker - http://www.japanwoodworker.com/search2/search.aspx?query=michi

They are razor sharp and stay that way. Available in seveal sizes. Not cheap at all, but I really like mine and would buy them again

Cheers -

John.

Hello Shawn, Check out the couple of tags on this site relating to ship modeling tools. I'm sure they will be of some help. Down the right hand side of the screen. Hope that gives you some help. All the best.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

If you have been to Woodcraft check out the pfeil Chisels.  And ask the help for some advice.  The one I go to in Livertyville is very knowledgeable and will help you get the ones you seek.  Remember when it comes to a good blade you pay for what you get.  Plus they will have to be resharpened before you can use them.  The japanese chisels in my opinion are very good.  But they can be the wrong type for the kind of wood you are going to carve.  Sheffield made are also good as well. and easier to take care of.  Will you be using your hand most of the time or a mallet.

David B 

I bought a new carving knife awhile back and have decided to give my impressions.  Some call it a Morajknife after the maker.  They are out of Sweden and specialize i carving equipment knives and chisels.  I bought it because of the reviews I read on face book.  Needless to say the thing is dangerous.  I was sharp out of the packaging and slices through wood like a hot knife through butter.  The feel is good my only complaint is that the shape of the blade makes it difficult to use the blade for detailing.  After an hour of work the blade was still like a razor.  If anyone has this style can they inform me of the best way to use it safely and to take care of it.  

post-227-0-71593300-1418844538_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-07616300-1418844539_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-29081100-1418844539_thumb.jpg

David B

I a ready have them and I use them all the time. Especially with this knife. It is dangerous for something so small. Like all my blades I treat it with the utmost respect.

David B

Your comment about sharpening is important.  The 'best' and most expensive tools are useless unless they're sharp.  Before you buy the tools, think about how you'll sharpen them.

If you'd like to delve into making your own custom tools, go to a yard sale for spade bits (or buy a set new for $10-20 at the Orange or Blue box store).  They're good quality high-speed steel, come in a variety of useful widths and lengths, and have 1/4" shanks.  Nowadays, usually they have hex shanks that fit into an easy-to-find handle, or you can just drill a dowel or winecork and glue them in.  You can shape the spade bits with a white aluminum oxide grinding wheel (go easy and don't get them too hot), and then hone them with silicon carbide or diamond.

Hacksaw blades are also useful for making fine and flexible knives.  You can find info about shaping & tempering them in backissues of Popular Mechanics (on Google Books).

Edited by Bob Blarney

I bought a new carving knife awhile back and have decided to give my impressions.  Some call it a Morajknife after the maker.  They are out of Sweden and specialize i carving equipment knives and chisels.  I bought it because of the reviews I read on face book.  Needless to say the thing is dangerous.  I was sharp out of the packaging and slices through wood like a hot knife through butter.  The feel is good my only complaint is that the shape of the blade makes it difficult to use the blade for detailing.  After an hour of work the blade was still like a razor.  If anyone has this style can they inform me of the best way to use it safely and to take care of it.  

David B

David,

Being a Swedish-American I have my set of Mora knifes, but I haven't used them for modeling carving.

Love those knifes, and yes they stay sharp for long time even with excessive usage.

Perfect to have around when working in the yard.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I wish I could get my detail knife that sharp.  All I found was  that when I use it take it to a leather strop for a minute first.

David B

Edited by dgbot

I'm look for a good set of chisels or carving tools.  I currently have a set of dockyard micro carving tool set and a set of Woodcraft bench chisels. 

I understand that sharp tools are happy tools and happy tools makes a happy modeler.

I am look for something in the middle of these.  These will be used for carving and chiseling on scratch built projects. 

Does anyone have any recomendations?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

Hi Shawn

I have a set of old Millers Falls palm chisels that would seem to be what you are describing.  Millers Falls is no longer in business but you can find the chisels on eBay most of the time.  I think I paid about $20 for the set a few years ago.  They will probably require sharpening but (at least the ones I have) they are made of good steel and take a fine edge.

Here is a link to a set that is on eBay now  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Millers-Falls-W-Piece-Wood-Handle-Wood-Carving-Chisel-Set-Made-in-USA-/221636028749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339a89694d

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.