USS Constitution by SgtSki in MI - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC

If it helps I found the third kit I have (which includes sails). Next time in the area i will give it to you whole.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if needed. So far so good on my end though. The only problem I've encountered so far is some minor warping issues but they're manageable. The kit IS 40 years old, after all.

Edited by SgtSki in MI

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

:piratebo5:Tom  :piratebo5:

Current Builds:

1. Revell's 1/96 USS Constitution 

2. Model Shipways 1/64 Niagara 

10 February, 2015: The glue points for the gun deck and main deck have been masked and I'm ready to start on paint. I'll be using Tamiya acrylics. Flat black with a flat white gun stripe and copper below the waterline. Inside the hull will be flat green bulwarks for the main deck and flat white for the gun deck. Then comes the trimwork which I'm dreading. I think I'll go borrow my dad's magnifying lamp from his garage bench for that!

post-16583-0-29083000-1423591122_thumb.jpg

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

Current Builds:

10 February, 2015: The flat black is done on the hull and transom. I'm going to give it 24 hours before I mask and paint the gun stripe and plating. I think I'll use my low-tack 3M blue masking tape because I noticed that my Tamiya masking tape is pretty sticky. Don't want to lift any paint!

Current Builds:

From my experience, I never had lift problems with the Tamiya tape.  I have had lifting using blue 3M painters tape.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I've always loved this Revell series......too bad the Connie was the only one to survive.  I've built the Connie once,  the Cutty Sark twice, the C.S.S. Alabama once,  and now I'm starting my second build of the U.S.S. United States.  I agree that the deck of all these kits had a lot to be desired........this build of the United States is going to sport a wooden deck...already done with it at this point.

I tried the blue tape....terrible!  I now use the green Frog tape...I've had some good results so far.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

28 February 2015: I finished the gun stripe and the copper plating. Next comes the main deck bulwarks (green) and the gun deck bulwarks (white). As soon as I get a magnifying lamp I'll do the trim. For the decks I'll do wooden deck tan over flat black, the lightly sand until the black grain shows through. I know that there's a laser cut wooden main deck available, but I can't justify dropping $100 on it while the kit only cost me $60!

post-16583-0-50238700-1425142648_thumb.jpg

post-16583-0-04942700-1425142670_thumb.jpg

post-16583-0-48119700-1425142691_thumb.jpg

Edited by SgtSki in MI

Current Builds:

nice progress Tom  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Tom, looking good. On your deck, is it black plastic or some other color? I've used a medium to dark grey for the base coat on the plastic. Flat black may be too stark. Light sanding to expose the grain will work well. Some have used an india ink in isopropal alcohol wash to highlight, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The decks are molded in ivory white. I'm still deciding on flat brown or black for the undercoat because I'm thinking that black may be too stark as well. I don't think a wash would do too well because the deck detail is molded raised instead of recessed.

Current Builds:

I had forgotten many old kits had raised detail, so yes, no washes. Although, you may want to sand around the deck furniture to remove the raised grain effects on the deck "wood". It would go a ways towards making the plastic deck look like wood.

I looked at the kit instructions for a railroad flat car I did a while back. Plastic was gray to start. Washed it in "Dawn" to remove mold release agents; paint sticks better to clean plastic.  I painted the plastic an enamel earthy/woody color - light tan. Let dry a day or so. No paint odor. Sanded the boards to remove maybe 25% of the tan paint. Dry brush - streak the boards - with a darker brown enamel. Let dry (no odor), maybe 30 minutes. Lightly sand again. Could add a black acrylic wash to bring out the caulking. Lightly steel wool the deck with 4 ought wool to even out color.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

I too just found your kit build log.  I started this kit sometime lat last year, but was technically and artistically stumped trying to paint the detail on the stern.  I got frustrated removing and reapplying the paint to all of the detail.

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

I had forgotten many old kits had raised detail, so yes, no washes. Although, you may want to sand around the deck furniture to remove the raised grain effects on the deck "wood". It would go a ways towards making the plastic deck look like wood.

I looked at the kit instructions for a railroad flat car I did a while back. Plastic was gray to start. Washed it in "Dawn" to remove mold release agents; paint sticks better to clean plastic.  I painted the plastic an enamel earthy/woody color - light tan. Let dry a day or so. No paint odor. Sanded the boards to remove maybe 25% of the tan paint. Dry brush - streak the boards - with a darker brown enamel. Let dry (no odor), maybe 30 minutes. Lightly sand again. Could add a black acrylic wash to bring out the caulking. Lightly steel wool the deck with 4 ought wool to even out color.

any pics of your paint job??

TIA...

Gleason

Edited by gleason