HM Cutter Sherbourne by angrybadger76 - Caldercraft - First Wooden ship build

Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever Wooden model ship build so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I dont really have much spare time so it may end up taking a while to get done...

Well i have first planked the hull and i used balsa filler blocks to assist me. However i am having a little bit of problems with the Walnut second planking i decided to plank over the gun ports and then drill/ cut them out with a sharp knife however this didnt really work so i have removed the planks as i was not happy with the result. Ive decided to replace the Walnut with lime wood as i now intend to paint the hull.

Anyway this is were i have gotten too..

20150228_143524.jpg20150228_143547.jpg

Badger,

It's good that you've started a build log. You've done a fine job with the first planking. Give it a good sand, so that it's all smooth for the second layer of planks.

Yes, I agree. Planking around the gunports is the best way to go. Those walnut planks too are rather brittle, so a good idea to replace them.

I can't remember where in the instructions where it mentions drilling the holes for the forestay lanyard, but you might want to think about doing it soon before you add the bulwark capping rail, etc. Access will be a little difficult later on. (I imagine you'll want just three holes, since the large deadeye provided has that number. Other Sherbourne builders have drilled five, which would seem the more historically correct, but perhaps you're not that bothered.)

At some stage you are asked to remove the frame tops with pliers. This sounded rather drastic to me, so I half cut through mine which made the removal easier. However, you seem to be passed that. If you have a dremel with a cutting attachment. that might be useful.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hey there Badger, you are off to a brilliant start.. I totally understand wishing to change the kit Walnut with something else..

There are quiet a few Sherbournes on the go on this site (I'll be beginning one in the next few months too) and I look forward to following your build along.

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi

Thankyou for the tip regarding the forestay holes will drill those before i start my second planking, atm i am just checking to see if the gun will go through the ports without any problems so far they look ok. im going to build new gun carriages as i really dont like the look of the kit ones luckly i have the superdetailing the cutter Sherbourne book to help me.

john

Welcome to the forum!

I too found George Bandurek's book very helpful. He posts on the forum from time to time, so he may well pop in to comment. I'll be interested to see whether you follow his method of making the guns. You'll see plans for a 3-pounder in the general database of the forum. I just scaled down the drawings of the 4-pounder in the Anatomy of the Ship book on the Alert and followed the barrel dimensions for 3-pounders given in his book. I found that Goodwin's barrel dimensions differ slightly from those for the Armstrong 3-pounder plans, but I don't know which would have been the more correct. However, the difference is small enough not to be noticeable.

You'll have a very helpful audience, I'm sure, with all the Cutter followers here!

Tony

Hi John.

First kit. Nice going.

The planking is not easy for beginners and is time consuming.

Keep up the good work.

Will be following you with this build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

That looks grand Badger.. will you be painting the hull? cos if you are then it is deffo grand  :D

Eamonn

BTW if you aren't totally satisfied consider sanding some more.. and some more again  :P   I spent ages sanding mine , much more than you expect!

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Badger,

Well, I can't see a lot wrong there, and I think with a bit more sanding it will look fine. Nice job around the gunports. ;)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Don't worry about the lack of progress, something called life tends to get in the way – and I've been working on mine for longer than I care to mention! :rolleyes: It's better you take your time and do as good a job as you can, and you'll end up with a far better model.

Good though, to hear you've progressed with the second planking and we look forward to seeing pics in due course. ;)

Kester

No, no. Let me be slower than anyone else. I bought my kit of the Sherbourne in April 2012 and I'm only just starting to work on the rigging. I've finished the bowsprit, so am making the blocks and their hooks. I then move on to serving the ropes I've made so that I can finally put the bowsprit assembly together. I can only spend a couple of hours at a time on the occasional day that presents itself.

All this by way of saying it's not a race, there's no one holding you to account, and every moment I have with the build remains pleasurable. We are all as patient in watching other people's builds knowing just how long it can take to move to the next stage.

Tony

I forgot to add... there are some big advantages in being slower than everyone else.

1. You can watch what the others do with your particular model.

2. You can spend more time reading up about ships of the period, techniques, and dreaming about tools you might buy one day.

3. You can spend more time reading various logs on MSW to pick up invaluable hints and tips.

4. You can spend more time thinking whether you're satisfied with the kit offering, or the part you have just made, and decide whether to have another bash at the part in question.

5. You can spend time with repetitive tasks such as making blocks.

6. You spend less time with noise from electric tools from which the rest of the household suffers whilst you continue in happy oblivion.

7. You can spend more time planning for that miraculous next build which will be so much better. At the same time, it'll be longer before you get to your next model and spend yet more money on that.

I am sure there are others, and others who will be able to provide advantages of their own. As to disadvantages, well ...

Tony

Hi,

well ive finally managedto spend some time on my build, all the second plankings done however i do need to try and blend the false keel in a bit more, the only problem i had was the rear bulkhead seemed low so ive added a 1.5mm to the hight i just waiting for the filler to dry so i can blend it in. oh i just noticed the gun ports could do with a bit more work too lol

20150326_131230.jpg

Hi badger. Nice to see your progress your build is coming along fine,i know how you have persevered and your doing a great job.Antway i was browsing members

build logs and i came across a logof HMC Sherbourne by Dubz i think i will give you great insperation (or anyone)to see this build as he has included some great

close -up pictures much better than you can see in the book.

Regards Janet (B)

• 2 weeks later...

hi Guys,

well ive had a little progress ive managed to paint the bulkheads red and i'm starting to look at chalking the planks of the deck. so my question is is the Amati Master cut worth it?  or anything else you could recommend? as i really would like square deck planks

thanks

john

Perhaps of more general use would be a razor saw and mitre box set, of the type you can see at Cornwall Model Boats. I have never used one of the square cutters, so can't comment on how good they are. Maybe others will chip in.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi badger76

As regards the Amati master cut i have one which you can have for FREE i find it is a bit to flexable come and pick it up if you want it.

I think if you can come round i could help you. with your deck, thats if you feel you need any.Ihave plenty wood if you like.

My dearest regards Janet.

Edited by Janet B

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quickie as I'm on a 30 minute connection in India at the moment. Re the 3-pounders, there is a set of drawings for the Armstrong 3 pounders in the armaments section of the ship modelling resources pages on this site.

Tony

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Badger,

I seem to have missed this lately, but anyway, that is one great looking Sherbourne. Keep up the good work.

Kester

• 2 months later...

John,

I found your build log after a bit of an absence from model making. Your Sherbourne with her yellow uppers looks quite different from my plain walnut and black and the colour sets of her elegant shape nicely. I think you made a good choice.

One suggestion would be to consider toning down the white of the lower hull. To my eye it is a bit stark, and the 'white stuff' was some unpleasant mixture that included sulphur and tallow so the true colour is probably a bit more yellowy/creamy/muddy. But if you like the white then keep it, after all the purpose here is to enjoy making a model that you can leave on display and enjoy it again every time you see it.

Best wishes

George Bandurek

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models

Hi George,

Welcome Back to model making  :D

i have your book and it has been really helpful for a first time builder. atm I am ok with the white stuff however i have decided on my next build i will try a more realistic colour...i have managed to progress a bit more and i will post a picture in the next few days, 

john