HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Hi Hamilton

The stern looks great - like the windows very much. Keep it coming.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Augie, Ferit, Alistair & Andy! Much appreciated as usual - and thanks again Alistair for sending on the Fly files....I'm hoping to scale them this week and have another go at the decorations...

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton

No trouble to send and best of luck with the decorations - a good challenge. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Of course Ferit - though we're very far apart geographically! I'll give a hint - I'll be using a kind of lino-cut technique using card stock. Depending on how sharp I can keep the knife, it might actually work, though I have to scale down the source material from 1:64 to 1:100 - the success will really depend on whether the patterns I'm using remain workable once they're scaled to 1:100.....Stay tuned....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton........not been on your log for a while and your progress is going fantastically. You have used a method which I use in that if you come up against a stopper, there is always something else to get on with. I always build some deck furniture very early on to get a picture of the whole build. Regarding the decorations corel do some decorations for allsorts of ships, Cornwall model boats here in England have a whole section devoted to decoration which you may find something for your build. Actually other kit manufacturers make decorations which would transfer over to your build. Anyway keep up the good work.

Hi Harlequin:

Thanks for dropping by! And for the compliments. I've checked out CMB before but the shipping costs from the UK are prohibitive - even while saving the VAT....I had planned on ordering from them, but only if I'm putting in an order for a kit....and considering that I now have one on the go and three on the shelf I highly doubt I will be allowed to invest more funds into ship modelling in the near future....though secretly I have my eye on the Caldercraft Snake, or Granado, or Mars, or Bounty....I can't make up my mind! Anyways, it's all wind in any case until I get through the Blandford, the Dos Amigos, the Syren and the Bellona......sheesh!! What a hard life!!

hamilton

Thanks Harlequin, but that's ok - there's another solution in the works! I do appreciate the offer, though!

hamilton

Hello there:

Well, I was hoping to finish all the cannon assemblies before we leave for our island retreat, but it doesn't look like this will happen....

The cannons are quite small at 1:100 (though I suspect they are large for scale...). I have prepared them with small eyebolts for rigging the breeching lines and used 1/16" pinstripe tape for the trunnion straps (cap squares?)

I've made 12 of the 20 guns, though I'm also faced with a dilemma. The Blandford is a 20-gun ship. But the position of the foremost gunports on the Corel kit does not allow for the inclusion of both the guns and ladders for forecastle access....So I'm left with a dilemma - either leave out the ladders to the forecastle or leave out the guns......My feeling is to leave out the guns and to display only 18 - this is also my little boy's preference (he gave me the same advice for the San Francisco, noting that the foremost guns on that build would have interrupted people coming up and down the ladder to the forecastle)....

Anyway, it's hard to argue with a 4-year old (as many of you well know) but I will "lay down the law" if the consensus here is on the guns rather than the ladders....my rule is always "first, peace in the home"......

Anyway, we're off to lovely Hornby Island on Saturday for our annual cabin stay - 8 days with no modelling!! Though I will get to visit with my Corel Flattie, which is stationed up at the cabin - who knows, I may find some time to make some repairs if these are necessary....

Here are a few shots until I return - happy modelling to all and have fun this week!

hamilton

post-304-0-70988400-1374814166_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-25803600-1374814279_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-38907500-1374814300_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-68645700-1374814322_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-98951400-1374814349_thumb.jpg

Hi Hamilton

This is looking really sharp. I've followed several of your models, as you know, and they get better and better. I'm with your 4 year old - ladders before guns.

I've seen some pictures of your retreat and having been to a couple of islands off Vancouver, I can say I'm very envious especially as we languish here in a windy winter which is now being garnished with big earthquakes!!!

Have a great break and spare a thought for us dealing with 200kph winds and 6.5 magnitude earthquakes!

All the best,

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hamilton,

Enjoy your vacation.  As for the guns, leave the guns out of the foremost ports and call them "bridle ports".  Most ships seem to have those ports empty to allow for better handling of the anchors and for ventilation anyway. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks a lot Alistair - I appreciate your kind words! I'm hoping that our vacation is not "garnished with earthquakes", though everyone out here always talks about them....I haven't felt a single one since I've lived in Vancouver (17 years now), though apparently we are in a major earthquake zone...I've been through only two earthquakes in my life - both in the 5 to 5.5 range - strong enough to be felt but small enough to seem "novel" as opposed to really scary and dangerous. I do not envy those who live in earthquake prone places (such as NZ).  I hope you and your loved ones are alright down there!

Anyway, we'll see how it turns out with the ladders versus guns, but I'm leaning towards the ladders (no rigging on the ladders, which is a vote in their favour). 

Anyway, bye for now

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

This is model at a museum. When your model is completed, will it look like this picture ?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Montani semper liberi Happy modeling to all and every one of you.

Crackers    :piratebo5:

HAHAHA - if it looks like that picture, then I'll know that someone with a hell of a lot more talent than me has broken into my house and completed the model for me!!

It will have a family resemblance to it - this model is featured in some of the photos in Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship Blandford - but judging by this photo the model has gone through some recent rehabilitation. I am planning on adding the sweeps, which I think look really cool and will add something novel to the build. Anyway, thanks for stopping by Crackers!!

hamilton

Thanks Mark! - It's always good to know that changing the name of something can suddenly open up a world of possibilities!! Bridle ports they shall be, and let no one deny their place! Bye for now

hamilton

Bridle ports are found on the Fly/Pegasus as well. The TFFM Swan series suggest that these opened on the jamb (sideways) rather than at the head. Also it suggests that the hinge was on the fore jamb rather than the aft, so that it opened towards the aft, makes sense as it keeps the sea water out. A nice little detail to authenticate your Blandford without the trouble of making a cannon!

Stay earthquake free - they are seriously scary.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks for this Alistair! Very informative - and it explains something that has been bugging me about Goodwin's AOS. Goodwin shows 11 ports on each side of the Blandford, though it is clearly a "20-gun ship", not a "22"...

The foremost port being a bridle port explains this, and gives me some license to convert it....it does, however, mean that Corel either mis-interpreted the source drawings they used, or simply left out the 11th port for convenience....

Anyway, Goodwin shows gunport lids on ports 8, 9, and 10 (the fully frames ports), while the ports along the open bulwarks have no lids at all. The bridle ports are not shown as having lids, but I may add one - this will be much better i think than just leaving an open port....I hadn't thought of adding the lids to the aft ports (8 9 10), but I think I'll do this, as well - why go through the trouble of adding details like the sweep ports or half forecastle bulkheads if I'm not going to add things like the gunport lids???

Anyway, enjoy your week, all and I'll see you back here next Monday

hamilton

Syren actually has the forwardmost ports as bridle ports (closed) and also 2 at the rear.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie! It seems that once again, the Corel kit has fallen sort short of the mark - they include room for 10 ports on each side, while it is clear from Goodwin that there are 11 - the bridle port plus 10 gunports....I don't think this is a problem I could have fixed on this kit, even if I'd noticed it before...in any case, it looks like my "mongrel" Blandford will be an 18 gun ship with fwd bridle ports instead of a 20-gun ship.....oh well - back to packing and grocery shopping - bye until next week

hamilton

She's not so much a mongrel as she is an 'artist's rendition'.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hamilton,
I agree with Augie...not a mongrel.  One has to remember that the Continental kits get some strange things done to them by the designers.  I'll bet they counted openings and assumed that they were all gunports.  After all, who wants to build an 18 gun ship when they can build a 20 gun? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

OK - so I found a bit of time tonight to finish making the cannons! I couldn't resist one more session before taking off - a week away from the "bench" will be tough!

So I finished the cannons - that's pretty much all there is to say. One thing that I noticed is that the aft gunports (8, 9, 10) are too low. As a result, I had to mount the guns at a different angle than the other 12. When I come back I'm going to adjust these gunports and re-do the cannons so things look better than they currently do...Anyway, to bed for an early morning. Here are the photos.

hamilton

post-304-0-27940300-1374904527_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-79575800-1374904612_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-86697900-1374904662_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-49931000-1374904730_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-82256100-1374904861_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-13504300-1374905126_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-40054200-1374905148_thumb.jpg

Have a good trip.  See you on the flip side.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Happy holidays Hamilton

A very fine build to return to!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all:

Thanks for the words! Much appreciated. I'm now back from a lovely week on Hornby Island in the northern Straight of Georgia - I'll post a photo or two in a bit. It was nice to get away from the city, but I've been missing the modelling bench. I did have a bit of time to do some modelling up there - one of the lines had come loose on the Corel Flattie up at the cabin so I did a bit of rehabilitation while I was there....

Ferit - in answer to your questions - yes and yes. I will be rigging the cannons, but only with breaching lines (the scale is too small for the tackles). And I'll also be adding the sweeps - not until the very end of the build, since I'm afraid of snapping them off!

The breaching lines and cannon installation will be my next step. I'll then make the (closed) bridle ports and the (open) aft gunports (8, 9 and 10). After that I'll either start making the main deck features, or the head rails. I'm a little wary of the head rails - I'll need to put some very serious thought into them, so I'm trying to do other things while I turn my mind around the head....

Anyway, it seems I've also got a lot of catching up to do on the forum, so I'm going to go look around at all of your logs. Bye for now!

hamilton