Rattlesnake 1781 by Don Quixote - Mamoli - Scale 1:64 - 20 gun Privateer

After weights for 2 days, my upper rear deck is still warped, but not as bad...

Question: Can I plank that and lay it down after it's planked? Seems like that'd be easier.

I'm waiting for my disk/belt sander for xmas before starting on the filler blocks.

post-10291-0-89312700-1481664476_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-47559500-1481664488_thumb.jpg

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Hi JBITW,

Firstly, regarding those bow filler blocks - definitely the lower half and yes the upper half. Lets be candid about all of this. So many people get hung up about cannons (guns) and their positioning. The cannons do NOT all have to be projecting out through the gun ports and in my opinion, there is nothing wrong by cheating and having a few lids closed. Cannons technically were only pushed forward in preparedness for battle.

I am a little confused about the support for the quarter deck you have clamped on in the above photos. It appears - but I may be wrong -  to be only supported at each side of the ship without underlying beams athwartships (across the ship). In the attached edited photo, the yellow lines represent some scrap timber lengths acting as beams but with a suitable camber (ie. curvature) glued onto the aft side of each frame. These lines are misleading as they should stretch right across the ship and behind the frames. The blue lines represent spacer blocks between the frames that serve to hold the top ends of the frames in the correct alignment as well as supporting the deck. That way, you have a near-perfect supporting base for the thin plywood deck. Under those conditions, you could plank off the ship but I would get the deck fixed in position and plank at a later stage.

Hope that helps,

Pete

post-593-0-41129100-1481676080.jpg

Edited by piratepete007

Front and back.

I think I'll plank the fake deck off ship and prey the gaps will be minimal.

MANY of my planks are warped laterally. Making this a serious challenge. I have some medium charcoal pencils, I've been running one edge and one end of each board against but I never like the look of it. Too messy. Probably far more real, but doesn't look clean against all those fresh painted parts. Something to decide on for future builds.

What about finishing? What's the general consensus on finishing these days? I hope I'm doing a good enough job on the upper deck planking to justify a satin finish varnish or something.

post-10291-0-12188700-1481681436_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Satin or matte for your finish Brian.

Something to think about for your next kit. I've done this for Niagara, Rattlesnake and a few others. Get one of the custom wood guys to replace the basswood with something like boxwood, pear or holly. The wood is a lot harder. Your edges will be much cleaner. It cuts and shapes much better. If not the whole kit then at least the deck and hull planks. I don't remember exactly, but I think the Rattlesnake replacement  for everything was about $100. 

With boxwood, I was able to use a Marks-a-lot on the plank edges. The wood is not porous so it doesn't run or sink in like basswood. Just beware, if you do the replacement for one kit you may never want to go back to basswood.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

What's "mark-a-lot?

I'll keep hardwood in mind for the next build. If I'm not mistaken this planking is supposed to be walnut? VERY rough!

What's the logic behind waiting until deck fixtures are in place before varnish?

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Wood glue? I get everything all over my fingers. And I use a needle. I don't seem to be able to apply little enough.

In Dry Dock:

Brian - I believe Rattlesnake is all basswood. 

Marks-a-lot? You know, magic marker, felt tip pen. You'll hear some argue against them, but with boxwood it worked very well for me. This is marked on all edges for all planks. If you want less do like you did one long edge and one short edge.

post-22218-0-95018900-1481750026_thumb.jpg

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

That does look good. Much better than charcoal:)

Cog, not to be a smart-a** but now does one affix the wood on wood? I'm missing something.

In Dry Dock:

I used Titebond Moulding & Trim glue. It has more tack than regular Titebond. It's thicker so it doesn't run. In most cases it sets very quickly.

One good thing about the PVA glues, if you do get some on whatever you are gluing, a damp rag will get it up. You get CA where you don't want it and good luck getting it off.

That said, there certainly is a place for CA. I use it like "nails" for decking and hull planking. CA in a few spots to quickly hold the plank, PVA to glue the long edge of a plank to the adjacent plank. As I mentioned if the PVA squirts out between the long edges, just wipe it down with a damp rag or paper towel. One note: do not let the CA and PVA mix. I've found that neither will set well if that happens.

Cog may have been referring to the fact that glue doesn't hold as well if the parts have been lacquered, painted, etc.

Brian,

Been following along quietly here. What Carl is trying to say is wood glue doesnt stick well to finished wood. if you clear coat first then wherever you want to glue things like cannon wheels, and other furniture you will need to scrape af the finish. That is why some people choose to finish after. FWIW I prefer to get some clear on my parts first to keep smudges and stains off the wood, knowing I will have to scrape some off later. Or you can plan ahead and mask the areas off that will need to be glued - that can be problematic in my opinion though. As long as you understand the pros and cons I would say either way is acceptable.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Got it. Good stuff, thanks, y'all. I don't believe I'll have enough planking to finish the front top deck! So much was warped latterly that I tossed... I got as much out of any strips I could but there's no fix for warped planks.

In Dry Dock:

Have you contacted Model Expo about the defective parts?

Rear deck done. Thinking of waiting to xmas before planking the hull. Maybe work on deck pcs or spars... Should have that hide-wood to experiment with.

I didn't pay attention to my start at planking and didn't follow the pattern I wanted. I think I recovered in time. I think one has to actually look TO see if it's done right to notice. -Ahem. Again, I think/hope my ooops's and &*%$@#'s around the edges will be hidden.

So I drew an outline around the upper front deck and am experimenting with a couple small pcs of planking to see if there's any way to make what I have fit. I have no choice but to try to bend planks laterally. You'd think a half mm would be nothing, but it adds up. I have 1 plank that's actually a subtle "S". One bends a full .09" at about 1/3 down the plank.

post-10291-0-26141100-1481785778_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-54542000-1481785789_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Which ones the poop deck? I won't worry if that looks like $***.

In Dry Dock:

Mike, I read in the paperwork somewhere that you have to contact Mamoli (Milano?) for parts and got the impression it'll cost. Not much I'm sure, I'd hate to see how long that takes. I need to see if I can bend, sand, heck at this point I'll even bondo.

In Model-Expo's defense, I've had this box for 2 and a half years. I had no idea it'd take me 3 years to incomplete one ship. (Niagara)

I have several other kits, most are Mamoli that I don't think I'll build. If modelexpo's other ships are as high quality as the Niagara, then someone would have to do a lot of convincing to get me to buy another brand.

Having said that, I have a friend that built the U.S. Constitution, I believe from Corel? Those plans and manual looked great!

Which reminds me... You know how you get those ads from modelexpo offering deals? Yeah? Cheap skate. jgarcia@modelexpo-online.com will always be the one sending the message. Email him when you're missing or lost a part to the dogs nose. Their online form does not work! They know it. They should fix the site, right? Actually, as I understand it (I'm no authority and am probably preaching to the choir) but there is a new site under developement. Albeit slowly. I understand the time and cost of web upkeep and development, but if anyone one out there... Make it easier to get those missing parts. That's one of the things you've earned the right to be proud of.

In Dry Dock:

Didn't realize until just now you were doing the Mamoli kit. It all makes more sense now. I have the Model Expo version. Some of what you  have been describing was throwing me because my kit didn't have it.

Had I known there is a model expo version I'd have snagged it. I just a minute ago got their Virginia Sloop. Single mast, beginner to intermediate. And it'll fit in my space.

I should say I just ordered it. Amazon prime and $30 less.

In Dry Dock:

Don't get like me. My shelf has more kits than I will complete in a lifetime.

Wanna do some trading?:) I have several Mamoli's I'll never build.

In Dry Dock:

My local Ace Hardware store turned me onto a water based polyurethane satin finish. I like it, it's very subtle, and I glued 2 pcs of basswood together with no problem. It's called Verithane. No odor, either.

In Dry Dock:

The thing you have to watch is some of those finishes will yellow over time.

Great, only time will tell.

In Dry Dock:

Wanna do some trading? :) I have several Mamoli's I'll never build.

Ya know it's funny (or sad) but I wouldn't trade any of them. They're "The Stuff" - to quote an old favorite flic.

However, if I don't get over the rigging thing quite a few may never get built. I will say that the rigging plans in most of the kits are better than Niagara. Model Expo just crammed too much on one page. Several of the other kits - the ones from Victory models for instance - have 7-8 pages of rigging. All shown in manageable chunks. 3-4 pages for running and 3-4 pages for standing.

I hate to say it but the Mamoli factory burned to the ground just over a year or so ago.

Replacement parts will be very very scarce.

Mamoli line will eventually be up and running soon I hope under new ownership. Your build looks great. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard