King of the Mississippi by drobinson02199 - FINISHED -- Artesania Latina - 1:80

Looking really good Dave. Its weird that they would make two sections that are supposed to fit flush together but one is straight and the other curved. Anyway I think the skirting board approach solves this well. Don't know why the top is removable if its not a RC model. Perhaps to add interior effects like furniture or even lighting?

If I can source 1:50 scale period figures and furniture of the time frame for my boat (1870 - 1920), I am really keen on the idea of adding those. Given mine isn't a real vessel, I want to glam it up a bit. Been the devil's own job finding anything in that scale though.

Looking forward to your next instalment.

Chris

Finished the wheelhouse and have mounted it.  I spent some time on the interior, with painting and also accenting the helm spokes to a brass finish, only to discover as I dry-fitted the roof that the interior goes dark.  So a picture here first before I put the roof on.

Some building notes:

• The manual calls for scoring the acetate into large panes, then painting and wiping as it did for the lower windows.  I didn't like the look of that in the instructions, so I built window frames and mounted clear acetate behind it.  Looks better given the level of detail on this little structure.
  • For once with this model, the metal decoration anticipates the curve of the roof.  But the manual shows it mounted on the roof before the roof is mounted on the wheelhouse, and until that happens there is no curve.  So mount roof, then attach decoration.
  • I built the decoration into a rectangle off the roof, and then mounted the whole sub-structure onto the roof.  Easier to align.
  • As I look at the pics I'm attaching, I see that a skirting board would be a good idea, but I'll wait until I've built the stairway structure, which includes platforms and landings and is the next step.

Regards,

David

Wheelhouse Interior.jpg

Wheelhouse Mounted.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Chris:

It would seem like I'm getting close to the end, but when I look at the model there is a lot of detail work left to do.

Next model will be the Amati Grand Banks -- which I have already bought.

How is your riverboat coming?  I have looked for a build log but don't see one?

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Chris:

Grand Banks is a modern power boat by Amati.  I have attached their stock picture.

After rigging the Revenge, I wanted to work on a couple of boats with no rigging.  Then I'll swing back that way.

Regards,

David

Grand Banks.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've completed the top structure now, which has an interesting stair structure up to the wheelhouse.  I kept it removable for now, not because I want to leave it that way on the finished model, but because I think the railings and other finish work on the deck it sits on will be easier to do if it's out of the way.  See pictures.

There were a number of construction issues here:

• The manual shows the ladders with white rails and natural steps, and I thought it was just the outside, so I assembled the ladder and then noticed that the entire rail needed to be painted white before assembly.  So I decided to make the steps on this level brown, and go to the other color scheme on the lower decks.
  • The ladders are constructed out of pre-cut rails, and pieces of step material that you have to cut to length.  Turns out there aren't enough of those for all of the ladders on the boat (I looked ahead).  So I went to my "leftover stuff" box (thank you Amati for extra material) and used ladders from that for the short ones.  You'll notice that they are wider than the ladder in the structure.  I have enough AL ladder material for the three on the lower decks, which is good because the Amati ladders would be too wide.
  • The kit is also missing the top of the stacks you see.  So back to the "leftover stuff" box and two small round deadeyes, wood filler in the holes, and they look pretty good.  I decided to paint the tops red just to add some color to the model, and it matches red that will be on the tops of the main stacks later.
  • The manual doesn't have the two platform edges finished, but I added some "leftover stuff" strips to finish it, since the rest of the structure has a lot of trim and finish.
  • I also added a skirting board around the bottom of the wheelhouse to finish it off.  [See Chris, I listen  :D ]

Speaking of construction, the instructions stop here, saying "most of the tedious and detailed work is now done -- follow the pictures for the rest."  Since each vertical post has to be hand-sanded to fit, and there are a lot of railings to fit, I don't think the detailed work is quite done yet.

Regards,

David

Top_Structure_Mounted.jpg

Top Structure Closeup.jpg

Removable.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Now you just make me want to buy a second one and build it again. Top notch job.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi David.

Excellent  progress with you ship.

Liking all the mods you have made on the way.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Antony:

I just looked up your Turtle Ship, and your workmanship is incredible.  Makes me realize how far I have to go in my own skills -- if I ever get there.

Your last post was months ago.  Are you still working on it?

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

another cool update dave. is the different color deck pattern just a photo trick thing? or did you actually use different types of timber? I am referring to the deck that your removable structure sits upon.

do really like the staircase and lead up to the wheel house. find it a bit strange, and rather annoying really, specially for newer builders, that the instructions end at this point. there appears to be a fair bit to go, and to expect less experienced builders to merely follow pics is a bit lazy on the manufacturers part I reckon.

anyway, no doubt you will nail it.

chris

Chris:

The deck colors are just a photo trick -- it's all the same stock planking from the kit.  It's the ONLY thing AL provided spare amounts of -- everything else is either just enough, or short.  No room for error.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

All the stacks are up now -- and I couldn't resist a picture because the color scheme on the tops of the main stacks is pretty cool.  This is the scheme called for in the model.

Regards, 

David

Stacks Up.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hi David.

I'e just finished the Sicilian cargo boat.

And now I will continue with the Korean turtle ship.

Wow the stacks are the making of this boat.

David... we all have the skills. I look at your ship and I think wow. It's what we do.

Will you be keeping her to display ?

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Antony:

Yes, I keep all my boats, and I'm eventually going to run out of wall space in my office!   :default_wallbash:

What's the alternative?  What else do you do with yours besides display them?

Regards,

David

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

hey dave, 100% agree with antony about the smoke stacks. they really set her off. colors are great and vibrant. did you have to paint the actual stack? was it metal tube?

still searching the known universe for 1:50 scale figures of people of the period and some horses for my boat. also need some fake straw for the horse box's, but I reckon that wont be too hard to find.

chris

Chris:

The stacks are wood dowels.  Needed some sanding to fit the rings and stack bases over, then one coat of Model Master flat black, and one coat of satin polyurethane varnish.  The large stack tops are cast metal, hand-painted.  The rear stack tops are solid brass pieces.  As I noted earlier, I had to hijack and re-purpose two deadeyes for the small red stack tops.

I really like Model Master acrylic paint since I began using it.  Covers really well, but cleans up with water.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Not a lot of visually interesting stuff in this post, but some useful construction tips from my experience.

I looked over the plans to see what I should install before doing the railings, so I wouldn't have access issues.  That turned out to be the stairs and railings fore (2) and aft (1), the three masts on either side, and most of the eyebolts.

Some learnings:

• Once the ladder rails are painted, the paint adds width which makes them too wide for the deck openings.  So I reduced the tread length from 10mm to 9mm and clamped them to be sure they were seated.
  • It was helpful to shape one brass stair railing and then use it as a template for the others before installing any.
  • The two slanted masts on each side require some work on the deck holes they fit into -- but the second deck holes aren't drill-accessible.  I didn't have long bits, so I opened out the third deck hole on a slant, then inserted the bit and manually turned it through the second deck hole on a slant using a wrench.  It worked, and wasn't much trouble, but doing the ship again I'd want to make those second deck slanted drills before installing the third deck.

Now I can move on to the railings without having to maneuver around them later on.  That would have been really hard if I'd tried to open those mast holes after the railings were on.

Regards,

David

Pre-Railing_Work.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

A construction discovery -- the third deck is not quite as wide as the second.  It's 3mm narrower on both sides.  That left me with two choices:

• If I wanted the vertical second deck posts to be flush with the edge of both deck 2 and deck 3 (as shown in the photographs in the manual), then I'd have to noticeably cant the posts inward from bottom to top.
  • Or, I could align the posts to the edge of deck 3 and move them in on deck 2 about 3mm.

I picked the second option, as I thought the canted posts would look awful, and I don't think the "indentation" of the posts looks bad.  I installed some of the lower railings, and you can see how it looks in the pics here.

Regards,

David

Third_Deck_Alignment.jpg

Third_Deck_Alignment-2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I have finished the second deck railings, and here are a couple of pics.  I like the way the railing curves around at the stern.

I am now more amused by the last paragraph of the manual when it said "most of the detail work is now done; just follow the pictures from here on" and then ended.  In terms of detail work:  every vertical post and horizontal wood railing (both under and over the white part) had to be individually hand-fitted, with lots of careful sanding to get the lengths right, as they aren't quite uniform.  Same true of the white parts of the railings.  So if that isn't detail work, I'm not sure what is.  :D

I will now do the railings around the stair openings on deck 3 first, because I'll have a clear shot at them before I put up the posts and railings on Deck 3.

Regards,

David

Railings_1.jpg

Railings 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Top job looking brilliant.  Not too far off the finish!

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

hey dave, I have been away for a few days but I can now see you have made great progress. really like the railings, they really clean up the model I reckon. it seems this particular kit comes with very scant instructions going by some of the problems you have encountered. it does look to finish into a really nice vessel though. pretty much up to putting on the second deck on mine now too. I can only get pics when I take it around to my sisters place though. its really the reason I haven't began a build log. maybe after xmas I might get a camera if finances permit.

chris

The railings look great. Your not wrong about the fitting of them. On my profile pic you can see my King of the Mississippi. I did enjoy building her and you look like your doing the same, Great work.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

A diversion -- in honor of my new hobby, my wife gave me this detailed pop-up card for my birthday.

Regards,

David

Pop Up Card.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Back to the boat.

I fabricated a jig to hold the third deck posts upright and in position while the glue dries.  Because there's no mechanical hold on these pieces, it's taking a long time to get them all up.  But the jig works and keeps them properly aligned.

Regards,

David

Jig.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Chris:

It's a website called Love Pops:  https://www.lovepopcards.com/

They actually have a bunch of ships.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area