HMS Greyhound by Old Collingwood - Corel

Very nice work Collingwood. I'm intrigued that the main deck does not seem to be planked when the upper decks are already installed. Or are those upper decks just dry fitted?

Where are you that gets a violent storm? There are so many these days you could be anywhere...

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Very nice work Collingwood. I'm intrigued that the main deck does not seem to be planked when the upper decks are already installed. Or are those upper decks just dry fitted?

Where are you that gets a violent storm? There are so many these days you could be anywhere...

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Im in the uk and we have been getting alot of storm force winds 80-100mph and severe flooding leaving many people without power and flooded houses,  yep i fitted the bulwarks and painted them so that when i fit the planking over the false deck floor, i will not get any paint on the decking planks.

C.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Seasons greetings to all,   i have been moving on to the bottom keel section and decided to cut out the bearding line for the garboard plank, i know i should have done this while flat but i have found  having the ribs in palce, act as a good guide for the groove, i was abit puzzled over the correct size/placement  of the garboard plank, but i decided on the taper ending on the second rib before the sharp curve upto the front of the forecastle. 

I also decided on a slope at the keel post insted of a slot (almost like something we call here a "ha ha") its an invisible drop when viewed from one side, this will help the hull planks to sit against the keel post at roughly the same thickness.

Heres two pics showing this stage...

C.

post-7946-0-45661400-1388269298_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-29079700-1388269344_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi all  Happy New Year,

i have been carrying on with the hull work shaping the bearding line especialy around the bowsprit til - "Crack" the bowsprit snapped away were the grove was for the bearding line, so i decided as it was off to leave it that way and tackle it as two seperate jobs, but i cut away and made a joining area first,  i have also been working on the rear of the hull with a bit of planking and shaping and will do the cutout for the rudder post arrangement, but question do i make the hole in the hull for the top of the rudder post round or fan like?. 

Anyway here a few pics in b&w because my camera processes better that way for some reason..?

C.

post-7946-0-86010100-1388622386_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-95276700-1388622445_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-38758000-1388622490_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

The planking looks good so far Collingwood - though I would love to see some colour shots to get a sense of the contrasts between the woods. Maybe you've mentioned this before, but are you planning on leaving the hull in a natural finish?

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

PS - at the rate you're going and given my current and seemingly indefinite furlough from actually working on my Blandford, you may catch up with me very soon!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

More progress this time with the other side of the hull continuing to cut out the gun ports using my usual needle file set, i use a cutting action working down between the lines till i get to the line at the bottom, but making sure its square, then i have added the bulwark/gun port posts to hold the top rail.

I have also shaped the rear cabin window casting and undercoated it to bring out the detail, incase i use it, also i have cleaned up the front keel section and adjust for - figurehead etc...

Here's some more pics, and back to color as requested.

C.

post-7946-0-23050200-1388881430_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-21059500-1388881462_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-02842200-1388881505_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-98892800-1388881552_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

The colour contrast looks great Collingwood - your modifications are really starting to pay dividends. I wish you had started this before me so I could have copied you! 

Are you planning on using the kit-supplied transom piece? Given what you've already achieved you should seriously consider scratch building one of your own....Either way, very impressive work!

hamilton

The colour contrast looks great Collingwood - your modifications are really starting to pay dividends. I wish you had started this before me so I could have copied you! 

Are you planning on using the kit-supplied transom piece? Given what you've already achieved you should seriously consider scratch building one of your own....Either way, very impressive work!

hamilton

Hi hamilton,  im not sure yet about the transom i could sharpen it up with abit of scribing and then painting, but its darn hard to see even with glasses, the picture shows alot more detail than i can see with my eyes, then again im not brilliant at scratch building especialy as i have no acurate plans of this section.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

More work on the ole girl, i decided to fit the poor part that fell off, and planked the rear section under the transom- slight color difference in grain due to using the other side of the planks without notic'ing, i have also completed two sections port and labord of the hull planking from the keel. 

Here's some pics...

post-7946-0-75058700-1389390926_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-80031600-1389390958_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-07083700-1389390993_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

A question - the planking below the transom that goes from port to larboard, sholud i paint this red ocre or leave wood? i know the the lower section near the waterline will be wood/dull white with a demarcation line. 

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Collingwood:

Looking great! In answer to your question - I think it's a matter of taste. I painted it red, following the illustrations on the cover of Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship HMS Blandford. I think if you're planning on painting the hull, then following Goodwin and painting it red would be a good idea....others may differ in their opinion

hamilton

Just been applying more 2nd stage hull planks down to the whale, but i thought i would mention a trick i do to aid stcking and drying of the planks - i use a hairdryer(the wife doesnt mind - honest) i find the heat helps to melt and harden the wood glew and bond alot quicker, kind of like a heat gun.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Collingwood........check out my transom from greyhound...........I posted a pic on hamiltons build, page 13 or 14 I think.......agree the detail is hard to make out but I went for a black and white effect with touches of gold and it turned out ok. I have since modified the windows to make them more realistic. I'll post a pic on your build log if you wish... great work by the way,

Edited by harlequin

Many thanks for the picture harlequin, i am going to approach this section sometime latter,   for now i have been continuing with the hull planking down to and including the whale, i have also cut out the oar slots and the lower deck acsess port, i have set up the whale planking by using two sections - one 2mm by 2mm  and the other 4mm by 2mm i think 6mm is quite a good width for the whale.

Here's the latest pics..

C.

post-7946-0-15902800-1390685851_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-97726100-1390685880_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Collingwood - nice work! I'm confident you can tackle the transom and come up with something great. You've negotiated the limitations of this kit with such cheerfulness and confidence that I can't imagine you'll encounter too many problems scratch building a transom if you put your mind to it....

hamilton

Thank you hamilton,  i have been tyding up the mast surrounds where they enter the decks, so i could get the correct and accurate positioning before i plank the main deck, this will give me a break from the hull planking as all that carefull work wetting and heating the hull planks was abit of a bore and tiresome,  i have  also constructed a solid backing for the main cabin front details, i will add these either after fitting the deck or possibly before? then i suppose i will have to continue on the other side of the hull with the planks down to and icluding the whale to match..... 

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I started work on the deck planks today starting with the bows two bulwark edge planks, i am cutting in the normal planks as they should be, and decided on a four step planking system, adding the square mast collars has helped by not having to cut this through the planking.

Here are the latest pics...

C.

post-7946-0-00340700-1391126249_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-90533100-1391126284_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-57270500-1391126310_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

I have been carrying on with the deck planking and it has been an enjoyable break from the hull work, nice gradual progress sizing up marking the edge caulking with a pencil, then cutting to 30feet eqv  lengths.

Heres some pics...

C.

post-7946-0-01814300-1391550901_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-97636800-1391550925_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

In between building my frigate, i am also building a tiny little 1/700 scale destroyer model kit in plastic, its very hard to work with fine detail at this scale, but the following pictures highlight key areas where i need to finescale the detail and sharpen things up abit.

C.

post-7946-0-27615400-1391636043_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-18160100-1391636072_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice to see you're keeping occupied Collingwood! I'm having trouble enough with one!

hamilton

Here is the finished pic of my tinny tiny little ship, it was a real eye strain working and trying to detail at this scale 1/700.

C,

post-7946-0-03796700-1391969854_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

I decided to do abit of work on testing a paint scheme on the transom and side window, i think i will go with a mainly red ocre and black tar scheme for the paint decoration as they seem to compliment each other, and lets just say that the ships commander had a barrel load so he decided to use  them, ive also painted the whale and done some other paintwork to see how it will look.

What do you think?

C.

post-7946-0-01081900-1392147688_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-33828500-1392147724_thumb.jpg

post-7946-0-88402900-1392147760_thumb.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,  I have just been having a little break, with the better weather over here for a while I have been out doing my other hobby, photographing planes, also I have been given a gift of a Mantua HMS President Frigate,  but like I posted on another section on here, I am unsure about its scale acuracy so I may just canabolise it for parts and wood to carry on with this build.

It may seem a complete wast of a potentialy good President kit, but if its not scale acurate I dont want to build it.

Old Colly

Current builds  

Completed works.

I like the paint scheme a lot Collingwood - distinct and interesting - the red gives a nice warmth against the tones of the wood - she's shaping up into a real beauty!

hamilton

I like the paint scheme a lot Collingwood - distinct and interesting - the red gives a nice warmth against the tones of the wood - she's shaping up into a real beauty!

hamilton

Many thanks mate, I do like the color mix myself with a bit of red ocre and the natural wood as I am sure most ships of the period would have been, just like in the Victory disscussion on the black and yellow ocre stripes at Trafalger, my oppinion Is that the yellow ocre may infact have been a natural wood like mine, I think this would be more history realistic.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 7 months later...

Just to say I'm back and will be posting again soon folks..... :)

Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Goo thing too! Welcome back Collingwood - looking forward to more updates here

hamilton

Hey Collingwood, looking forward to watching you progress on this build.  Just out of curiosity, which Lyme are you building?  The 1695 version?  I'm building the 1748 version by modifying the Corel Unicorn kit according to plans from the NMM.  The Unicorn and Lyme were both of the "Lyme class" and very similar, except that the Unicorn  wasa beakhead ship and the Lyme a rounded bow ship.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)