Which scrollsaw

I own the Proxxon DSH (an older model tha in their actual program) since a few years and I am very satisfied with the saw.

John it looks like that the micromark is a copy of the Proxxon or vice versa :huh:

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I have a no name scroll saw still in box (with laser guide, light and vacuum, (friend of mine has been using the same with amazing results)) considering selling it and going with the simple hand-jeweler saw for easy accuracy. Only my two cents.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I have just received the Delta 20" scrollsaw with stand and light and am very pleased with it.

Easy to change the blade (no tools needed) and very little vibration when using it.  If you have the room I would recommend this scrollsaw.

post-63-0-35280200-1363451679.jpg

post-63-0-13281800-1363451690.jpg

post-63-0-49732700-1363451698.jpg

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Pete, seems like you have a very nice setup of a workshop.

That Delta certainly will help with scratch builts and other projects around the house.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 4 weeks later...

I had a micro lux like the one at micromark.......totally worthless. I'm on my second royobi and love it. The only reason for buying the second saw was so I can use pinless blades.Like the other's have said,the table insert is the only problem.I made one out of some delrin I had reducing the blade clearence and haven't had a problem since.

Doug Jones

I have a Porter-Cable scroll saw that I like well, though it has the same problems that others have mentioned and corrected.  I haven't made the zero-clearance top, but after looking at what folks here have done I'm going to try it out. It's also interesting to hear from Jay about the blade curving -- golly, I thought I was just using too much pressure and pushing the stock too fast and hard.  So I'm going to have to try that piece of wood as well in the clamp down -- though I might have thrown that away since it always got in my way.

Wouter -- don't know if you can get a Porter Cable where you are.  It seems that Proxxon might be a good bet.

Oh, and I might also mention that I use my jeweller's saw quite a bit to cut pieces by hand.  I got it AFTER the scroll saw, and have since wondered if I needed that big piece of machinery for things others than bulkheads (and I even used the jeweller's saw to cut a replacement bulkhead for one that was broken in the kit). 

Seems like I always end up having to sand whichever one I use.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Martin W

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I am quite happy with the fret saw with a changeable speed of cutting of PROXXON DSH 40

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

It seems that a good amount of the input from people here seems to like the Proxxon over the Micro Mark. They are both made in China, now the Dewalt is made by the same company that makes the Excalibur which is rated as the top of the line. The price for the Dewalt with stand is around $500.00 from Woodcraft some times you see them on sale at Home Depot, if you look at the amount difference and you can wait and save a little more money you might be better off getting the Dewalt one instead. Its like a Sherline Mill or one from Harbor freight or Micro Mark. It does all come down to what can you afford and how much you are going to use it. The Band saw can do almost all of the same things as a scroll saw. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

We have the Proxxon DS 460 scroll saw and a very old and greatly treasured Aeropiccola. The Proxxon will hold its own with most scroll saws and is capable of cutting some serously heavywight timber with the right blades (olsen or FD). The Aeropiccola is a gem but is best suited to delicate work. If you ever get the chance to buy one....just buy it.

If you have the money, and we didn't at the time, I would buy a Hegner and be done with it. If a Hegner won't cut what you are trying to do then the only other option is an industial laser!

The Proxxon tools are very nice and along with the Proxxon FET table saw we have just about everything covered for what we build that requires some machine tools.

All the very best,

David.

Archangel,

I agree with what you said about the Hegner, it is made by the same company that makes the dewalt saw. But it is also one of the top of the line saws, but it is also one the more higher price saws. What a person gets is base on what he or she can afford. I just hate getting something and end up down the road getting a better one which I should have gotten in the first place, you get what you payed for is very true. Just my 2 cents.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

I agree with Janos.  A bench top 9 inch band saw with an 1/8 inch blade will do excellent scroll sawing without vibrating or trying to pull the work piece up.  I have the MicroMark model - which seems to be a generic and is Tiawan or China made.  MicroMark no longer has it in their catalog.  One addition I made was to add Carter Products Stabilizer.  It allows a tighter cutting radius and replaces the guides.  The MicroMark saw has a 3/8 inch mounting port and the Stabilizer STD-2 has a 5/16 inch post, but 2 pieces of K&S brass tubing 5/16 ID and the next a 3/8 OD made an adequate bushing once a hole was cut for the set screw.  Comprable saws seem to run about $140 +/-  the Stabilizer is $ 75 .   An additional expense would be replacing the guides with Cool Blocks.  If the thrust bearings seize up - they are readily availible on line or from a local bearing supplier - being a commonly used item.

The band saw has other uses - repeative cross cutting being one,  but I do not think serious resawing is something a 9 inch saw will do very well.  The motor is ~ 0.3 HP.   I had a fit getting through 3 inch green dogwood and 5 inch green holly with a 0.6 HP saw.   

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 8 months later...

Which scroll saw is not very big and the most silent? I'm a living room modeller, was thinking about a dremel moto saw, but checked some youtube reviews and it sounds extremely loud. Or on a low speed with a thin material it would be fine?

Ryobi, Delta, Dremel. Craftsman. etc in my opinion are all good.  As for the little vibration that can be taken care of.  Many years I bought a scroll saw from a club member who was getting a new one.  It was pretty good and the right size for my apt.  The only drawback was vibraion.  I used some closed cell neoprene sponge stripping in the four corners of the base and no more vibraition.  You can use weather stripping to do the same thing.

David B