Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About Barbossa

  • Birthday 04/29/1963

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

795 profile views
  1. You're always welcome, Rob And I 100 % agree : this kit offers a lot of possibilities/opportunities. Regarding the columns : the AoTS inspired me, the first pages show different (lookalike?) Diana's with columns Besides, this is what's MSW all about : by different approaches, exchanging ideas and trying to improve yourself (myself ) for the next build
  2. Hi Rob, Looking forward to your progress on this (side)-project. I went for a rather "straighforward" approach and the way both you and Jason manage things are lessons learned for me. Keep up the good work !
  3. Hi Bob, a simple hit on the like button will not do. Your work is truly a benchmark for many of us. Regarding the project to come, if I were to decide why not proceed by elimination : a fully rigged 3-master or something smaller ? Which scale do you have in mind ?
  4. Hi Patrick I'm looking forward to your recovery. Circumstances may differ : sometimes life get's in the way of hobby-matters. Get well & take care.
  5. Hello and a warm welcome from the not so far away Gate to the "Flemish Ardens". Take your time to visit topics, buildlogs,...I'm sure you'll find answers and a lot of inspiration.
  6. Hi, B.E. quite challenging. But I'm confident as your commitment to this hobby is as huge as the support you'll receive from many MSW-members. Keep up the good work !
  7. With all due respect to the shipwright assistant : Nice Job on the planking B.E. ! Many of us (me included) would settle for this. Looking forward to the treenailing chapter
  8. Excellent approach ! Meaning your buildlog as well as the beverages ! About the latter : because of the heat I'm more into Liefmans Goudband or Kriek (Boon) For the same reason : my shipyard is on the attic ( almost 30° in the afternoon ) and shipbuilding is only to resume until september. Cheers !
  9. Hi Patrick, I have no clue and I can only offer a questionable alternative as some anachronism is involved (pics are related to a gallion dd. 1610 or so,...) On the other hand, when you Google for Victory/Amati's HMS revenge you'll find the same device. Aside from this : great work !
  10. Hi Patrick, wonderful work Concerning the balcony question : I'd also settle for option 2, option 3 seems a bit "crowded" to me.
  11. Hi Christos, Now I understand, it decreases indeed. The angle from which you can notice that the dimension of the wood is to decrease at both extremities is just different. Again, a simple photo - as you posted- can tell more than a thousand words. It's all clear to me now.
  12. Hello Christis : yes indeed Here's the result of an ad random search on the Internet : https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-image-18th-century-anchor-newport-rhode-island-image23864161
  13. Hello, just my 2 eurocents I was far more lazy regarding the assemby of deadeyes & channels : instead of soldering I used black thread and made sure to hide the knots inside the channels as I suppose there's an incision at every dead-eye position. The advantage was that I could straighten the thread at my own convenience. You also may want to decrease the thickness at the extremeties of the wooden parts of your anchors, if still possible. But as always : you are the captain. Take care
  14. B.E., Chris, Patrick, Jason & Mort and all the likes. Thanks for showing appreciation and sound advise. Related to the colour scheme : a few years ago I purchased a huge quantity of yellow colored planks of origin unknown (3,5 * 1mm). As you can see and imagine : a rough cut and not the best quality for bending purposes. Neither does it match the quality and apperence of the boxwood many of you use to successfully upgrade your builds. Nonetheless I obtained - be it with much sanding - the effect I was aiming for , which even the paints could deliver in my opinion. As you can see : plenty of those in surplus , maybe for projects in the fututre ? Nowadays we're decorating (papering) bedrooms & dressings at home. Therefore the expression : "I've got a a pretty congested dressing & wardrobe but nothing to wear" may sound familiar. By consequence the attic -my workspace- has a new function : the back-room of a catwalk. ( from where comes this unpretty feeling I'm moving on thin ice here ? ).Thus making dust for a new stand is perhaps not a good idea. This allows me to search the internet for a suitable solution regarding the showcase. Greetings to you all and enjoy the Week-end

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model shipcraft.

The Nautical Research Guild puts on ship modeling seminars, yearly conferences, and juried competitions. We publish books on ship modeling techniques as well as our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, whose pages are full of articles by master ship modelers who show you how they build those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you what details to build.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...