In the past, I've use rubber bands or what John recommended.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The deck looks like it is made of one piece of wood that is quite thick. Can you force the deck in place with your hand? If you can, the rubber bands or cord should do the job. Otherwise you may need to use larger screw clamps and use the piece below to hold the clamps in place.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

May I suggest to make a template of the deck, then make a thinner version of Birch Plywood and maybe adding deck planking.

Not only it will give the strength needed but also look good.

But then again it's only my 2 cents.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

You can go here on my build log and see what I did. nails and rubberbands.

mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

If you are going to plank your deck after gluing in place, a good result can be gained by marking the deck where the bulkheads line up under it, predrilling (about a 0.8mm drill bit) through the deck and bulkheads, applying glue then nailing deck in place with pushpins or chart pins. I have found chart pins such as that arrowed below work better than standard push pins because the heads don't break off when nailing. Pins are easily removed when glue is dry.

post-1505-0-15395700-1430370918_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to use the existing piece, wet it thoroughly on top before gluing and adding rubber bands.

Would wetting this piece affect the integrity of the glue that's already holding the planks to the deck? Also, would the rubber bands leave indentations in the wet deck?

Zamboknee,

Just click on my Steam Launch under my signature and you see what I did. It was basically the situation you have.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

Mario, thanks for reminding us.  I just enjoyed your build all over again.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Zambocknee,

As for the small multi-colored clamps at Harbor Freight. Alligator clips at Walmart. They are inexpensive. The clamps were 10 dollars for about 25 of them.

Don't know where you live, but this is all in the USA.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hey Zambocknee,

The multi-color clamps are on sale fight now at harbor Freight. 6 for 99 cents.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....