Le Soleil Royal by jack.aubrey - FINISHED - De Agostini - Scale 1:70

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I have painted my "doodles" closing the tops of the gunwales with stain and I have installed five stairs/steps which connect various decks together . .

Now I have to find new things to do. There are still many and I cannot decide where to start, maybe I'll start with the installation of the channels . .

01 P1090622.jpg
y4mUrWhxyAUYF0y0XBmmlVXYG3IoIAYPf1pEF70x

02 P1090623.jpg
y4mTcW3UkYSNylZNnqGOsY6OClZvpXEiS6kYA8QA

03 P1090625.jpg
y4m2AMhIK4ZdDrlt_2MFMdagoWNveRK-HJLuWsWY

04 P1090624.jpg
y4mJhfLWVBJr70oU8K_ke-hk3DR7ANMBQsdxsbeZ

Edited by jack.aubrey

• 3 weeks later...
Thursday October 17, 2013

Just few lines to update all of you regarding my health . .

During the last control medical examination, the eye doctor (who operated me for retinal detachment on the right eye in September) persuaded me to perform a cataract operation in the left eye. . he assured me that I should virtually regain all of the sight of this eye.

In the meantime the right eye is recovering and progressing very well.

On November 4, I will be operated.

That means you'll have to be patient about news on my 12 Apostles and my Soleil Royal.

I hope that everything will go well . . . I'll keep you informed.

Regarding ship modelling we will meet again at beginning of December, when I reasonnably should be able to resume all my modeling activities.

Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey.

Take your time and heal up - that is most important - we will be here, I assure you :D

Your work is outstanding!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 3 months later...
Thursday, January 2, 2014

I spent the Christmas period to reorganize my lab. . it was really needed, partly because of the long period of activity and inactivity that characterized the last months. 

I have now a full and renewed knowledge of what I have in charge and where it is . . before I felt the lab of another person. 

I had to think for a long time during these days on which model to work: the Soleil Royal or the Twelve Apostles, and at the end I decided to resume my work on the Soleil Royal. 

The reason of this decision is quite simple: the next activity on the Twelve Apostles is to do works that generate a lot of sawdust and in this particular moment I prefer, at least for a couple of months, to avoid jobs that produce dust. This to minimize the impact on my eyes, just recoverted from two surgical operations. 

So, as a logical consequence, the choice fell on the Soleil.

There are quite a lot of works to do. Today I spent the afternoon preparing a working plan that I will refine further tomorrow. 

Anyway I decided that I will start with the preparation and installation of the channels

Obviously I think to improve the material provided by De Agostini . . 

Then I'll work on the broken pieces of the masts (you should already know they will not be full masts but only a mokup interrupted below the tops . 

Now I just have to start real work and I'm going to do this tomorrow.

We'll hear soon. Jack.

Friday, January 3, 2014

As promised yesterday I went back at work. . starting with the channels.  I'm using my new glasses (I had to change them after the last cataract operation) and they sound OK.

I used the material provided by De Agostini just as a support to be coated above, below and to the sides with veneer strips of 0.5x5mm. This to provide greater realism to these details that were not built with a single piece of wood.

Obviously I still have to finish them and later I'll need to fix on the sides of the hull , so no photos.

On the other hand I wrote down a rough plan of the activities that I will carry forward in the future in order to get finished this model . It's a rough plan that needs to be further refined, but it is enough to understand that there is still much work to do, even if the solution I have in mind doesn't foresee the complete masts and consequently all the rigging and the sails.

The plan is roughly as follows; the list is not in order of priority, but only a simple list of macro activities.

• Masts: mainmast, foremastes, mizzen mast and bowstrit (only stumps) 
  • Lower and intermediate deck guns: fix gunports as prototype made some months ago 
  • Lower and middle deck guns fixing
  • Upper deck guns fixing 
  • Quarterdeck and forecastle guns: complete installation with rigging 
  • Channels 
  • Chain plates and deadeyes
  • Poop decorations to be completed 
  • Figurehead and headrails, bowsprit 
  • Missing riding bitts, belaying pins 
  • Poop lanterns 
  • Stern guns and gunports 
  • Boats to fix onboard 
  • Boat to be fixed on the display case 
  • Finishing the display case (plexyglass)

Thursday January 8, 2014 - Channels

Today I did'nt work because I had other commitments but yesterdaty I carried out some useful work with the channels: today I only limited myself in taking photos.

Preparing the channels may feel a simple task but it is not. To bring MY channels to the point that you can see in the following photos, I spent three afternoons . . . and there are still to prepare other elements.

To build MY channels I used the material from De Agostini (a pre- cut plywood rather poor) only as internal support that I covered with strips of chestnut veneer on both sides of the element.

The outer frame is made with boxwood to match the original shape.

Then I inserted some metal pins with the objective of strengthening the bonding on the sides of the hull.

But let the pictures speak for me: work in progress, you can see more clamps than anything else. They keep in place a  reinforcement below the channel.

01 P1090704.jpg
y4mej58cj_YUMuf8GnL0ppVGEoPj90yF22IDuOht

The channels installed but without the outer frame complete. .

02 P1090703.jpg
y4mootQ-fZ5HTnlbGPCu0s_MotsnkEzo23AINtfF

The channels with the outer frame (here only positioned, not fixed)

03 P1090699.jpg
y4mrMjQFtd4_xLABeOWNJKbcP1ZxOLCh1r8zKw6U

04 P1090700.jpg
y4mayVk4phk_nCO7S1lWYPSEkHLH4vzPGi1Cq0T2

Edited by jack.aubrey

Very nice. Wait to see the final

All the best from me

Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

continuation of the previous message. . 

The channels photographed from a lower perspective. 

It's possible to note that I have added a further reinforcement with the same wood of the wale below. 

I felt this measure necessary because, having decided to set up the model with no full masts, there will be no standing rigging to firmly hold together these elemens. 
In my case, in fact there will be in place only the lower deadeyes . .

01 P1090701.jpg
y4mdCc9aMf69itBOpPoolhbm0UYd4TVfgYfaT_RV

02 P1090702.jpg
y4mA77sZ5Vbxt3BP-JDAccHklmUT-6YyaQ5ObJjr

03 P1090705.jpg
y4m-JOdNcko7vVVCtCOHdJW5KPxQWPve9s81WwzJ

These days I'd the possibility to use the grinding machine illustrated here below. It 'a great tool for many processes. 
To use at its best it has to be fixed to the worktop, in my case on an old desk.
I preferred an alternative solution (although not to spoil the desk) that works in practice in the same way and can be removed easily . .

04 P1090706.jpg
y4mSq8mBCPQITZUtSeLaE9Au8mmFDRoITlKLZsBn

Edited by jack.aubrey

Thursday, January 9, 2014 - Chain Plates

Today I started to do some tests to determine how to build the chain plates with the lower deadeyes . . 

I have in mind several ideads but all of them have as a prerequisite some kind of "soldering" . . 

Unfortunately, I discovered that soldering is a real headache for me and this doesn't make things easier. I'm following training courses via YouTube where everything seems quite easy, but then I can mess with. I also asked for recommendations to friends.

I know that sooner or later it will be successful but it will cost me tears and blood before I'll get satisfactory results. 

That's all for today, Jack.

Monday, January 13, 2014 - Channels and chain plates

Yesterday I spent the afternoon of Sunday working on Soleil.

I delayed for a while the preparation of the chain plates, waiting to feel confident with "soldering" methodology. But I had to find new size of deadeyes, 7mm. rather than 5mm. (the latter are provided by De Agostini but I feel them out of scale), so I worked to finish the wooden part of the channels.

In practice, as you can see from the pictures so far proposed, they lack all the reinforcements of the upper side, similar to reversed bracket. These pieces are distributed by De Agostini pre-cut but, once again, I decided to redo them from scratch, starting from a strip of solid dark wood.

In practice I had to do from scratch these fairly small pieces with the aggravating factor that I had to correct them to get the joints to fit (one by one) to their individual locations.

This activity, laughing and joking, took me a whole afternoon . .

PS: the pencil marks on the channels and the wale below indicate the position for each chain plate. This positioning takes care of the locations of the gunports.

01 P1090710.jpg
y4m8NCiBlxAjvynHM2XJ7G5LaQNT9pfWi0KzrWX6

02 P1090711.jpg
y4mvTKTHK8NRQ0nrn6_4kk_ou9kjvI1GrWemoeVO

03 P1090712.jpg
y4m46p79QUdWRZaWDWdWHSOWR0SEecKPRS0ijNvC

04 P1090709.jpg
y4meZi9A12Goy35NhaNUlo9fHfpCYQqGmyclAb8k

Edited by jack.aubrey

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - Small but important progresses. . 

Yesterday, Wednesday, I spent a couple of hours to find, plan and fix on the sides of the hull, with the usual two-component epoxy glue, new decorations, elements that should be applied before fixing the chain plates. 

Then, while waiting for the glue to take its course, I have finished the preparation of the individual pieces that make up the chain plates that I had in mind to build for my Soleil.

01 P1090723.jpg
y4m5PiHyohkat2Hv5mno6RJEcUXcf9AwXXAgzacI

02 P1090724.jpg
y4m9-SgoE0-6pq5kcQ9GTZKT13gHS_2RVs3FSyfP

Today, however, I was able to proceed with the assemply of the chain plates . . my bigger problems was the need to weld some pieces, task which for me had always been rather problematic. But this time I put new right efforts and, with the proper tools and the correct method I finally managed the job . . 

Below two pictures show you ten "prototype" chain plates . . but I'm so satisfied of the result that I will pass to mass production soon: I need to build about sixty of them.

03 P1090721.jpg
y4mBGAPmFvDlCo1_zxz5-yBUKIcLjNRvt1bg5jrt

04 P1090722.jpg
y4mQN3vRVulSfvlTe8hxivYNjXDBVze51vhNIZUy

Edited by jack.aubrey

Friday, January 17, 2014 - Ropewalk machine

I have read in many diaries that some modelers have built their own ropewalk machine to prepare the ropes with which set up the standing and running rigging on their models.

Obviously there are many examples of such machines , both on ship modelling texts or surfing the internet and therefore they are machines that are within the reach of the construction capabilities of many modelers . Many kit manufacturers will also have some models in their catalogs.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to see and photograph a variant of this machine, which, unlike most of the standards, which are usually quite long, is characterized by a very limited length.

This instrument , made by a modeler whose nickname is " Vass " , is a little building gem, entirely self-made, starting from standard items on the market ( electric motors, coils for sewing machines, etc) .

I enclose below the photos, though certainly not of excellent quality due the lack of light.

01 Ropewalk Machine\CAM00115.jpg
y4m5M2ICA5zRwx12j5e-YhL-98NBr4B2obBzME3k

02 Ropewalk Machine\CAM00116.jpg
y4mea7uBE6px-s-C7j6UzsVM1yH7TUYWBJ_ldgaj

03 Ropewalk Machine\CAM00120.jpg
y4moHQIKB-P_8gP5I9QPMp30bO120pThjjSaILkz

Edited by jack.aubrey

Saturday, January 25, 2014 - Chain plates again . .

On Thursday and Friday I continued to devote myself to the construction of the " blessed chain plates". After the ten prototypes that I have fully complied with, now it remains to construct another 50 to complete the full set.

So these two days I started this business, pretty boring because of the high repeatability.

Let's say that today, if I find a couple of hours to work, matter that is not guaranteed due to other commitments, I should add to the ten prototypes about 35-40 new pieces.

Then I'll can finally proceed with their installation on the hull.

But first, there is still another task to do : paint or burnish brass/tin with which they are made.

1st hypothesis : Painting

Here the problem lies in how to prepare the pieces for painting . The solding flux paste leaves a film of dirt that must be removed in advance with a detergent. Then a coat of primer and matt black or gun metal. Does anyone have any idea what is better to use for cleaning ?

2nd Hypothesis : Browning

Again, there is the problem of degreasing with the addition of the uncertainty of how the burnishing liquid works on brass and tin. If that produces the same color effect or not. In the latter case I would say that this hypothesis would be rejected. Has anyone an answer on this matter?

For now it's all about, to hear from you, Jack.Aubrey.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Jack those chainplates look really really good!!

Such great work you are doing;  love watching it take shape!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 4 weeks later...
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - Display Case 

Cause a very aggressive flu I did nothing since my last post in this topic.

In the meantime, however, I had arranged with a craftsman to prepare for my model a display case in plexiglass; this case went in the meantime available just these last days. 

It seems pointless to go back on the exposition way of the model, since it is a topic discussed in detail in the past. 

Here are some photos which show that, even with the selected display solution, it is a very nice "backside" although it's nothing if compared with the model completed with masting. 

Cheers, Jack.

01 P1090734.jpg
y4mL68jMnXbjGu7MGDX4MPJKkBme8I7zVm_lE8p9

02 P1090733.jpg
y4myffPCXQpcfmdu8H9zfIW1LCopIfYCCLjGm1lv

03 P1090732.jpg
y4m3UOsXFSBryaSBWnAmQtgCChSriGqduAr3DSWN

04 P1090731.jpg
y4mqM8W8nwJ1Sh5ctqr_Ebl9qc_eyBZm-dK-95Z1

Edited by jack.aubrey

Thursday, February 20, 2014 - still chain plates . .

Today I started the painting of the more than 50 chain plates.

- I prepared a small polystyrene frame on which I applied two strips of double-sided adhesive on which to place the pieces to be painted.

- Once I placed all the chain plates on the frame I painted with the airbrush a metal primer on all the items. I then waited an hour or so waiting the primer to dry.

- In the meantime I prepared the airbrush with the final paint color (the final color is not exactly this, but for now we can consider it so).

- I then sprayed the chain plates and I left everything to dry thoroughly.

- Tomorrow I will proceed to remove and reposition the chain plates on the other side to repeat the same procedure on the hidden side . Only at this point the task of painting can be considered as finished.

At that point i'll have to mount them in place and, once established definitively, with the dry-brush technique pass a rather rough coat (only on the metal parts of the chain plates) with "gun metal" paint.

Hoping everything is clear, warm greetings, Jack.

01 P1090736.jpg
y4mEKpsdFFaRtGIZv9mx3k-k7QWQWpCWb2-MNnn1

02 P1090735.jpg
y4mRJHlUV29aJNgQYTrMn1fbOkb_o7Rwc-sNV8tt

03 P1090738.jpg
y4mM9NwuScfpKwth3Jrje0TFh_Jfap8nI3vovIhJ

Edited by jack.aubrey

• 1 month later...

Hi Yves,

now my health is fine, the eyes are recovering very well. The only problem is that my sight from small distance (for shipmodeling is important) is now worst than before (while from far distance is ok) and I need new glasses . . . 

But I need some time again to stabilize the sight of my right eye (few weeks) before buying new glasses . . In the meantime i'm working to a new project for the future: the hms lenox of 1678. It is described in the book "the restoration warship" by Richard Endsor. Now I0'm working with AutoCAD to produce the plans.

Edited by jack.aubrey

• 3 weeks later...
Saturday, April 12, 2014 - reopening the shipyard . .

It's almost two months since this yard was closed, due to various commitments . . Now it is a couple of days I've found the will to start working again and I immediately applied myself to finish the work I stopped before this health interruption.

The new work consisted of installing in their place all the deadeyes and their chains . An operation that requires a good deal of patience and precision. At the end it came out with a job half done, in the sense that I finished the right side of the model and for the next few days I have to complete the left side.

I forgot to write that before closing the shipyard I prepared the stumps of the masts, excluding the bowsprit. These pieces can be seen in some of the attached images.

I omit the explanation of how I proceeded in fixing the chain plates, I think everyone can imagine how . I am very happy with the resulting strength and appearance.

Here are some pictures to describe the work done and the results obtained.

01 P1090756.jpg
y4mxqiAJ1X9Tx_KvotTtCpgntyKuBTIk0Yr5KXXZ

02 P1090750.jpg
y4mnhqilA7Q37XjNWgvQoLiJYHrkWf0r6jZex0aw

03 P1090752.jpg
y4mFNxO4q85Cv6lmimlrkuz-J6JPXZSNHI3aAznf

04 P1090751.jpg
y4mBU093M-xcTEs55NLhnJtxfGcDuTEtSIwf1ayI

Edited by jack.aubrey

Very nice work. Too bad in a way, that these chainplates will have nothing to attach to. Extending the mast a little bit higher would have allowed to install some lines....but then it is a lot of work!

Jack, I am glad to see that you have the drive to build again.

Yves

Saturday, April 19, 2014 - slowly but . .

As I said in the title, slowly. . . but regularly, I resumed working on the Soleil Royal. This week I finished the installation of the chain plates and the deadeyes, left missing on one side of the hull. This time, thanks to the experience gained from the work of the previous week, I went slightly faster.

I then changed type of activity: although it probably will not be the most appropriate activity in a logical sequence, I began to work to install the gun ports and the guns (or the half pipe skeletons of the gun) themselves. Twenty-six gun ports on each side plus four aft and four in the bow.

I already prepared long time ago the wooden part of these ports. Now I have prepared brass rings starting from wire 0.25 rolled around a drill bit of 0.5. For every door will need three, two to lift it and one to withdraw, so 60 x 3 = 180.

To make the story short, after having prepared enough material for one side, I set the rings on the gunports, and then I tried gluing the ports in their position. I  used for this task the two components epoxy glue and a drop of cyan in gel format. The gel is useful to keep the ports in position for the 12/24 hour necessary to the epoxy for hardening.

I think this is the strongest bonding possible, as confirmed by the prototype that I prepared and shown long time ago.

Here are some pictures . . but the work still to be done is a lot. I took photos with the smartphone, so they are not very sharp, but still give the idea in their own way .

01 CAM00168.jpg
y4mwAtNqZJK4frxQHzpPqlvtdh8abbt5FyEXdLUE

02 CAM00162.jpg
y4m679ME9yEueCBBSudJlAI2PiBdW5eCHiMRuYAc

03 CAM00165.jpg
y4ma6aef97Xb7C3DYRH2zwlg36P3In4ejraUjNCV

04 CAM00166.jpg
y4mBY_VcQvN8CWr66XceKOHUK1_wuNkEKfCveJFv

Edited by jack.aubrey

Today, Easter Sunday, resting relaxed.

I just checked when I went to pick up my mother-in-law to bring her to my house that the bonding of the gun ports, made  with the epoxy came well: I have not tried the breaking point it seem to be, for my feeling, pretty high. So I'm fully satisfied with my choice.

Cheers, Jack.

CAM00163.jpg
y4mGiOzTG4b5s_3_nNO-umhKkkEmbXkem6J_pDnq

CAM00167.jpg
y4mcB6LRWok6OHIuR01hyrzLXxrjF0NrxDia7GlK

P1090757.jpg
y4mPm33NyRU9il3KTQplCuzkhvCAwZ52ObVDMCUf

Edited by jack.aubrey

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The day is dedicated to building a hundred rings with pin, to simulate the ring bolts on the gun ports, in order to have material enough for the remaining pieces. The photo below shows the procedure I used to build these "ring bolts": 0.25 brass wire with the ends bent and clamped in a tweezers. At this point everything is screwed around a drill bit and run enough revolutions to achieve the right piece . . simple but VERY repetitive, every 10 pieces I was surfing on the internet to change and relax.

01 P1090759.jpg
y4m-UGQsLqQRUB2RFDViXhEl1_zSfsi2C19G7Ktf

Then I browned the whole so that they were ready for final assembly.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

At the last moment I discovered in my personal, old, unused pieces reserve some copper elements that may serve very well to simulate the hinges and I decided to use them. The decision resulted in looking at the gun ports already attached to the hull, where the top is very well visible and therefore this kind of element should improve realism. 

I then browned them too and I began to prepare them for installation by cutting them into pieces of appropriate length. 

In the first image we see the wooden gun ports ready to start work, pre-drilled to accommodate a group of ring bolts and also the ring bolts burnished.

02 P1090763.jpg
y4msCG8nlgXvNTBOUlXNaZoWiXerMFm7D7ZlaYRk

Below we see the gun ports "finished", that is, ready to be bonded on the hull and then go to the following processes: ropes to open the ports, for their closing and the half-barrel of the gun. 

I forgot: after the operation a thin coat of matt transparent paint to even out the color and hide the spots of glue.

03 P1090761.jpg
y4mYDJlRq9YwfSNscH2079HY4ScvebKBwqFV86WD

That's all for today, but tomorrow I'll continue with the same activities of today. I hope to finish all the gun ports according to picture 03. 
Regards, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Saturday, April 26, 2014

I've finished to setup the gunports. Today I've mounted them to the hull with the usual method (bi-component epoxy glue and cyano-acrylate). 
I've also definitely installed the masts on the decks. 

Here are the four aft gunports below the galleries . .

01 P1090766.jpg
y4mxwQDbpifpCwK9R_xsPd5pjQDpujWgWL1xqH8H

02 P1090770.jpg
y4mJbC7Op_T5E4mXMAlONdEzx66__6z_YC96vtsP

. . and here are the two (not four as I mistakenly wrote earlier) gunports at the bow . .

03 P1090768.jpg
y4mOzEIs_YV1HT-1AaC4r8HqS1eHaeLnuEKFAXYi

04 P1090767.jpg
y4mJ3RZr9zfXerRDtm-oViko793AIMz6X61M5v1B

I'll continue soon . .

Edited by jack.aubrey

Continuation. . 

Now even the starboard side has been "decorated" with the gunports. Here, unlike the left side, the hinges are already present on the ports, or rather the bits of burnished copper that simulate them. I think the aesthetic is much better. Obviously I will have to mount the same details on other gunports on the left side. 

Now all gunports are positioned and well bonded. The next step in equipping the ropes to close them. To do this, I'll have to tie a rope on the internal ringbolt, drill the hull inside the port window in proper position, place the head of the rope through the hole and secure it with a some glue. This for sixty times. .  

01 P1090765.jpg
y4moRFb0JGTG1XWXScxCXwFWRj6-5hElrdWUi1l0

02 P1090771.jpg
y4mcs_zWsdeQy79I0sr0mraDyVVPjf8MKJgH4vBk

03 P1090773.jpg
y4mApUEovJFbtYDVJW9CL6v4Ox_HftDohZ3j7Gy5

04 P1090772.jpg
y4m98os4_OfPgdxhL4O0yuAUwTXaqJBOY-fqVygg

To break the monotony at the same time I'm preparing the structure supporting the boats that you can see (only positioned) in the next photo. The work is still in progress. .

05 P1090769.jpg
y4m86wE48mjlymblL3CC6O-leQ4N00kqY3IK_F80

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

Thursday, May 1, 2014

This afternoon was quite fruitful, at least considering my way of working, notoriously rather slow. 
As a diversion about working around the gunports lids, I focused on the preparation of the support structures for the boats. 
In the following picture the structure coloured in red was already partially ready, I limited myself to prepare cradles with the shape of the boats hull, fix them and stain in mahogany. Finally some eye bolts to band the boats to the structure with ropes. 
The other two in the image, left natural wood, are the ones that will be placed on the basement of the display case and that will support the two larger boats.

01 P1090776.jpg
y4myLmCHnH83rC9XNGG_i_5AQtqVBw9CzLodkhhX

Below the boats as they will when installed. They are almost all finished, there are only a few details (oars, rudder, etc.) to add on the "green" boat.

02 P1090777.jpg
y4mU7ccKduBi5KAWVxuNITs2KfQzMjVChsBAKCST

03 P1090780.jpg
y4mCPO-9nuG_EFeAObTqCV4GXdq2SPyvRAyh36A3

Finally I tried the final fixing of a boat, just to see the final effect. It is one of the two launches which will be fixed on the basement.

04 P1090781.jpg
y4mJnTRmr4pmsGJzgCmhHoKL3IQn4hHbVSgGQGvh

05 P1090782.jpg
y4mluIofsDXPhYHKtSTmEBTS2xpVVkrCfZO8XVpC

That's all for today, tomorrow I should have the afternoon available, maybe I'll continue . . Regards, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

• 2 weeks later...
Sunday, May 11, 2014

Not a very productive week. Apart the short time dedicated to the model, most of the work done on it was to work around the gunport lids to fix the ropes used to close them. Nothing significantly for taking a photo. In the interval between these boring activities I have finished the fourth lauch, the "green" one, and I fixed it to its support together with the "blue" launch. 

The two pictures here below show the two boats on its basement . . .

01 P1090793.jpg
y4mvz6CMHlSslwR6_kTbmbaXVRjOAYh36U0Jc38c

02 P1090792.jpg
y4momrwAYb4UjTlV_YW5tkiKXpTAqunyd9sUVFDL

. . . while the remaining two images show the boats on board of the vessel. They are only positioned, not fixed, because I do not think it is the right time to definitely bond them in place. I'm thinking about a fixing method that uses pins instead of glue so it can be removed if necessary for access to the details installed on the deck . . . 

03 P1090791.jpg
y4mMWGEPdDSnYMgJH3YvlOGQilu7WTiwX4Kiu5Rd

04 P1090790.jpg
y4mTh_A8H1F2dZ1MlkJ8l-0SFdJsrmn4RPDHqHtp

I hope next time I'll be able to show something more interesting. Sincerely, Jack.Aubrey.

Edited by jack.aubrey