New kit in the market: HMS Sirius

Hello all. Not sure if this is new news, but I got an email from Modeler's Central for pre-ordering this new kit.

There is a 6 DVD set on how to build it. A modeler's dream come true.  :D

http://www.modelerscentral.com/ship-model-kits/modellers-shipyard/hms-sirius-flag-ship-of-the-first-fleet-1787/?mc_cid=eddcd7386e&mc_eid=bbbae52e1e

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

This kit is not 'new.' Modeller's Shipyard (modeller's central) was selling it some years ago. The rumour was that it was that it was taken off the market due to design faults - I'm not sure if this is true but it looks like they have resurrected it - they must have fixed the problems that existed in the earlier version ???????? This kit is considerably cheaper than the original which (from memory) sold for around $1100 (AU)

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

the bowsprit looks undersized to my eye.

To mine too Frankie - the bowsprit should be about the same diameter as the foremast, which it clearly isn't.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I too got sent an email regarding this model. Looks nice in the pictures, is really big, not too bad a price from that site,

the addition of a free dvd also helps the deal, and the ship is a very significant part of our country's history. Having

said all that i do really respect Brian's opinion (and others as well) on the subject and just wonder if i am willing to

risk $800 (by the time postage). also i reckon for models this expensive they need to go into more detail about the

kit. i want to know if the life boats are metal or wood for example. all companies seem to use the same stock standard

blurb to describe whats in the box. nearly all greatly stretch the truth to say the least. 

chris

I think you may be right Frankie. I checked out the Sirius Website and there is a good diagram of the bow section. The bowsprit on the model does seem to be a smaller diameter than the one in the diagram. ( link below)

http://www.hmssirius.com.au/the-early-years.html

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Rick, I think you are right about the boats. They look identical to the ones supplied with the Perseverance and Mermaid - which were plastic. I think this may be the case with other manufacturers as well though. The Caldercraft Supply ( my current build) did not even come with a ship's boat. I actually used the plan from the Modellers Shipyard Sirius Longboat (which I reduced to a length of about 8cm on a photocopier) and scratch built it. It turned out really well - better than anything I could buy.

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

There is a scratchbuilt model of HMS Sirius in the Norfolk Island Museum, as well as one of HMS Bounty. I'm not sure of the scale but I think they're 1:24 (big :D ).

My model of HMAT Supply is in the same museum.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

hey Dan is there pics or links to that museum? would love to see those.

chris

Not really Chris, all I can find on Google is the Tourism bit which doesn't really show too much :(

http://norfolkislandmuseum.com.au/exhibitions/hms-sirius/

http://norfolkislandmuseum.com.au/collections/hms-sirius/

Cheers, Danny