Metalic Paint/Gilded Paint

Can anyone recommend a gilded (gold) paint and an application method that will not hide small detail such as the mullions of small windows or the edges of cap rails and trim?

Jerry

You will never know if you can do something until you try... and even then you may not be sure.

Jerry,

You might want to have a look at the Krylon brand "foil" paints. I emphasise the "foil" in the name of the paint. They are a spray can.  Although i have recently acquired some, I have not used them yet myself, but fellow MSW member Ken Foran ("xken") has used them extensively in his exquisite brass model building (check out his book on this subject too). You will find a link to his book in his build log for Niagara. You might also wish to PM him for further advice.  Ken is also the kit designer for the Model Expo model of the Allerton Steam Pumper.

Hope this helps.

Jerry:

The Krylon foil paints are great - also got the tip to use them from Ken Foran.  I have decanted them from the spray can to use in my airbrushes and they are great that way too - better control than by the spray can.  I did use some decanted foil paint with a brush to touch up some small areas on a build and it worked OK for that too.  I don't know how it would be applied by brush to a larger area though.  One point on these paints - they are to be applied over a white primer undercoat.  I think it's more for the color than the sticking to the subject.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks for the help, Grant and Kurt.  I will look into the Krylon Foil paints.  I can't spray it, I will have to apply it with a small brush.  It will be used on the outer edge of the cap rails and on some moldings.  I won't use very much so I guess I can spray a little puddle on my paint pad and the apply it by brush.

Jerry

You will never know if you can do something until you try... and even then you may not be sure.

I haven't tried the Krylon, but I really like the Testors gold and brass paints for brush painting small areas.

I am intrigued by this Krylon stuff, so I googled it. At the moment I use Vallejo gold with satisfactory results, but it is nowhere near as fine grained as Krylon appears to be. You can still see flecks of gold with the Vallejo paint, whereas Krylon painted models (on Google, at least) look as if it has been electroplated. Does anyone have any links for further info? How do you use it? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Here  is an example of the Krylon Gold Foil paint on a whitte metal casting from the Steam Pumper that Ken Foran designed for Model ExpoThis was done with the rattle can.  The white metal casting was cleaned up a bit and then primed with Badger STYNLREZ white primer.  I can say with confidence that one can't tell this apart from a plated piece.

Kurt

post-177-0-32795500-1434465776_thumb.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 4 weeks later...

There is also the Alclad system http://alclad2.com/

It requires a base coat, normally gloss black, and can only be applied by airbrush.

Depending on the base coat color, you can get different shades of your choice of metal.

alclad-ii-mirrored-gold-for-lexan-12.gif

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."