Belaying pins: help!

rlb

I will need about 100 belaying pins for my Oneida model.  To be scale accurate, they would need to be about .02 inch (.5mm) at their narrowest diameter, and .333 inches (8.5mm) length--this would be for a 16" real size belaying pin at 1:48 scale.  Whether purchased or hand-made, this would seem to rule out wood. 

Most likely, I am looking at buying brass belaying pins which I will blacken.  Any suggestions from you all as to where the most scale accurate ones might be bought, or have any of you tried to make them at this size?  

I don't have a lathe, although maybe I could work something up with a hand drill or rotary tool.

Do I need to forget about accurate scale, and just go with what's available to buy?

Open to suggestions and recommendations,

Ron

Ron,

Two place come to mind off the top of my head... ModelExpo and Bluejacket.  I have no idea if they have the right size.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

ME has both brass and wooden pins at a length of 8mm.  I don't know the diameter but the wood look a little thicker.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I get my brass belaying pins from Bluejacket Shipcrafters. They also sell a toner called Brass Brown that will tone them brown to look like wood. I have used it and I have seen others use and it works.

Russ

I just ordered some 8mm brass pins from Model Expo. They were $7.50 for 150 pins. Bluejacket has 5/16" long brass belaying pins at

$3.85 a dozen.

I've got to get belaying pins for my Constitution (I don't like the ones that came in the kit) and I'll need 150 or so. I may just order a dozen from Bluejacket to compare (after I get the set from ME)

Thanks,

Harvey

Ron

There is a note on making pins that would have 0.020mm smallest diameter pins in the deck furniture forum posted February 24th that may help you.  I suspect I should have posted it in the rigging forum.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Also ask Jim Lad (John) how he made them for the Stag.  They are at 1:96 scale.  I don't think they were added to the new forum yet.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for that suggestion, Bob.

I do remember seeing John's post on MSW 1.0 on his hand made belaying pins. Also just saw Russ' nice handmade pins in his cross section log. I'm not as confident of my ability or patience to hand-file 100 tiny wooden pins, all alike!

I've got some brass rod and tube on order, to give Allan's technique a try. But if it doesn't work out for me, at least I know the handmade wooden ones are a possibility.

Ron