HMS Bounty by maturin52 - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:48

Welcome to my build log for the HMS Bounty from AL. This will be my forth ship model and my second build log. I built Billings Bluenose many years ago when I was living in Halifax, NS. It was fun to be able to go downtown and board the actual ship in question to check details. That model got damaged over the years in a couple of moves, general decay, and the attentions of a cat. When I retired a while back, I stripped her down to the hull and rebuilt her. That's all it took, I was hooked and back into the hobby in a big way. I then built AL's HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - a picture of the finished boat appears at the top of my King of the Mississippi build log. The riverboat was my 3rd kit, and I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I was less than diligent about the log, however, and much of the process was unrecorded. I'm starting this with the intention of being more organized. My thanks to all the other contributors on this site; your pictures, comments, and hints are invaluable.

post-17431-0-61278500-1441497364_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-23673300-1441497365_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-80250900-1441497365_thumb.jpg

Edited by maturin52

I've progressed to about Step 4 in the instructions - true to form for AL, the instructions are a little cryptic, but between them and this site, I'm confident that all will be well. I discovered on previous builds that it's a good idea to sand the black laser residue from the edges of the precut pieces, as this only way paint, stain, and glue will adhere properly. I stained and varnished all the plywood pieces (American Walnut), and varnished the crossbeams and floor surfaces. So far, so good....

Edited by maturin52

Looking good so far mate.

Just remember to avoid overdoing it when sanding edges. Few careless moves and you might change the shape of parts, which might cause some problems later. I've learnt to be careful with that few years ago when I was building my first RC plane from kit.

Good luck with your model. Keep us updated ;).

Liberate my madness!!!

Hannah

I'm going to try and add to this build log weekly, assuming there is progress to report. I'm on the site much more often than that, however... I've been developing the routine  of looking at other build logs before moving on with each step. So... the hull framing is complete, and the lower deck sections are varnished and installed along with the mid-deck support beams and the false keel. I am very pleased with the way all the pieces fit together, and what I have so far appears to be a solid foundation for what is to come.

post-17431-0-85016100-1441991202_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-48781200-1441991203_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-28900600-1441991204_thumb.jpg

I really like the idea of adding cabins to the lower deck... I was surprised that the kit did not include them. I printed a copy of the work bryanc posted, and will be using that as a guide for my own creations. Thanks, Bryan! I have plenty of leftover bits and pieces fro earlier kits, so it should be an enjoyable challenge. Never throw wood away, not even the sheets the parts are cut out of! Work is coming along on the well, and the cabins will be next.

Hi Maturin.

Nice start to your build..

I have this kit as yet not started. Just waiting for the right time and space to appear on my work bench.

There are a few build logs of the Bounty. They all contain lots of usefull ideas and mods to help the build.

Adding the internal details will enhance the model and your enjoyment.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Nice start, looking forward to more

As mentioned above, I've decided to follow others and add the missing partitions to the lower deck. I measured and constructed 5 walls for this purpose. I used 50mm pieces of wood to build up these structures, put in several framed doors, and planked the works with the same material used for the decks. Here's the results, though they still need to be sanded, trimmed and varnished.

post-17431-0-57344700-1442607689_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-36322900-1442607690_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-08763500-1442607691_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-93659200-1442607691_thumb.jpg

Well, I've managed to get a lot more done that I had anticipated. All the lower deck are installed, and to my mind, it looks infinitely better that the wide open lower deck provided for in the basic kit. It's also a lot of fun to look at a particular structure and know that it was a scratch-built addition. I'll be doing more of those as I go along, thanks in no small part to inspirations found in these build log. What a wonderful resource, it's so great to get feedback and advice from others who share the same passion!

post-17431-0-60579500-1442696651_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-52150900-1442696652_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-20529200-1442696653_thumb.jpg

Looking great. It's so fun when you put your own slant on a kit model. It's make your model yours and no one has anything like it!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Well, the mid-deck is planked and installed as well as the two grates. They were fun to build. I used a light walnut stain on the grates themselves, then varnish for the grates and frames. The varnish isn't quite dry yet in the picture, but I'm pleased with the result. Onward!

post-17431-0-55512100-1443227235_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-47418500-1443227236_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-18486200-1443227237_thumb.jpg

Hello all the Bounty builders , i follow all your build log. I foud full good idea in all the different build log for building mine.Last week i check the instructions and the parts , and i have a question about the single planking with the 2mm thick walnut .Watt do you think off double planking with two kind off strip more thin ?

I'm going to use the planking as supplied in the kit. A while back I purchased a plank-bending tool sold by Artesenia Latina which is designed to bend thicker planking by crimping. I've seen a few how-to demos on Youtube, and I'm hopeful that it will be answer... still a ways to go before arriving at that point, however.

I'm going to use the planking as supplied in the kit. A while back I purchased a plank-bending tool sold by Artesenia Latina which is designed to bend thicker planking by crimping. I've seen a few how-to demos on Youtube, and I'm hopeful that it will be answer... still a ways to go before arriving at that point, however.

G'day

I've have both the electric plank bender as well as the crimping type. Take my advice and buy the electric. It's far superior because it will bend the timber evenly, while the crimper bends it on the crimped joint only. You will have to do many crimping only 1mm or so apart to get a smooth bend. Doing this there's a large change of breakage. 

All the best on what you decide. 

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• Well, so far I've been keeping to the weekly update schedule. This week, I've completed the mid-deck partitions, stained the panels, varnished the whole works and installed them. I really liked the look in another build log of actually adding plants to the pot-racks in the aft cabin - I suspect that this would normally have been the Wardroom, but when the HMS Bounty loaded breadfruit plants in Tahiti, every possible square inch was taken over to provide room for as many bushes as possible (except Bligh's cabin, I bet!). I used pieces of scrap wood for the 'trunks', and picked up some model train "bushes' to make the foliage. I considered using beads to simulate actual breadfruit, but since juvenile plants were taken onboard, they wouldn't have been bearing fruit before they were all tossed overboard by the mutineers. I liked the size of the ringbolts and rings, so I went ahead and used them for the door hardware. Next are a couple of ladders, then I'll test fit the maindeck and make sure everything lines as it should. So far, so good. I'm really enjoying this build, and I'm in particular hurry to get to the hull planking. It will come soon enough!

post-17431-0-29057500-1443828619_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-09888500-1443828620_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-88335500-1443828620_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, so much for keeping to a weekly update schedule. Although I've been managing to find time most days to do a little work on the Bounty, I've procrastinated about adding to this build log because much of the work was off-model, or was too transitional to show much of anything. Anyway, in the time since my last entry, I've planked and installed the main deck. I decided to go ahead with the nailing as specified in the instructions. I'm pleased with the results, and I'm displeased with the results - imagine that, mixed feelings. Contrary to some of the modelers posting here, I rather like the look of brass nailheads, fittings, and whatnot. To me, it looks like the ship is brand new, or is constantly kept shiny by a taut captain. It's likely less authentic that the blackened look, but for me, at this point in my ship-building career, bling is a good thing!

The deck lined up with the masts and the pipes for the bilge pump (a 1/4" drill bit took care of notching the beams) but I do have a few issues with alignment of the edge of the deck and the rise of the hull, however, I have a plan! I shimmed the few spots needed roughly, and should be able to make any adjustments necessary with file and putty  when planking the hull. That's the plan anyway.

The planks on the stern are well underway, and I guess the next big project will be planning and executing the hull planking itself. I've been doing my homework, reading build logs, planking-how-to articles, and experimenting with scrap pieces. Time will tell.

Here are a few quick shots of the progress to date:

post-17431-0-23643400-1445365737_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-25608600-1445365738_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-06426400-1445365739_thumb.jpg

And so the hull construction begins, and the dreaded plank-bending and fitting. I've read extensively on this site and other resources trying to find what method(s) work best, for most builders. It always comes back to a judicious combination of clamping, soaking, and heating. Attached is a stand-alone picture of the result I've achieved with ideas I've put together from my studies. First, the best tip I got was using the metal filler plates from old computers! I have several of them kicking around in storage, and as a result, several of these plates. You know the ones... the little pieces of metal that close up expansion slots that aren't being used. These are quite bendable, and can easily be twisted and bent to conform to quite complex shapes. So, having bent one of these to exactly replicate the needed curve for the bow, I then clamp the plank to the template, bending it only as much as it will bend without strain. Then I submerged the entire assembly in hot water - I use a spare paint-roller tray for this. After 30mins to an hour of soaking, I re-position and add clamps to increase the bend of the plank. This is repeated until the wood exactly conforms to the desired shape. Now I take the newly bent plank, still clamped to the template and slide it repeatedly over the barrel of a hot soldering iron, moving fast enough to prevent scorching, but slow enough to evaporate water from the wood and set the curve. I then left the whole works to dry completely, and the curve holds beautifully. This is a time-consuming process, but it promises to make the hull construction infinitely easier, much more accurate, and a lot of fun! Also, hopefully it will cut down on wasted material and putty!

post-17431-0-06566200-1445622461_thumb.jpg

Wow, another Bounty build log.  This AL kit is getting to be quite popular with members of this site.  I know other Bounty builders have been of great assistance to me.  Don't hesitate to ask questions (or give advice).

Welcome to the list of Bounty builders.

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

• 3 months later...

Well, I fell completely off the map. I had some fairly major surgery back in November and spent a couple of weeks in hospital, and a month or more afterwards unable to work on my Bounty project. In the meantime, I had some computer problems, necessitating a hard drive wipe and OS re-install. Fun times! In any case, I'm back with the computer, running Windows 10 and liking it, but have been unable to access this site. (They don't respond to password reset requests.) I have been back at my shipyard, and have actually completed planking the hull and I am currently staining and varnish her. I am not thrilled with the result, but it's good enough for this point in my modelling career. I'll get some pictures posted in the next few days. Back on track!

• 4 weeks later...

This image is about a week or two old. I've finished the hull planking, as I said above, and am not completely satisfied with the result. However, I learned a great deal in the process, and it is an improvement over my last plank on frame effort, and I am confident that the next model I tackle will be even better. That's what it's all about, isn't it... developing skills and improving the results with each new project. Since this picture was taken, I've been working on the deck railings, and am now working on the stern decoration. I'll get a couple of pics up here within a couple of days.

post-17431-0-26059100-1456254938_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been quite diligent in working on my Bounty, but not so good at uploading progress reports. I've reached that point that everyone has commented on, where the written instructions suddenly stop, and all you have to work with is the book of photographs and the plan sheets. And Model Ship World, of course! Thank God for these build logs and the pictures and discussions available here. They have been a great source of ideas, inspiration, and solutions! Here is a picture of the mizzen pinrails I've built and installed. I will get a few more detail shots up here over the next few days!

post-17431-0-10119200-1458251785_thumb.jpg

Now it's time to get up to date on my build. As is evident, I'm well past the area of detailed instructions and into the no-man's land of examining photos, parts list, and plans sheets to figure what to do next, and in what order. As has often been the case in the past, the build logs on this site have been a godsend. I had a few issues with the cannon ports, getting them in the wrong place first attempt, and even now, I'm really not too sure about the sizes. If they're incorrect, however, it won't be a big project to correct them when it come time to mount the cannons. I've included some details oif various bits of 'deck furniture', as well as an overview of where I stand at the moment. I'm currently working on the galley stove, but can't for the life of me identify Part 300, the 'condenser"! Time for a little close perusal of some of the other logs!

post-17431-0-20450900-1458860386_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-98587700-1458860386_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-67245300-1458860387_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-64813200-1458860582_thumb.jpg

Hi maturin

This is the stove condenser, it looks like a miniature cannon and is located in the parts box that contains the black metal parts

post-11947-0-98582400-1458908804_thumb.jpg

also if it where me i would build the cannons before going any further and check them for fit in the cannon ports. Might make the job easier in the long run :)

Edited by Cobr@

Thank you, Cobr@! I did find that piece and I thought it WAS a cannon ... the picture in the instructions is not good! I think the cannons are next after the stove. I've just finished going back to step 1, checking all the parts, and making sure everything was done. I did this after reading what a few guys ran into with the knightheads(?). I, too, had missed them in the picture, and it was far easier to backtrack now and correct those omissions than it would be later on when rigging and masts are getting in the way!

Yes there are a lot of omissions in the instructions, like the one where the fittings for the anchor ropes to pass through the main deck suddenly appear without any mention of fitting them :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the process of constructing and installing deck furniture continues! Here are a few photos showing what I've been working on the past few weeks: the winch, the galley stove, the capstan and bilge pumps, assembling the cannons and their tackle, and the chart table. The very observant may notice that the chart table is displaying an unrolled chart of Nova Scotia, Canada. Inresearching materials, I've found the AL plans for the cannon reigging to be incomplete, so I'll be doing them differently. In addition, each cannon should have an assortment of tools nearby: rammers, sponges, screws, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to fabricate some sort of reasonable facsimile of these essential tools.

post-17431-0-11429700-1460591643_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-01391800-1460591663_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-68640200-1460591663_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-41542500-1460591664_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-23039800-1460591665_thumb.jpg

Edited by maturin52

• 2 weeks later...

The cannons are constructed and installed, along with their trains and restraining ropes. I've purposely left the coils of rope laying rather randomly around the guns, since Bounty was not a warship, but rather a hired and armed merchant ship. Each line does have its coil, however, and each would run free in use. The AL instructions say (and show) nothing about recoil restraint, but a little research shows the large ropes anchored to the bulkhead to be essential, so I've added them.

post-17431-0-65336300-1461437839_thumb.jpg

post-17431-0-69727000-1461437997_thumb.jpg

Another item conspicuously missing from the AL build is the tools sailors would need to actually load and fire these weapons. I'll attach a nice image I've found showing a variety of tools that were used. In actual use, however, it seems that each stations was equipped with a combination rammer/sponger. Perhaps the other items - screws, etc. - would be available in a central location for common use. I'll ignore those, but I am going to construct a double-headed pole with a rammer on one end, and a sponger on the other end.

post-17431-0-11594300-1461438528_thumb.jpg