Marie Jeanne by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50 scale

Nicely done Jack. however my advice would be to solder everything together before you install them on your model.  I assume you used CA for gluing and that does not have the tensile strength for rigging.  I found a photo of what I was talking about but it is pretty bad.

post-227-0-89445900-1452724152.jpg

David B

Nicely done Jack. however my advice would be to solder everything together before you install them on your model.  I assume you used CA for gluing and that does not have the tensile strength for rigging.  I found a photo of what I was talking about but it is pretty bad.

post-227-0-89445900-1452724152.jpg

David B

looks great Jack, Might I suggest that you rotate the loops down to be in line sort of like an eye-bolt with the loop at both ends, that way the tension on it will be in line, and there is no tendency for the loop to want to pull down.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looks great Jack, She's coming together rather nicely

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

and  a website of a replica in britain:

http://www.krog-e-barz.com/construction.php

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Ofencer29350: Thanks for the photos - those are very impressive models. I notice that only some of the sails are colored. Is there a "pattern"/standard for which sail(s) are colored and which are white or natural. Also in the next to last photo above there is a black/ochre colored square beam with triagular "steps" (??) laying on the deck next to the rack. What is that beam used for?

My English is not as well good as I shall also want him(it) I am going to use a software:

Colors are chosen by the skipper, the owner of the boat

the registration which we can see is an abbreviation of the port of registry

ex concarneau becomes CC + a number

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Thanks for explanation.

In the photo below what is the beam (red arrow) used for? Dans la photo ci-dessous ce qui est le faisceau (flèche rouge) utilisé?

post-13502-0-10443600-1452790744_thumb.jpg

It sagit of a crutch:
It is hung on, on low tide along the boat and allows to go on board for repair

There are places along the Normandy coast where when the tide goes out, the boats lay on the mud flats; similar to the tides in the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia. Makes sense to include a boarding ladder. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Another updateFirst challenge was interpreting the pictorial instructions :huh:

The very clear :( instructions for the capstan:

post-13502-0-76757200-1453158755_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-20805700-1453158758_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-33855000-1453158754_thumb.jpg

Then sorting out the parts and assembling them.  The parts list called for a 1 mm diameter brass wire 150 mm in length to be used as the hand crank - searching thru the kit all the brass wire was 100.xx mm in length, none was 150 mm. The two end pulley drums each had a nipple on one end - okay one fit into the gear but the large center drum did not have any holes drilled into it , hmmmmm????

After some fiddling we finally got it together.  Don't like the bends in the crank handle but it had to be bent installed because it would never snake its way thru the assembled pieces pre-bent. Must get myself a better set of bending pliers.

Parts laid out for identification - note the small pulley in the upper right corner between the gear and the brass wire, never could identify it - the hole bored thru it was too small for the wire specified and I could not located it in the step 17 photo.

post-13502-0-73675800-1453159170_thumb.jpg

post-13502-0-96768400-1453159172_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-90288700-1453159171_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-24174800-1453159174_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-59839700-1453159175_thumb.jpg

Turning the bowsprit was interesting. Some time ago one of my woodcarving club members gave me a old Dremel lathe (free - he'd gotten it free also) so I decided to try tapering the bowsprit on the Dremel. WRONG !  First the bed barely took the length of the dowel I had cut for the bowsprit and then as soon as I applied the least pressure with a sanding stick the Dremel stopped turning the dowel. So we went to Plan B, which was get out the Lee Valley Veritas low angle miniature hand plane and slowly plane the dowel into a taper.  Worked fine ! Slow ! But fine !

Bow on shot of the current status.

post-13502-0-50228900-1453159169_thumb.jpg

Back to the "picture book" for the next step in the construction :P Stay tuned ! :D

Jack, a WAG: maybe the ship's bell? Is there any flare on the narrower end? It's kind of bell shaped, maybe? I stared at the picture for 5 minutes, trying to figure it out. :rolleyes:  Assuming a fishing boat has a ship's bell. ;) 

The windlass/capstan handles look like the chain pump cranks on many warships. Look good. :) :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

All things considered after looking at the - cough cough - highly detailed instructions  :rolleyes:  :P , I'd say your doing very well Jack!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Don't think it is a ship's bell, Ken. The hole goes all the way thru and it appears to be shaped like a capstan the one side is flush the other side has a cone shaped recess. Some close up pictures. It measures 5 mm long by 4 to 5 mm in diameter.

post-13502-0-14173400-1453162403_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-21278500-1453162404_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-48280500-1453162405_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add a close up of the chain roller in the bow (another fun :( sub-project) - there was no information on how big or small to make the cut out in the bow wall. Had to dry assemble the piece and get measurements off it then transfer to bow, drill a series of small holes to form a rectangle, cut out with small saw (#11 saw blade), then file, file, file, file until it all fit.

post-13502-0-95398400-1453162401_thumb.jpg

Some touch up of the paint job will be necessary. :rolleyes:

I probably should step back a moment and clarify my remarks about the instructions. First let me say that this kit is fantastic and right up to the standards I've come to expect from AL. The wood is excellent, the brass parts are excellent, well machined, etc, The sails, which I have not shown, are excellent, all sewn with a bolt rope around all edges, seams sewn into the sail in prototypical fashion. The model is very attractive. There is no shortage of wood, or brass or nails (I'm inundated with little nails), rope for the rigging, blocks, etc. In fact I will probably have some left-over stock to add to my stash.

The gripe I have is with these [what I will call] picture book instructions which show the step from a poor angle, with poor detail, and little to guide you other that a numbered balloon with a line point to a part. Even the parts lists does not accurately describe the dimensions of the part.  The least they could do is show 2 angles [view points] for some of the more complex assemblies, like the capstan as an example.

I would recommend the kit to anyone but just be aware that you may have to wing it with some of the assembly steps. Except for the frustration with the poor pictures I am enjoying this build a great deal.

The paper plans  are 1:1 so yes I have been using them to pull measurements, But they don't show all the views I would like. They're on two sheets of paper printed on both sides - a good portion is waste by the parts list printed in English, French and German. Then another part is wasted with complete layout of each sail - as if you were going to cut them out and sew them yourself, except they're in the kit.  The top down deck view is pretty good for measurements, the side view is only the port side - no starboard view (which is not a mirror image of port)  There's a whole section 1:1 for the masts, spars etc.

The first picture of the capstan is a partial view of the top down deck plan view 1:1.

Edited by Jack12477

One correction - the parts list is in 4 languages - Spanish being the fourth.

George, here's a couple of pictures of the overall plans.

post-13502-0-47953800-1453165282_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-05230200-1453165284_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-97960000-1453165280_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-44427400-1453165285_thumb.jpg

These are the profiles I was meaning. There's one sheet with nothing but the keel and bulkheads, and another with nothing but framing, all shown separately along with these 2, a deck plan, separate plans for the lifeboats, a complete rigging layout and belaying plan in 2 more sheets. 8 sheets in total for this ship.

post-12186-0-58773800-1453166748_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-59924000-1453166757_thumb.jpg

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

No nothing like that at all George. After thinking about it, I would say it would be a bit difficult to scratch build from these plans.

if you want to scratch this ship you must buy the monographie fro l'AAMM: association des amis du musée de la marine:

http://www.aamm.fr/boutique/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=235

the price is 23 euros and you could have it in english

chem0018.jpg