Garboard plank on Occre model

Just coming to the final planking of the San Martin (first layer). Advice much welcomed. I've planked the upper hull, which I'am happy with but I want to plank the lower hull realistically to practice for the second layer. From my understanding the garboard plank will need to bend through 90 degrees from lying on the bulkheads to resting against the false keel. The timber supplied is 2x 5mm and appears too thick to bend after a day's soaking. The Occre instructions skim over the planking and all the first planking is of the same size and the instructions would not result in a realistically planked hull with tapered planks. Not sure how to approach this. You can see my build log on the forum. The ships going to be a bit of a bruiser.

post-22296-0-63649100-1460324770_thumb.jpeg

post-22296-0-26904500-1460370976_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

You'll probably need more than soaking...  you'll need heat also.   There's a lot of different ways to do it.  I soak for about 30 minutes and that use an old curling iron set a max temperature.  Others use a bender that heated like a soldering iron.   It will probably take a couple of times to finally attain the twist that you need so be patient.   When you heat it, put in the twist and hold it until it cools.  Repeat as needed.  

I hope this helps.   There's other ways of doing it but the soak and curling iron work for me.  Once others have offered advice, try one or many until you find the one that works for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a go. Will have to wait until the Admiral is out before using the heated hair tongs.

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Hmm... that's asking for trouble.   :D  :D  :D   To keep on the Admiral's good side, go buy her a new one and then offer to take her old one off her hands.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For what its worth I have had good luck using different sized cans clamped to the desk. with a candle or sterno inside gets super hot.

after soaking twist the plank to the rotation of the can.  You may have to play with it to get the right twist. 

It works quick. caveat will also cause burns if not careful :o

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks to all for the advice. I waited until the Admiral was out of port for a day and got going with the Babyliss heated hair tongs to help bending the 2 x 5mm strips. Quite pleased with the result. Must get my own set.

post-22296-0-12403500-1460816570_thumb.jpeg

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel