Regina by Wintergreen - FINISHED - Billing Boats

Thanks fellows!

The workbench yes, it's an ordinary carpenters workbench. Solid and steady. I get jealous when I see Mark's (sjsoane, building Bellona), he made it himself to suite him, left handed as he is (me too). However that only comes into play when one need to plane boards and so and since I can do almost anything with my right side that I can with my left, the problem is little. Have you ever tried to brush your teeth with the "wrong" hand. Some experience I can say ;)

About the dingy, I am pleased that I'm under way with it. I am not pleased with the outcome, but I will not redo it, just touch it up and hide whatever needs to be hidden. I really want to finish this build now!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

is that a crutch,  I see in one of the pictures?  I hope you are well.

Yea,  obechi can be a bear.  I ususlly like to do the planking while it's wet......it makes it very flexible.   impressions can be done very easily.  the boat looks very good so far......you give new use for wire ties

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Crutch? (you had me thinking there) No, it is one of the legs of the tripod!

I use the tripod for all my indoor photos. I don't like what the flash brings to the colours or depth of focus.

The veneer is about 0,6mm and the obechi is closer to 1mm in thickness. A bit more time (AND patience) and a better plug, the veneer would have done the job beautifully. (Add spiling and all that also of course). With the obechi I taper the planks a bit and then it is brute force and ignorance to get them in place...

I can assure you, the state of the planking is as if the boat had been lying in the sun for a couple seasons. In more than one place it is possible to see through the seams.

Well, off to work now...

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

sorry Hakan.......saw that metal leg......and well,  you know how I imagine things.  I am relieved.  no matter how you do it,  I think you'll end up with a very nice ship's boat.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Okay guys, a bit of a troublesome announcement will be given now...its about the dingy. While I most probably have the skills to pull off such a thing, I don't have the mind for it now, and probably not in the near future either. :(

Or as Bilbo Baggins says in the first LOTR film - "I've put this up for far too long". The psychological resistance was greater than my limited power. No "use the force" here I'm afraid.

So, I've tweaked the mother ship a great deal and she will go on display without here stern boat. (maybe it was stolen recently and the owner have an ongoing dispute with the Insurance company. Or maybe the owner is at the nearest dockside pub while Regina is anchored in the haven...I don't know actually.) Maybe in a distant future I will a the dingy, but not now. In fact, I will try to rip of the planking done so far, and save the backbone for later. My hat is off for you. popeye, that pulled this one off. I didn't.

Here are some picture of the soon to be buried try on this item.

post-6-0-89702000-1413881876_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-45095800-1413881891_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-11790000-1413881897_thumb.jpg

The only good this "dingy" will serve as, is a screaming example of HOW TO NOT PLANK A DINGY!

Gaps between the planks - "Elvin, I've seen the light! The band Elvin, the band!" (from a completely different story...)

Clinker effect - "Stairway to heaven" Eagles is it, right?

Non smooth run of planks. "Brute force and ignorance" works in a lot of cases, not here though.

Not enough stations to rest the planks on, hence the fold at the last station line aft.

And even broken planks...

So, to finish off this for now here is what I will do;

In a day or two I will put Regina up for her "Completed" photo session and publish them under the completed kits section here on MSW.

I will add a note that *maybe* there will be a dingy hanging from the davits in the future, but not now.

And guys, thanks for following along both here and on the old forum! Your support has been greatly appreciated.

"Then what?"

Well, to be perfectly honest - I have not got the faintest idea! ;)

And how is that, you wonder. I'll tell you tomorrow on a different place here...

-=< END >=-  _/)  _/)

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Sorry... "Stairway to Heaven" was Led Zepplin.  I actually like the dinghy. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Håkan.

I´m sure your Regina will display beautifuly even without the dingy. Speaking of which, how do you plan to display her?

Now, I am very curious to learn about your next project! You have kept us in the dark to long.

/Alfons

Current Build: Gloucester Fishing Schooner - Blue Jacket - Scale 1:48

Next Project: Riva Aquamarine - Amati

I'm sorry to hear of your delimma.....actually, the dingy doesn't look bad at all.....perhaps a double planking.  it wouldn't take much sanding to cure the minor clinker effect.....is it the cut of the stern that kills it?  I wouldn't feel bad about it.   I have a lot of stuff in my oops bin.  put it aside.....I'm sure you'll find some use for it later on.   our hats can be off to each other then.......cuz I goofed on 'mother'......you came up with the ship of the kit's intent.....and I must say,  she absolutely beautiful!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A big thank you! For your support, guys.

John - absolutely, I've learned how to not plank a dingy...

Mark - I'm sorry, the dingy is gone. Only the backbone remains for now.

Ron - thank you, yes, I think the next try will be a success.

Alfons - it will go on display with no fuzz. It will sit on the supplied stand in a temporary case that I'll put together.

popeye - the photos are not telling the truth, the hole truth and nothing but the truth...in reality it looks worse...and thanks for the warm words about the "mother"

Robert - yes, it IS so. And yes, I will post a bunch of high res photos in the gallery.

And I assure you, I will give the dingy another try. But not now.

So, the reason for my unwillingness to reveal my possible upcoming project was that I had no clue myself. A choir mate came up to me and said that her father-in-law had left an unfinished ship behind when he went on the journey without end. I agreed to at least give it a look before I turned the opportunity down. I mean, "unfinished" can be a wide variety of things...She arranged for me to visit the mother-in-law.

Today, I went to the house and a lovely old lady came and opened the door. After a few seconds of "WHO are you?" she showed me the way to the old man's workshop in the far en of the basement. It was a bit like a maze in the basement. A lot of space for a lone old dame. Well, "there it is" she said. I usually tell my kids to "expect the unexpected" and this was that kind of moment.

What was presented to me was basically a hull, nothing more. A bit over 100cm or 3'6". It was a plank on bulkhead construction. To be honest, it was really crude. It was one of these adorable father and grandson type of work. The bulkheads were spaced about 5cm apart and from what I could see, square to the centre line. However, the upper line, on which the deck should go, tilted in all directions. It was like being seasick without the need to go to sea... The old lady told me there were a sister ship build before this one. And that was currently at her other sons house if I wanted to have a look of how it should look like. Three masted also. From the lines of the hull I'd guess it was supposed to be a merchant man of the mid 19th century. To add to the story there were no plans..

The old lady thought it is a pity that the "ship" just lays in her basement. I can agree on that. But from that, to actually finish the build (of which there are no plans) and of that immense size, without a home port to go to, I will turn this "opportunity" down.

That was the reason for my silence.

So now I will just sort through the bits and pieces that is left of the Regina build and then go on with my next project (of which it actually exists plans) ;)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Yes, I have.

I'll meet the captain this weekend and I'll ask (if I remember...) if there exist any plans or measurements of her. But with a load of photos and some easy measurements like boom length, all other dimension can be derived from that.

No cannons, limited rigging, almost free from carvings...how hard can it be. Question is scale...about 34m LOA gives ca 53 cm at 1:64. That's manageable I think. Not too small, but small enough.

We'll see...thanks for the reminder ;)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

I can agree on that Hakan......there is a son........he can finish it!  my one memorable moment got me started with this hobby.........I can't thank Harold enough.  I am rather worried about him.....he has been out of work {sick} for well over a month now....he is getting on in age.

I'll look forward in seeing a future build........whatever she be Hakan,   I'm sure to see that it will be another top notch build! :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, know what? I have a display case worthy its name! It took a while to figure it out (how to get the most out of the old windows I had and so..)

And with this I can close this chapter that started ca 1991...and get on with my life as a shipwright :D

You can't image how relieved I feel right now, it feels soooooo good to sit in my favourite armchair and look at the two boats in their decent new home.

post-6-0-08920000-1413882057_thumb.jpg

The case is how we say it "a heavily kit bashed", very old IKEA Ivar storage shelf. The doors are from a wardrobe that we ripped out some 4 yrs ago ;) The wood is actually pine, but stained of course.

Now I'll just add handful of photos to the completed gallery and update my signature.

A big thank you for the company along the way :)

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

nice lookin case Hakan.......the Regina looks sweet in there!   I'll look forward in seeing your next build.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Hakan,

Thanks for reposting your "Regina" build log. Lots to learn from your builds. Think the "Shalom" would be a terrific next build. Can't wait to see'er started.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted in kit build section of forum

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Congratulations on launching her.  Looks really great in her new home.  I'll bet your workbench looks strange now that it's empty.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all!

Yes Mark, it is strangely roomy now...so I took the opportunity to mill some apple...

In a couple of years I'll have more than enough for any future build :D

post-6-0-46334600-1365664148_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

John you are more than Welcome!

It bugs me still that I was in Holland that particular weekend you were here..

About the wood, I have equally much in my garage, dry and ready to use....(so what am I waiting for...I know, I know)

but on the other hand John, you might get problem with customs...need to de-bark it first.. :D

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

I know John, there are shows on the telly about that "Border control Australia" and such :)

No more rabbits or rats, that's for sure, which is a good thing of course.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

it will be debarked.........if milled properly  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: