Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My replacement main mast parts arrived from Model Expo just as I finished up the lower foremast shrouds.  Shaping a square end to a maple dowel is a bit tedious.  I have read that it is better to start with square stock and then round the mast by shaving off the corners. It might be a bit easier to get a taper that way also.  

10A88846-7F0C-4B39-B63B-6F9B6620685E.jpeg

016D45E5-7C5F-4ACC-A6AF-C69841868837.jpeg

Made 2 fairleads for the mainmast.  1/8 by 1/32 basswood.  I coated the needed area with some AC glue to prevent splitting and sanded the arc by wrapping some sandpaper around the mast.  One of them split anyway and had to make a 3rd one.  Also checking out a homemade jig for setting the proper 4 deg rake on the mainmast.

F82D908E-9CAF-4DDD-8965-BE4438EC1EBF.jpeg

5609DB4A-31C7-4DFE-8D80-3069F47901B5.jpeg

Edited by Papa

Using a card to align the battens as i glue them on the shrouds. I will tie them off when they are all on.  Also i installed the bowsprit shrouds and the bobstays.  I leave the lanyards long so that i can tighten them at the end of the build. I don’t know why they are rotated.  

CE1CED77-4F50-4E89-ACCC-C6D18AF07348.jpeg

7D8614D4-B943-451A-B2F2-45A17B4A6835.jpeg

Edited by Papa

4 hours ago, Papa said:

I don’t know why they are rotated.  

I am having the same trouble posting photos. Hopefully, one of the moderators will pick up on the issue. I am not sure who to contact. Your shroud battens are looking good. 👍

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

12 minutes ago, Papa said:

Question for you John.  There are, what i am calling “boat skids” , on the hull where the whale boats are hanging.  Are these painted black like the hull?  Or left natural?

Ron,

I did not place the skids on my version. I they were not indicated on my drawings. However, these photos of other models show them to be black.   

image.thumb.png.fa804f0b88a46adc33860e8c5f960a00.png

image.thumb.png.9493b49b94f3244973e21119bfcb6c6e.png

Hope this helps…

BTW… I just posted these pics by copy and paste instead of “add files”.  It worked without the rotation. 

image.jpeg

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

• 4 weeks later...

John - I am trying to build CWM and I would like to ask about the try works station.  Could you tell me where you got the bricks and could you tell me specifically which bricks you bought? I just today finally received what i ordered and i am not happy with it,  so I want to make sure I have the specific blocks or sheet set you got?  Thanks, JJUSNRET  

• 1 month later...

Current status on my Morgan.  Finished the top mast shrouds. Almost done with topmast back stays.  I am going to have to hire a new rigging crew.  The current crew is a bit lazy.  They install 2 or 3 shrouds and then quit for the day.  You just can’t  get good help these days.

A58ACEDD-3DFF-497E-A412-AD7717074BDE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Papa

That’s not hard to do. There are a million lines. 😜 I actually think that putting those on after the heavier lines for the mast are in place and set. On my last build the back stays loosened up an became slack after all the others lines were set. Had to redo a few of them. 
Tom

Only a million?  I think there are that many ratlines alone 😂.   I don’t tie off the deadeye lanyards until late in the build. It helps take up some slack but it Seems like there are always 1 or 2 lines that hang slack. What we need is a tiny crew to stay on board and keep everything shipshape. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve taken a few weeks break from ship building. Back at it now. Finished the top gallant shrouds and ratlines and added the lookout hoops.  I had some brass hoops from another project that looked about the right size. I lashed them to the mast and used some superglue.  I sure wouldn’t want to spend anytime up there!

D0F35EF8-2F47-4D3A-9529-898D1BBF852C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Papa said:

The fore mast is now rigged up to the royal. The flowers on the table in the background are for our 56th wedding anniversary last Saturday. 

F56E4011-9EFA-4139-8C3E-62D05A629A28.jpeg

Congratulations on both the rigging and your anniversary!

Tom