Viking Drakkar by Ryzuhr - Amati - 1:50 Scale - First build

Hello MSW!

After perusing build logs for the past week, I have finally sat down to work on my own kit. A little back story for me. My great uncle recently passed and had spent many years building ships. When last I visited him in Chicago, he had at least 5 ships on display. I had spent the majority of my family's visit there talking about modeling and found my interest in the hobby. Before we left, he had given me a box to kickstart my toolbox. For my birthday that same year, my mother bought me the Amati Drakkar kit to encourage me to pursue it. 

Well, after almost a year of sitting in my closet out of fear for lack of space and time, I have no opened up that kit and got to work. I appreciate the advice a lot of you have given me and the build logs that are available. I have learned a lot and hope to apply at least some of that knowledge to this kit and all going forward.

To start things off, I read through the parts list and skimmed the entirety of the instructions. Then I cut out of the keel and frames, dry fitted to see how much adjustment would need to be made during gluing, and got to gluing. I ended up having to shimmy the smaller frames on the bow and stern because I didn't realize the clamps had held them at an angle. They were square horizontally with the keel, but not vertically. Luckily I caught it before the glue set too much and I could get them off without any damage. I re-glued them and made sure they were held straight and let them sit.

20180523_203901.jpg

20180523_214611.jpg

20180523_221031.jpg

20180523_224620.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Current: Amati Viking Drakkar

Next up will be the strakes. I'm trying to take the repeated advice of "Take your time, don't try to rush to the end. Enjoy the entirety of the process." so I stopped at the keel and frames last night. Which I suppose is good so I can let the glue set for the 24 hours to make sure they're as secure as can be.

In Amfibius's Drakkar build, he stained the hull before starting deck planking and I really loved that light on dark look. I'm not sure what stain he used, but would anyone be able to give me some suggestions?

Edited by Ryzuhr

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Andrew,

Very nice start.

This one is under my table up next. After binging on The Vikings" all 4 seasons - I became so motivated to build a long boat.

I had originally bought the Billings Oseberg (will stay under my table) It is a monster more than 36" long - did not pay attention to the scale details.

Your kit is the perfect size. Yes Amfibius' build log is excellent indeed.

Good luck - I will grab a chair and follow along

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Such a cool kit! Looking forward to how it turns out.

It might be just my impression, but it think you need some extra lighting in that workshop ;-)

Good luck!

Edited by Peter Y.

md1400cs - haha I just picked up the show again to finish season 5! I had introduced my mom to the show and so she got me this kit =D

Peter Y. - You would be correct! Currently my wife and I are in a one bedroom apartment so my "workshop" is our dining table. I only had the overhead lights on for those pictures and hadn't realized how dark it was outside. 

MESSIS - I'm really enjoying it so far! I've enjoyed modeling in the past, but have never taken on something this detailed. I just hope it turns out well for my first build. 

Welcome aboard, all! Thank you for following along and the kind comments!

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Here is my progress so far. I spent some of the day working on the strakes. I had forgotten to sand a taper on the ends of the first 2, so it created some small gaps near the stern. I sanded the next 2 so I hope it won't affect their placement later on. 

20180525_234309.thumb.jpg.faa732eb7414b6856b2272a44857f22d.jpg20180526_161359.thumb.jpg.fc6d0ae036f1b9cd84567006274672fa.jpg20180526_221026.thumb.jpg.da696ed541b482073af4059909f808c2.jpg20180526_221102.thumb.jpg.c913cedffa17ff1896dfe62a18b73f3a.jpg20180526_221116.thumb.jpg.92f521cf0207ec794c09bfbc1ba4535d.jpg

Edited by Ryzuhr

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Slowly making progress on the strakes. I still have 5 sets of strakes left to attach. 

Once those are done, I need to drill holes and figure out what finish I want to put on the hull. I've seen a lot of people use tung oil or teek oil. I'm not familiar with wood finishes, so I don't know what a good option would be. I'll probably use a natural finish on the deck planking. My goal is to have the hull a darker color than the deck.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

I let the hull planks with just a natural colorlesd varnish. But I gave a slighly darker tone to the kielon all its length. Same tone I gave also to the deck plankd. I liked it. But its a matter of personal taste.

gallery_25650_1626_127186.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

1 hour ago, MESSIS said:

I let the hull planks with just a natural colorlesd varnish. But I gave a slighly darker tone to the kielon all its length. Same tone I gave also to the deck plankd.

Ohhhh I like that. How did you get the color on the keel without affecting the rest of the hull?

Something I'm concerned about is leftover glue. Is it as easy as sanding/scraping off any excess glue before putting the varnish on?

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

no worries. Just patience and use a stain of your choice. After you sand off any glue leftovers with a thin pinsel or small cloth apply carefully the stain. For extra protection, you can even mask the nearby planks with a mask liquit. There is a good one .from revell

HUMAC5217.jpg

31WF3cHrj1L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

7 hours ago, MESSIS said:

no worries. Just patience and use a stain of your choice. After you sand off any glue leftovers with a thin pinsel or small cloth apply carefully the stain. For extra protection, you can even mask the nearby planks with a mask liquit. There is a good one .from revell

Awesome, thank you! That is very helpful, I appreciate the tips!

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2018 at 3:15 PM, Ryzuhr said:

Hello MSW!

After perusing build logs for the past week, I have finally sat down to work on my own kit. A little back story for me. My great uncle recently passed and had spent many years building ships. When last I visited him in Chicago, he had at least 5 ships on display. I had spent the majority of my family's visit there talking about modeling and found my interest in the hobby. Before we left, he had given me a box to kickstart my toolbox. For my birthday that same year, my mother bought me the Amati Drakkar kit to encourage me to pursue it. 

Well, after almost a year of sitting in my closet out of fear for lack of space and time, I have no opened up that kit and got to work. I appreciate the advice a lot of you have given me and the build logs that are available. I have learned a lot and hope to apply at least some of that knowledge to this kit and all going forward.

To start things off, I read through the parts list and skimmed the entirety of the instructions. Then I cut out of the keel and frames, dry fitted to see how much adjustment would need to be made during gluing, and got to gluing. I ended up having to shimmy the smaller frames on the bow and stern because I didn't realize the clamps had held them at an angle. They were square horizontally with the keel, but not vertically. Luckily I caught it before the glue set too much and I could get them off without any damage. I re-glued them and made sure they were held straight and let them sit.

20180523_203901.jpg

20180523_214611.jpg

20180523_221031.jpg

20180523_224620.jpg

Welcome to the family.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And that's the reason I'm not doing a build log of my first build. It puts a lot of pressure on you to post 'regularly' and so far I've taken 5 months to build half the hull of Roar Ege. Seriously, who wants to read about that.

For those of us first timers this is usually a labour of love, but also one which can take a long time due to 'stuff' causing a slow down of progress.

I really admire those who have the time to put in regular hours but for many people work, family, not being able to have a dedicated workshop, all slow the building progress and the build log tends to be the first to go.

Just my two cents worth but as Ryzuhr and I are both building similar models I fully understand the delays, and I have far fewer excuses for not showing greater progress. 😊

• 3 weeks later...

This is an old  thread but figured I would throw my two cents in also . I have this kit also and am  currently reading all I can about it before I start. this will be my first ever build so I’m a bit  nervous to say the least. And yes John, I agree with you 100%. No way I am going to start a build log for the same  reasons. must be nice to be  retired and have all the time in the world to devote to model ship building . As for the rest of us working stiffs we have to work at it when we can  which is not very often when life gets in the way . I am  grateful for the little bit that  Ryzuhr has posted , even if he never posts again.