HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Good morning, Wacko and many thanks for checking in to my log.  I assume the man you met and are referring to is Bob from Ship Ahoy Models.  My business experience with him was excellent.  He shipped the serving machine to me before my check to him arrived.  it was a pleasure to make the transaction; I highly recommend him; have a great day...

Jerry

lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good morning, Kevin,,Thank you very much for coming by my log and for your very nice compliment.  I appreciate hearing from you; it's been some time.  Hope you are doing well.  Regards,

Jerry

Hello everyone...I suppose everyone at some time has computer problems and I'm no exception.  We had a slight power surge a few days ago and for some reason I couldn't turn my computer back on.  All other appliances and electronic stuff, including my printer came right back but no luck getting the computer to turn back on.  If I had half a brain I would have figured it out but it took the computer repair person and some money to get it going again.  I have a battery back up/ surge protector and apparently the surge protector,  doing its thing,  tripped off and I just wasn't smart enough to think about that since all other past  power burps never caused the darn thing to trip before.  So my computer came back from the shop today and after wiring it all in, when I turned it on the battery back up/surge protector started to whistle a very high pitch sound.  I remember reading the old directions which said that when this happens the battery needs to be replaced.  So after purchasing a new battery backup/surge protector and installing it..... lo and behold, all is well again in Jerry's drydock. 

The following pictures represent the work I have been doing on Victory the past few days.  I have completed all the catharpins, having served them all,  and all the futtock shrouds.  The shroud cleats have been lashed on and painted and tying the rat lines has begun.  The rat line job is about the slowest of any so far and I have almost completed all the starboard foremast shrouds.  As David (Shipyard Sid) would say, "It's back to sleep and to dreaming of clove hitch knots jumping over a fence." 

I hope everyone is well.

Jerry

post-545-0-24774200-1395111660_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-39844100-1395111684_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-36290800-1395111708_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68577200-1395111726_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-77985600-1395111750_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-45458900-1395111777_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-29502100-1395111793_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-63671300-1395111808_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-36418100-1395111846_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68407200-1395111870_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence. 

I appreciate your visit to my log and especially your favorable comments.  Specifically, to answer your question, if you look closely you will seee that the cleats have been painted black.  So, it's back to the clove hitch knots today and to try and make a little more progress which I'll talk to you about a little later.  Have a very nice day, without snow, I hope.

Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Excellent work again on your shrouds and cleats and you are really buzzing along on those ratlines, mine will need a good tidy up after all the rigging and other remedial work. You have also done a good job on the serving, which I had never heard of before. I have ordered some gear cogs from CMB and will make a serving m/c as there is nothing much to them. I started making the driver gaff thing last night and then it's back to the front again. Anyway keep up the excellent work. OK away you go on those ratlines, Knit one pearl one...... DAVID

Hello David..  These damn rat lines are driving me crazy.  I can't remember how many I have cut out and started over.  I had hoped to keep them taught but no matter how hard I try I get slack in them.  I have, however, noticed that the real ships all have slack in their rat lines so i guess I'll keep what i get and keep going.  Many thanks for your complmetary words and I wish you the best with manufacturing your own serving machine.  Lawrence has made a beautiful serving machine, so if necessary, and if you have any questions, check with him.  I hate rat lines...

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello everyone...

Just a little bit more progress to report today as it's the weekend but I'm still hanging in.  It's ratlines and ratlines or hundreds of clove hitch knots but we're getting there.  The foremast ratlines are completed and the port side of the lower main mast is done.  Futtock shrouds need to be worked as well as the main top mast.  Please place your mousepoint on the photo to see the caption....Many thanks..And onward.........

Jerry

post-545-0-39226500-1395509389_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-81913000-1395509423_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-96020600-1395509446_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-64906100-1395509460_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-93010400-1395763934_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16114100-1395763946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Enjoy the ratlines, its repetitive work, but satisfying when you see the end results.

I'm off to visit the HMS Trincomalee tomorrow which is the oldest British warship still afloat; the last fully commissioned sailing frigate of the Nelsonian era.

Glenn (UK)

Hi Glenn...Enjoy your visit tomorrow...Is there a kit available of Trincomalee?  And thanks for your visit to my log.

Jerry

Oops...I found out that Admiralty makes a kit of Trincomalee.  Looks interesting.

Edited by Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.  I'm happy to say that I have finally completed the rat lines.  I'm really excited to get this far but truthfully, I can go to sleep tonight and I won't be counting clove hitch knots any longer.  I do have some catch up work to do before i start installing the bowsprit which will be next.  I'd like to attach the netting to the platform railing so they won't be too difficult to do later on.  I broke off both boomkins during this phase of construction so they'll go back on after I install the bowsprit and its lashings down through the bows.  So that's where i am at this point but it has been fun.  Take care,

Jerry

post-545-0-88761200-1396218600_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry

Well there you go another phase completed, and a cracking job at that. Yep you've really done well, and in a no time at all. So it's on to fitting the bowsprit next and the stays. Leave the boomkins off , and fit them when you need to. Well done again , you can start counting sheep again... DAVID

Good morning, Glenn..

Thanks for looking in to my log.  I probably spaced my rat lines a little more than others since I counted 2444 clove hitch knots and I now others had more.  But who cares since I'm finished with that phase and I'm off to other things.  Please stay in touch, keep doing well with your Destiny,  and have a great day.  Uh, oh!  Did I say Destiny?  What a slip!  I owned a real yacht named Destiny and somehow that got into my mind.  Sorry about that, Glenn, I meant your Victory.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello David..

I will stay away from the boomkins until I absolutely need them in the rigging.  I probably broke or cracked them 6 or 8 times before I became disgusted and removed them.  Thank you very much for your compliment and for checking in.  It's been easy to also break gun ports lids off when working on other things.  I think I reglued at least 6 lids too.  Your ship is looking so good and I know I'll contiue to need your log for reference.  Thanks for all the pics.  Hope your day is going well.

Jerry

Jerry that last profile photo does your work justice, she looks like a warship now, good look with the rest of the work, i am still around, watching every one proceeding forwards - it's  a shame that i continue going in reverse

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Kevin.

I've been wondering about you; you seem to appear and disappear.  It's nice to hear from you and very nice of course, to have your compliment.  What's going on with the Bismark?  Are you really going backwards?  I checked your site but for some reason I couldn't open your photos.  I will try again.  I was signed in but ran into a stone wall.  

I'm working on the bowsprit now.  Trying to apply the gammoning thread and then, if successful, will go onto the many blocks and deadeyes attached to the main bowsprit.  I hope you have a wonderful day.  Best regards,

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.. Thank you so much for your greetings and complimentary words.  I hope you have a nice day too and hope to see you later with news about the gammoning, etc..

Jerry

Good morning everyone.  The latest progress in the drydock has been very gratifying.  First of all, I have completed placing the netting on the three platform railimg.  Then, attaching all the bowsprit "wood" finally gives the ship its sense of size.  It also makes one very aware as to how easy it is to do damage.  Besides breaking off one of the boomkins, I have already knocked off the end of the bowsprit which, fortunately,  was very easy to reattach. I now handle this Victory with tender hooks. The mizzen stay, the first of about 12 stays, is now an integral part of this model and I really enjoyed seeing it shipped.  After serving the end of the stay that fits around the mast , an eye (loop) was constructed (served) at its static end and a mouse was made (with the use of the serving machine) to act as the stop at the eye.  The running end was threaded through an eyelet at the lower end of the main mast and finally secured in an eyelet placed in the deck at the port side of the main mast.  I hope the photos will help to understand this process.  I'm looking forward to making the rest of the stays as I believe, after a full day of studying the plans, Longridge and the manual,  I'm on the right track  .I hope everyone has a beautiful day...

Jerry

post-545-0-52452700-1396523889_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-85528400-1396523910_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-54757900-1396523930_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-73857200-1396523945_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55359300-1396523968_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-14650400-1396523990_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-31704100-1396524011_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-95710500-1396524020_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-61592200-1396524033_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-45053200-1396524051_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Glenn...I appreciate your look-see and thanks for your kind words. I look forward to your progress as well.  Take good care,

Jerry

Thanks

I will be able to spend a bit of time tonight working on the gun port linings and inner bulwark linings and will post some pictures of progress.

I then have to return the build area back to a bedroom as my youngest son is coming home tomorrow so will have very limited time over the few days to make any further progress.

Glenn (UK)

Glenn...I'm sure you'll agree, family comes first  (although my Victory is getting to feel like a son to me...LOL)_

Jerry

Thanks, lawrence...You're time is getting close for all the xmas tree ornaments.  But you're right, that's what the bowsprit looks like.  talk to you later.

Jerry

A bit more from the dry dock.....Since the main stay and the preventer stay are now rigged the next chore will be the snaking of the two together.  The kit recommends a marling knot or an overhand knot to zig-zags the thread.  I though that I might try and use a needle and stitch this zig-zag  and when i tried it. it looked terrible so I pulled the thread out bent on using the knot method.  This will come during the next session.  My one concern is how do you keep the spread between the two stays and build taught zig-zag lines?  Also, with such lttle space between the two stays how will it look?  Well, boys and girls, we'll find out tomorrow.  Have a nice evening everyone..........Jerry

post-545-0-64617800-1396905183_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60659700-1396905203_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-81600500-1396905212_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Glenn. 

Baited breath is OK.....as long as you don't hold it waiting for the next chapter  (installment)...  I appreciate your visit and comments  and hope I have been some help..

Jerry