HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

David...

Thanks so much for your compliment.  I can't send PM or receive them because I'm over the limit until I delete some.  So, if possible, and you know how, please advise on this log  how to delete the buggers.

Thanks,

Jerry

Good evening, Lawrence...

You are too nice.  Your complimentary words made me feel very pumped up and I sincerely thank you for telling them to me.  I am excited to have gotten this far but everytime I visit David's log I get very nervous, especially about making the masts and yards.  I still don't know how I'm going to turn them but I am looking around for a suitable mini lathe. 

I'm glad that you are finally winding down your yard work and can get back into your shop.  Let's hope the snow gods take it easy on you guys up there.  From reading your post in David's log about the piece of black walnut you found, I couldn't help to pass this story on to you.  When I first moved to Arkansas (where I lived before living here in Florida) I bought a piece of land to buld our house on.  It was very nice and had several acres of woods.  One day exploring these woods I came across two fallen black walnut trees.  They must have come down the previous spring.  Evenyually I was able to salvage two very mice pieces.  One was about 16 feet long with a 15 inch diameter and the other, also very straight, was 12 feet long and had a 18 inch diameter.  I managed to trail them over to one of the local saw mills and for only $15 they sliced up the trunks into beautiful 5/4 planks.  I built a drying/storage rack in my shop and two years later built a dining room table.  Unfortunately this marriage didn't last and all that beautiful walnut was auctioned along with most of my other belongings.  But all isn't terrible...I have been very happily remarried now for 17 years to a beautiful woman who convinced me to buy the Victory kit.  Have a terrific night, Lawrence. 

Your friend,

Jerry

It's bedtime here but I couldn't help getting this into my log before I went to sleep.  There's nothing exciting here or worse, nothing drastic.  Today was a day to begin catching up on details that I skipped before plodding along further  (the rudder.)  So I painted the bow figureheads and fitted them into position.  It wasn't as easy as I had hoped because the two cherubs had to be mounted partially on some of the bow trim since they didn't fit between the trim.  It may not be authentic but it looks okay to me.  Good night, sweet dreams,

Jerry

post-545-0-38191800-1386305457_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-18279100-1386305474_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92540100-1386305489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Lawrence.. I'm happy to see you finally coming out of the cold.  I was watching football games over the weekend and I couldn't believe the conditions some of the games were played in.  In Philadelphia I could hardly see the playing field with the snow coming down as hard as it was.  So it'll be back to the shipyard for you to get some addional work done on your beautiful model.  I'm sure you are very anxious to get going again and that's great. I have finally finished the rudder and have mounted it to the ship.  I also have attached the chains as instructed in the manual.  I did the one loop method eventhough some have preferred two loops in the chain.  David suggested that I atteach a fish hook and some bait to the chain so that one could troll as the ship moves through the water since the chain hangs below the water line.  Have a terrific day and in the meantime here are some of my latest photos.  Jerry

post-545-0-72301400-1386683184_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-10438200-1386683206_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-38166200-1386683228_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-59270600-1386683257_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-96211300-1386683278_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-14261000-1386683307_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-10276900-1386683335_thumb.jpg

Hey Lawrence...I thought about your suggestion regarding raising the chain when I was building it.  I noticed that Gil and david tied their's up to a two loop look but I decided not to do that.  As you say, I figured that I could always add an eyelet in between and do it at another time but if my memory is correct, the real ship has the chain the way i did it.  Check your personal messages..

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I've been watching your log and thought it was about time to tell you what a great job you are doing.  :10_1_10:  Not only is the ship looking fine but you are also quite creative with your jigs and fixtures. 

I particularly like the turntable you have as a part of your work platform; allowing you to swivel the vessel.  That is now in my notes for use on my next  ship

model project! :)

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Good morning, Jim...

I appreciate your visit to my log and thank you very much for your very kind words.  As much as I'd like to take credit for the jigs, I really can't since I saw them being used by others on this site.  At my age my memory isn't too good anymore but I can remember the latest jig's originator.  To position the hinges and get them onto the gunport lids, I copied Shipyard Sid's  (David) idea.  I can assure you that before I get through I will have pirated all other ideas available.  I hope you have a nice day and enjoy the lovely wetaher we are having here in Florida.

Jerry

Good morning everyone.

I have some pictures showing where I am at this morning.  I have installed the hammock cranes and am getting ready to rig them and to attach the netting.  I will be leaving the shipyard for several days next week so my progress will be taking a temporary braking.  I believe with the way things are going I'll be able to begin masting soon after the first of the year.  I hope evryone haas a wonderful weekend,  Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-65377800-1387036300_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16105500-1387036327_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-46536700-1387036575_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-41875100-1387036597_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-41825200-1387036612_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-88909300-1387036628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks for the look-see, Wacko...I meant to tell you that i enjoyed reading about your milling machine and it looks like it would be a useful tool to own.  I need to find something to help me turn the masts and yards as I am getting very close to that phase of the build.  Have a great weekend,

Jerry

Greeting Jerry

Thanks for your comments. This is very slow but enjoyable as I have said before. I have been pretty lucky with very little damage to the rigging and only a couple of threads to reattach. I may complete the other two fore masts before next weekend when the build stops for the Xmas period. You will need to be very careful not to damage your hammock cranes and gunport lids as you start to fit your masts etc. My hammock cranes are a mess and will left till the end. Keep up the good work , you are catching me up. DAVID

Good afternoon, David..

Nice to hear from you.  I know what you mean about the fragility of the model.  I have already broken off a couple of gun port lids and the hammock cranes look like grapnel hooks waiting to snag a sleeve or something else.  I have decided to change my work table to a lower one  ( a folding card table) where I can work from a higher perspective and watch out for snagging something.  I plan to keep the model on my turntable hoping it'll make life easier.  I love your Victory..it looks so darn good.  Keep up the good work..By the way, I have no intentions to catch up with you.  I need you to stay in front so I can keep copying you. 

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Keep up the good work. I wish I could spend more time with my build but I still have  a full time job so I am limited to 2 or 3 hours in the evening and some time at the weekends. l see your gun deck planking used the 4 step shift pattern. What length do you make each full plank as I'm going to experiment over the next few days with some planking ideas using some left over wood from my last build to make sure I get a good finish on this build. Did you add any weathering effects and / or caulking effects?

Glenn (UK)

Hello again Glennard.

Thanks for your comments. The four butt shift system is pretty easy once you get started. I cut all my strips into 85mm lengths, a couple of strips at a time, plus a few pieces 34mm long. I will try to show you how it works by PM later. I used no caulking or weathering effects. I simply laid the planks side by side just touching and not tight together. And a couple of coats of Matt varnish on the deck. I will catch you later. Good luck DAVID

Hi Glennard..

Thank you very much for visiting my log; it's nice to see you again. 

As David mentioned above, I used the four butt shift system also; however, I arbitrarily cut my planks to 80mm lengths.   85mm is more accurate as it equates to 20 foot long planks on a 1:72 scale.  I used a black marker pen along one edge and one end to simulate caulking.  I also weathered the deck merely by wiping a rag over the deck which slightly smudged the freshly applied black caulking enough to get the desired effect which I locked in with several coats of matte varnish.  I hope this helps.  Best regards,

Jerry

Many thanks for your help and advise. I did trial a couple of 4 shift test pieces tonight, one using a HB pencil to edge and one using 0.25 black thread. I much preferred the HB pencil as it was more understated. I will experiment with weathering effects.

I wish I had found this forum much sooner as there is such a good wealth of knowledge from the members and everyone seems happy to share their tricks and tips.

Glenn (UK)

Glennard..

You are very welcome...Don't forget to darken the end of the plank as well as the edge.  And remember to darken only one edge and one end of each strip.  I love this site and whenever you have a question don't hesitate to ask.  I have had more help form builders here than i can magine,  have a good night.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone..

Not much to report as we just returned from our short cruise to the Grand Turks.  The weather was wonderful especially if you like an air conditioned ship.  We left Ft. Lauderdale Wednesday and spent one hour on the island on Friday.  We returned last night (Sunday) so we had a very long boat ride with good eating.  Now to my victory....I started to attach the hammock netting and found it to be no easy task. The best way for me, I discovered, was to lash one side of the toule (the netting) to one rail, seat the fabric into the hammock with a stick and then attach the other side.  Since I used black thread for the lashing I decided to paint the natural colored railings of the hammock black also.  Although I'm not tickled  fancy with this job, I am happy that I only have seven more hammocks to go.  I wish all my good friends on this site a very Merry Christmas and a healthy Happy New Year,

Jerry

post-545-0-27854300-1387839111_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-29594400-1387839154_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20093900-1387839185_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68541600-1387839211_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-98570700-1387839235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Lawrence... Thank you so much for your complimentary words and your holiday greetings.  I wish the same to you and to your family.  My wife's family comes to our home every Christmas Eve and tonight is no exception.  Except, I'm under the weather with a cold and cough so I'll have to stay away from the others. Even as I write this to you I feel miserable and can't wait to lie down again.  Looks like there'll be no ship building for a few days as I need to concentrate fighting this cold.  I believe I got it on the cruise; the ship was unusally cold and I couldn't warm up enough. So I hope to be better in a few days and then back to hammocks, railings and anchors.  Take good care..

Jerry

Hello Jerry

Well that hammock netting looks good, be careful not to knock it about during the rigging. I am definitely going to fit it on mine, but will do them nearer to the end when it will be a bit safer, as things are getting bashed about as you well know. Keep up your excellent work. DAVID.

Hey Lawrence. 

Thanks so much for your note this morning and your much appreciated comments about the hammock netting.  I'm very sorry to hear that Burnadette has come down with a cold.  I hope she gets better quickly.  I'm still coughing quite a bit but not confined to bed.  I was able to get some more work done on the hammocks and hopefully will complete that phase in a couple of days. I won't be finished with the hull at that time as there are still some stair railings to complete and of course, the anchor to do. 

Now to your question:

I used regular black toule for the hammock netting.  I lashed it to the natural thread railings with doubled black strong sewing thread.  The toule was purchased in a fabric store and is very inexpensive.  I bought the minimum one can buy, an eigth of a linear yard for the total price of 38 cents.  I will have fabric left over when I finish this stage.  And when finished with attaching the toule (netting)  I painted the thread railiiing black....

.  As to how I do it:  There is no need to dampen or wet the toule, just use it as it comes.   Cut a piece to the proper length and that is approximately wide enough to form the two sides and the bottom of the hammock . Use alligator clips to hold the toule to the outside uprights of the hammock cranes and then lash (stich) the fabric to the rail..  Then gently push the toule into the cranes to form the hammock.  I use a stick the length of the hammock to hold the material down and in form once it's in place and then repeat the process for the remaining rail.  Trim any excess material when you are through.  If you like I can skype you as I begin the next hammock which will be tomorrow morning.  I can explain this process to you as you are able to see it.  Let me know.  I hope this has been helpful and hasn't confused you.  Best,

Jerry

Good evening, David...

Thank you so much for your thoughts regarding the hammocks.  I was wondering when you were going to do yours.  I'll be careful but I figured the cranes were already in place and putting in the netting wouldn't make it too much more hazardous.  Today is a break day for me and then back to work tomorrow.  Take care  and again, Happy New Year,

Jerry

Hi Lawwrence..

I'm working on the boat now, doing some more hammock netting.  I've taken a few more pictures of the process which I'll post later today.  I'll be around all day except to run an errand later so if you want to skype me that would be fine.  Nice to hear that you are making some additional progress.  Say hi to the Admiral..

Jerry

Hello Everyone.. I have had a couple requests as to how I attached the hammock netting to the railings and cranes.  I hope the following will be of help and if not, please let me know if you need additional information.

I started by cutting a piece of netting (toule..found in most fabric stores) to approximate size which i trimmed to actual size once it was clipped in place.  post-545-0-27505400-1388425467_thumb.jpg

I use double black sewing thread and needle to lash the material to the thread or wooden railings.   post-545-0-82718900-1388425537_thumb.jpg 

I begin working (sewing..lashing...) from the left.  post-545-0-66502400-1388425608_thumb.jpg    and continue working along the railing   post-545-0-64109500-1388425696_thumb.jpg

When lashing is completed, A drop of CV cement is used to secure the lashing in place   post-545-0-59057000-1388425767_thumb.jpg

The excess thread is cut off  post-545-0-91075400-1388425857_thumb.jpg 

Next the netting is stuffed in between the hammock cranes and formed with a stick placed between the crane uprights. post-545-0-25430900-1388426045_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-59057000-1388425767_thumb.jpg

Repeat lashing the material to the inboard rail and paint the outboard rail black  post-545-0-30650400-1388426327_thumb.jpg

I painted all the railings that were made with natural thread black. 

This should do it.

Happy New Yera everyone..  Best to all...

Jerry

post-545-0-27505400-1388425467_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-82718900-1388425537_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-66502400-1388425608_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-64109500-1388425696_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-59057000-1388425767_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-91075400-1388425857_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-58575600-1388425925_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-25430900-1388426045_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-30650400-1388426327_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hey Jerry. Very nice build you have going here.i have got pictures of my victory posted in the gallery. I see we both have used a similar planking technique that shows the individual planks even though it is painted. I still have a couple of things to finish on my model- the quarter davits. the flags and the ships launch. I will be posting pics of the finishing build soon. But you can look at her in the gallery. I will follow with interest your progress. Cheers mike

Hello Mike..  Very nice to meet you and thank you so much for visiting my build site.  I certainly appreciate your very kind remarks and and to learn of your photo gallery.  I have taken a quick look at your Victory and am very impressed.  Looks like the 10 years you took to almost  complete it was worth it.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to show the planking without it having to merely look like I was a sloppy builder.  A friend suggested that I use wood filler sparingly, removing some by pin point, to get the effect that I did.  The real ship's planking shows and is not a solid looking hull either.

I am interested to know more about the quarter davits and how you plan to build and locate them.  The plans for this model call for mounting the ship's boats on the skid beams mid ship.  This would be the final straw in hiding all the work located on the upper deck.  Therefore I believe i would like to build davits from which to hang the boats.  If you get a chance, please let em know.  Best you and a very Happy New Year.

Jerry

Hi Lawrence.

Tell Bernadette I enjoy chatting with her too.  I was about to tell you that the lathe bed length is 24 inches but I see you wrote that.  OK,,,Talk to you later.

Jerry

thanks Jerry, nice to meet you too. re the hull planking - I used filler too, Firstly I slightly bevelled the edge of each plank, then when the planking was finished I ran the edge of a needle file between each plank, then applied a watered down waterbased filler, this was eassily cleaned up with a damp cloth. then i re-scored the gap between planks with a tooth pic for a nice clean edge. i will post pics of davits soon

cheers mike