HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Ahoy, David ....I don't have a horizontal lathe nor a vertical one.  I'm using a friend's drill press and it works well. Lawrence plans to use the same thing.  The "pointy things, except for the boomkins, which have been on from the beginning, have been removed.  take care,   Jerry

Looking really  cool Jerry. If you had the upper masts off it would look like the Victory today in Portsmouth... As I build, I don't get the sense of how large the ship will actually be when I'm finished. You have just given me some perspective. It is going to be one large model that we are building. Where is your Victory going to when it is finished Jerry?  I'm not sure where to put mine after I'm done. You've got me thinking...

Rob in Calgary

Jerry - she looks great, i have so much catching up to do, i never realized how far i dropped back in such a short period of time - well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Your masts look fantastic Jerry. Yes I have finished and added the davits, now working on the launch. check out my posts 8-)

Hello Robipod..

Thank you very much for taking time to visit my log.  You are absolutely correct.  After temporarily attaching all the masts and bowsprit I had a pang of wonder.  From tip of bowsprit to stern, this Victory measures approximately 50 inches.. It stands from bottom of hull to tip of mainmast about 40 inches.  I guess this will require a large and expensive display case.  Dependiing on the material used, this could be a very costly item.  If you look back real early in my log you'll find my Cutty Sark sitting in an acrylic case which sits on a matching acylic bench.  This combination of display apparatus cost almost $1000.  My wife would like to dismantle a bookcase that is also a room divider and have a custom case built in its place.  This  cost could be prohibitive so I hope I can convince her to take another route.  It is a problem but it'll be a happy one when the build is completed.  In any event, it's premature to worry about display cases, etc.,since I have a lot to do ( odds and ends and all the rigging)  before putting this ship in dry dock .  Please stay in touch...Jerry

Hi Kevin...Much obliged for your visit to my log.  After watching your progress and learning from it I notice that your Victory's stage is not that far behind mine.  I wonder how easy (or hard) is it to do more than one build at a time.  Keep going, I'd like to see what you do.  Thanks again for dropping by.

Jerry

Hi Mike...Many thanks for your visit to my log and your much appreciated compliment.  I have checked your log and the launch looks fantastic.  I appreciate knowing about how you applied the davits as I would like to do the same thing if I can.  As many others on this site have expressed, it's a shame to have to coveer up the entire waist of Victory with the ship's boats.  Thanks for posting your work and have a great day.

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence... Thanks for the look- in; I'm sure you know I appreciate your opinion.  The stern looks great and your effort was well worth it.  You are so patient and smart to do the change because your Victory really looks a lot better.  Have a great day and I hope to have a skype visit later on.  Jerry

Here's an example of one of the detail jobs I had to do.  The sheaves on the fore and main top masts.  The little buggers were hard to work with but like most small "stuff" on this model the fine tweezers did the job.  Have a great day everyone.

Jerry

post-545-0-30483300-1391450406_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-02633400-1391450427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

While waiting for the serving machine to arrive I'm catching up on odds and ends in order to keep busy.  Yesterday and today the project was to build the anchors.  It's anchors aweigh as they are done and it'll be on to something else so as not to waste any time.  Have nice day everyone...Jerry

post-545-0-95174300-1391627008_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20257000-1391627039_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-98744400-1391627057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry

Nice looking anchors, it's good to keep busy. I've just about finished the first planking. 2 or 3 good sessions in workshop should see the job done. I'll post some pictures when complete.

Hope your serving machine arrives soon as I'm really looking forward to watching your progress with the rigging.

Keep up the good work.

Glenn

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.. Many thanks for stopping by my site and especially for your compliment.  I expect the seizing machine to arrive within the next day or two and and hope to get started soon after.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not to permanently place all the masts or just place the lower masts before beginning the shrouds.  I've had mixed opinions.  But until I begin the shrouds there are still some odds and ends to take care of.  I think I'll make the laterns to keep me busy as I haven't touched them yet.  We'll see... Have a great day and again thanks for your visit.

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.  You need to move to Florida.  I can't believe how much snow you've had this year.  Every time we hear from you, you're freezing up there and blowing snow.  It's cool here this morning...71F....However, there is one good thing about all that cold weather.....gives you the incentive to stay indoors and work on your build.  Thanks so much for your compliment on the anchors.   I used a paint primer before the black and it gave the metal a very nice texture.  So now it's more thinking about the shrouds and their construction process.  Talk to you later Lawrence..Have a fabulous day,

Jerry

Hello Everyone...

Well, it's Saturday and it looks like a lot of us have posted progress to date.  Happily, the seizing, serving machine has arrived from Ships Ahoy and it looks like i won't be able to put off the rigging any longer.  I need to allign the masts on the bench, attach all remaining blocks, etc. and stop procrastinating.  So hopefully, I will begin seizing the shrouds this week.  In the meantime, I have managed to complete some odds and end like the anchors and now the ship's lanterns, photos attached.  I'd like to give a special shout out to Lawrence for his kindness and thoughfulness in mailing me some yellow plastic which gives the lanterns the candle glow.  So many thanks, Lawrence, you are one special person. 

So if all goes well and I can get to  work on alligning and gluing the masts together, and then, it's rigging for me.

Take care everyone,

Jerry

post-545-0-74354100-1391879308_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-26500500-1391879329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Love the lanterns. The mamoli kit ones I had to use were solid castings , and so I had to paint the windows with gloss black, to simulate them. They are very small as the mamoli kit is a lot smaller. No where near as good as yours but they are okay. Keep up the great work.

post-5894-0-56417900-1391935174_thumb.jpg

Good morning, Lawrence.. Much obliged for your complimentary words and your visit to my site.  The lanterns wouldn't look as good if it weren't for your generousity by mailing the yellow plastic to me.  So many thanks again and have a terrific day.

Jerry

Hello Glenn..  Thanks a lot for your visit.  I'm going to spend some time practising with the seizing machine before I start the actyual shrouds.  I also have to get all the blocks put on the the three masts.  So there is a bit to do before I begin the rigging, but i'm getting close.  Have a great day.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Mike and many thanks for your visit to my log.  I appreciate the pictue of your lanterns and plan to use it to help me locate them on my build.  You  did a great job on your lanterns as they look quite authentic. It must have been a pain to have to paint all that black but it looks real good.  My kit's instructioins tell you to paint the lanterns but never mentioned what color to use.  Looking at the lanterns on other sites I see no black being used for the metal so I may have goofed there.  I like the lighter color better.  Hope you are having  a good day..  Jerry

Hello Lawrence...Nope, I would have painted then yellow-ochre if I knew that was the correct color.  Looks like I'm going to settle with the black.  By the way, There's a package on the way to you; look for it.

Jerry

Hello Cap'n Jack  (BZ)..

Many thanks for your visit to my log and especially for your compliment.  I sincerely appreciate your comment and hope you will visit me again.  Have a great day,

Jerry

Good afternoon everyone...Not much progress to report as I have been preparing the "dry dock" for the rigging phase of the build.  I have changed the workbench to be more of a supply and tool shelf than a working area as I plane to work on the ship in a different manner as before.  The boat will sit on a turntable on a short bench in the midlle of the room to make it very easy to work on the shouds, rtc.  The turntable, as told by others many times in these posts, is invaluable when working on the rigging.  It's so much easier to gently spin the ship from one side to another then picking it up and physically turning it,  The first rigging item I a have decided to do are the pendants.  I have been experimenting with a way to use cord rollers at the end of the pendants.  As I'm sure all of you Jotika kit builders are aware there are no such parts furnished in the kit.  It looks so much better to roll the loop at the end of the pendant over a roller.  I have tried using plastic beads which were purchased at a local crafts store, picture attached, but this didn't work out.  The cord continuously would slip off the bead even when lightly glued.  So i gave up on this method and was pretty frustraded.  But luckily I mentioned this situation to good friend Lawrence today and he mentioned that someone who he spoke to cut small pieces off of the end of a dowell, drilled them and they worked fine.  Lo and behold I tried it and indeed, it worked fine.  I painted the wood a walnut color and the picture is attached.  My first set of pendants are finished so I have officially begun my rigging.  Have a great evening everyone.

Jerry

The first photo is the method using plastic beads that didn't turn out well.

The second photo shows the pendants loop rollers made out of dowel slices.

post-545-0-73112600-1392326507_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-06099400-1392326558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence.  Thank you very much for your visit to my log.  I also enjoyed chatting with you today.  I did start the shrouds and as you know had to remove numbers 1 and 2 from both port and starboard as the deadeyes which were seized before using the deadeye spacer were way off the mark.  I cut them out and have finished installing their replacements.  This was tricky since I had to fit the wraps around the masts under the other shrouds which sit on top of them.  All the foremast shrouds are now in place, hanging and  waiting for the deadeyes to be attached. I hope to do that tomorrow using the deadeye spacer like the one you mentioned.

I hope you and the Admiral had a terrific weekend.  I'll be seeing you both soon.  best regards and once more I sincerely appreciate your wonderful compliments.

Jerry

Hello Everyone...I've managed to make a little progress with the build.  I have spent the last few days working on the shrouds and lanyards and have completed them for the foremast.  I hear everyone talking about be careful about not knocking off one extrusion or another and I decided of course to be careful.  So I managed to break off one boomkin and one cat.  Both are back together so it's on to the main mast when next I get going again.  By the way, I did not permanently attach the bowsprit....too dangerous; it'd sitting on the bench while I do the shrouds.   Looks like I'll be starting the Main mast shrouds next.  Everyone stay well...

Jerry

post-545-0-56146900-1392766283_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-54446900-1392766313_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-15076200-1392766348_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-67834500-1392766400_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-36143700-1392766427_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-18170000-1392766447_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-14014800-1392766484_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-57120200-1392766509_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-81922900-1392766544_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-22649200-1392766574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello David...I don't see any flags on the shrouds..Did you check the last picture?  LOL  Jerry

Hi Lawrence...Thank you very much for taking time to read my post.  I sincerely appreciate your compliment regarding the line up of the deadeyes but as you know, it wouldn't have happened if not for your suggestion regarding the jig.  The little bugger works well and I'll have to use it one more time on the lower main mast shrouds.  Then the dimension changes when one gets to the mizzen mast and of course to the top masts.  I'm going to begin the tackle pendants again, this time for the main mast and I'll use the slice-a-dowel method for the bulls eyes in the loops.  Hope you and the Admiral have a great day with no snow blowing and I'll probably see you later.  Many thanks again,

Jerry

Hey Lawrence...Good to know that the little package finally arrived .  I'm really surprised that it took 11 days but a after all, Canada is a different country although most Americans,  like me,  find it difficult to think of it as being different.  Building the masts can be very enjoyable as you stated; I found it to be a rewarding process.  It's so much nicer than a plain dowel as most of the model ships' masts  are built.  I've been working on serving the main mast shroud lines this morning and am now tying them to the mast.  Hope you have a very productive and happy day.  Your friend,

Jerry

Hello everyone...I'm happy to report a little more progress on my Victory.  The shrouds and lanyards for all the lower masts have been completed so it's on to the next higher level, the top masts.  I have a little concern as I get higher up the model as the deadeyes are getting smaller and smaller.  The jig that I made to help tie the foremast and mainmast lanyards to the shrouds is too big for the mizzen mast lanyards so I made another one, a bit smaller, in spacing and in wire guage.  This allowed me to accomplish the mizzenmast lanyards but now I'm concerned about the top masts because the deadeye are again much smaller.  I hope my brain works and I can figure this one out.  I cringed when I noticed that one of the mizzen mast lanyards on each side  sits right in front of a gun port (cannon ready to blow the hell out of it) so I guess I'll have to remove this shroud and move the deadye and strop.  Maybe I'll forget to do this.  LOL...Any way, I'm really enjoying the build at this time and look forward to completing the remaining shrouds, etc. and start counting clove hitches as I do the rat lines.  Photos attached.  Jerry

post-545-0-80298500-1393350100_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-72375600-1393350145_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-14015800-1393350179_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-28635500-1393350207_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry