HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hello Glenn.. It's nice to see you again and thank you for your favorible comments.  I began my Victory just about one year ago,  Feb 21st, to be exact.  You are making unbelievably quick progress so I don't believe it'll take you as long as you think to get to the stage I'm in.  Furthermore, you are doing a beautiful, careful job and you are going to have one hell of  a good loooking ship model when you are through.  Keep your log going too.  Take care,

Jerry

Thanks, David...Appreciate your very kind comments; however, that's not dandruff.....IT'S DRIED SWEAT!!!!

Some additonal notes from the dry dock.....Today I began to hang and attach the fore top mast shrouds.  Because I am now dealing with minute deadeyes  (3.5mm) and blocks (3mm), I found the going extra slow.  I belive I'd better get used to this slower pace as I delve further and further into the rigging.  It was tricky at times; a couple of deadeyes slipped out of their loops as I was handling them one way or another and I was lucky to be able to place them back where they belong.  I had visions of removing the entire pair of shrouds in order to tie in a new deadeye but as I said I was lucky.  Some of the holes in the deadeyes were a bit too small or blocked so it was also necessary to drill all the deadeye out, those that were stropped and those that were tied into the end of the shrouds. I remembered that the first pair os shrouds on both sides had a small single block lashed between them just below the top platform where the serving ended.  These will be needed later for the yard lifts.  So at the next session I will try and complete the same phase for the main top mast as it is  the same as what I just finished.  However, the mizzen top mast will be a little different as I will be dealing with 2.5mm deadeyes. Some photos are attached.  Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-79935000-1393533201_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-87150500-1393533281_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16908500-1393533329_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-73957000-1393533608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Jerry

I admire the work you are doing. Are you treating the rigging thread with beeswax to aid the process? Also I have seen others treat the end of the thread with CA to stiffen and make the threading easier.

I recall with my last ship I had to drill out all the dead eyes and blocks so I could thread the rigging through.

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...Thank you for your visit to my Log.  I appreciate your favorable comment as it's always nice to hear a compliment after a hard day's work.  In answer to your question, I do use bees wax on all thread.  I buli a Cuty Sark (see beginning of this log)  several years ago on which i applied bees wax also.  It sits in a lucite display case and it has never had any dust on it.  i find it amazing that after all these years, about 15, case or not, there's no dust to be found.  I attribute that to the use of the bees wax.  There was no need to coat the end of the thread with CA as I was able to pass the thread through almost all the deadeyes.  Where I had trouble, I used a needle threader.  My concern is with the tny 2.5mm deadeyes on the top mizzen mast. I may have to use the threader all the time here... I'd be very cautious about drilling the holes as there is very little wood between them..  Oh well.we'll see what happens.  Get a good night's sleep my friend.   Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well things are really going well, and you seem to have had no probs with the small dead eyes. The very small ones are a nightmare. I lost a lot in the carpet, and had to order more from CMB. There's no need for a needle threader, ( the threader will not fit through the holes in the deadeye) it's easy to thread the lanyards, the prob is fitting the deadeye to the shroud, as you know. I ended up putting Tanya tape round my finger like a Elastoplast and stuck the very small eyelet to the Tanya tape and found it easy to attach the shroud with a bit of practice..... Good luck. DAVID

post-96-0-97891900-1393545317_thumb.jpg

Hello David and thanks for taking he time to send me the photo of your method to attach the small (2.5mm) deadeyes.  Looks like you have a very good idea and if my method doesn't work I'll try your way.  If the needle threader threader doesn't work, how did you thread the Lanyards?  Also, how did you space the deadeyes on thie mizzenmast?  I used a wire jig, spaced 20 mm, for all the lower mast, and one spaced 15mm for the top fore and main masts.  I belive the space has to be 13mm for the top mizzenmast deadeyes.  As you know the holes in the 2.5mm are tiny so I don't know if i can fashion a jig with small enough guage wire..  Hope you're getting a good night's sleep becuase I think you'll be snoring when this email arrives in your computer.  Best.

Jerry

Hello Jerry

I did not answer your question fully. I just measured my deadeyes by eye, and some of them are not to good. Having said that the small ones are very good apart from one. You have waxed your thread and it is the thinnest , so just fold it in comparison to the first one you do and the fold will stay in. Once the deadeye is located into the fold you won't be far out of level, and will need very little adjustment. Give it ago you can only fail, and there's only eight to do. DAVID

Good morning, David....Your ship looks so good you must have a terrific eye.  Thanks for the fuller explanation which puts me more at ease.  I will try to do what you did and locate the deadeyes by eye.  Again, I'm much obliged for your help and wish you a very good day.

Jerry

Hi Lawrence..  I ertainly appreciate your stopping by my log today and your favorable comments.  I used a single staple jig for the top foremast and it was okay.  I did force a couple of deadeyes out of their loop but I muscled them back into place.  I have hung the pendants on the top main mast and am starting to serve the shroud lines.  I hope to get somethnig accomplished today as I have been doing son-in-law duty which I'm sure you are aware of what I mean.  Have a decent day and enjoy the cold weather.    Jerry

Good evening everyone...Not too much more to report .. We've had some health problems in the family which now seems to be under control, I'm very happy to say.  I did manage to make good progress with the Main top mast shrouds as depicted in the photos.  I am about to begin the process of adjusting the tension in the shrouds in order to assure the top mast is centered to the hull and that the slight rake is maintained.  I alternate adjusting one lanyard on each side of the ship, always making sure that proper alignment is kept.  When satisfied, I run the layard through the reamaining hole in the platform deadeye and tie that lanyard off.  I hope this is helpful for someone. Of course when this step is finished I'll be on to the top mizzen mast shrouds and handling the little bugger deadeyes (2.5mm) that David has shown above and his method in attaching them to the shroud.  I'll need 8 of them and I only have 9 in my possession so I must be very careful handling them.  The floor in my dry-dock is a very light colored ceramic tile so if I drop one I have a fighting chance to spot it.  

Best regards,

Jerry

post-545-0-54987800-1393802488_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-70509700-1393802503_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello David..  Nice of you to stop by.  Thanks for your nice comments, too.  It'll be awhile before the rat lines as I have futtock staves and catherpins to do.  But I'm practicing clove hitches...LOL..Have a good night.

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence and many thanks for stopping by the site.  I sincerely appreciate your favorable comments but I want you to now I AM NOT RACING YOU!!..Your build is beautiful for many reasons, one being that you have added extras to enhance its being and this takes addtional time.  I have not done this but have merely followed the kit's manual to prod along.  As I said, all those thoughtful extras will, of course, slow you down.  I'll be talking to you later to see where you're at.  My best to the Admiral..

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

lovely work jerry, i continue to go backwards -doing things i wish i had done better ist time around

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Kevin...It's very nice to hear from you; it's been a long time.  I remember that it was your's and David's  influence that got me started with this log.  Thanks so much for your complimenet, I appreciate it .  Although I seem to movng along at a good pace I know that this dash will soon come to a crawl as I get more into the rigging.  I am enjoying this phase as it's fun to run threads all over the place.  I'm using plenty of bee's wax as I my experience has proven that dust stays away when the lines are coated with it. Have a decent day and again, many thankd for saying hello.

Jerry

Hello everyone...I'm happy to report a little more progress on my Victory.  The shrouds and lanyards for all the lower masts have been completed so it's on to the next higher level, the top masts.  I have a little concern as I get higher up the model as the deadeyes are getting smaller and smaller.  The jig that I made to help tie the foremast and mainmast lanyards to the shrouds is too big for the mizzen mast lanyards so I made another one, a bit smaller, in spacing and in wire guage.  This allowed me to accomplish the mizzenmast lanyards but now I'm concerned about the top masts because the deadeye are again much smaller.  I hope my brain works and I can figure this one out.  I cringed when I noticed that one of the mizzen mast lanyards on each side  sits right in front of a gun port (cannon ready to blow the hell out of it) so I guess I'll have to remove this shroud and move the deadye and strop.  Maybe I'll forget to do this.  LOL...Any way, I'm really enjoying the build at this time and look forward to completing the remaining shrouds, etc. and start counting clove hitches as I do the rat lines.  Photos attached.  Jerry

beautiful work Jerry,

the model Looks very impressive so far, next to the hull I love the work on the shrouds,

to what extent will you do the rigging (also running rigging, perhaps even sails ? )

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Nils.... and thank you so much for your visit to my site; it's so nice to hear from you.  Needless to say, I appreciate your kind comments and like to answer your question.  I intend to complete all the rigging, if i can accomplish it.  No, I don't envision attaching any sails as I would never want to cover the rigging work.  Please visit me again as it's a pleasure to hear from fellow modelers.  Have a great day.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Just catching up on your build and you continue at your usual break-neck pace!  You're turning into quite the master rigger and filing away your tips and techniques for future reference.  Lovely work and I will keep watching your progress.

Patrick

Good morning, Patrick..

That's just what I needed to begin my day....A nice compliment...I appreciate your visit and hope to see you again.  I'm almost finished with the shrouds and am looking forward to the next phase, the rat lines.   however,  I still have the catharpins and futtock staves to complete first.  Hope your day is a happy one...

Jerry

I believe it's time again to report my progress.  Hello, everyone and welcome to my drydock...At this point I have finsihed all the shrouds so I am presently working on the catharpins, preparing them for mounting to the staves.  From the research I have made  (Logridge) there are only four catharpins on the foremast and mainmast, not 6 as presented in the Jotika rigging manual.  Each one is to be fully served before attaching.  I have struggled for the most part of today trying to come up with a good method of making the catharpins and finally settled by serving the entire length and then bending and lashing each end to form the loops.  Now that I have figured out a mthod I'll use, it's onward with more rigging.  Some photos are attached.  Thanks for putting up with my babble.

Jerry

post-545-0-43532600-1394480801_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-48336400-1394480825_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-87955500-1394480854_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-61638100-1394480871_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-99121500-1394480896_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-03314900-1394480916_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-66847500-1394480928_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55756000-1394484366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well things are coming along nicely, and those shrouds look fine and await those rat lines. Jerry I have got to say that futtock stave is the best I have seen. It is really neat and tidy, mine are just a piece of brass rod with a bundle of knots around them ......keep enjoying it Jerry, it's coming on fine. DAVID

Good morning, Lawrence..Many thanks for your visit to my log.  I appreciate your good words and hope that my posts will always be beneficial for you in some way.  I hope you have an easy time building your serving machine as you'll find it a must as you continue your build.  Please let me know if i can help you in any way.  Have a great day and best wishes to the admiral.

Jerry

Hello David...Thank you for the compliment that you gave me when you visited my log.  The staves may be neat at this point but once the catharpins and futtock shrouds are attached I'm sure they'll be congested.  I have only gotten this far due to the logs of several people, especially yours.  I appreciate the ability to follow in your footprints.  Hope all is well...Jerry

Hi Lawrence..  Thanks again for saying hello.  What is a catapin?  Is it something that launches objects from one ship at another?  Just kidding...I know what you mean but thanks for letting me have some fun.  Hope you have a great day.

Jerry

Hello Glenn and thank you very much for your visit to my site.  I have provided a link for you that will give you a picture and all the information you'll need about this American company.  I hope I have been helpful.  best regards,

Jerry

http://www.shipahoymodels.com/equipmentforsale.htm