Santa Lucia by usedtosail - FINISHED - Panart - 1/30 scale - Sicilian Cargo Boat

Hi Tom,

Your model looks terrific. It's nice to see different subjects that modellers like yourself bring to MSW. Brilliant work!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks EJ and Peter. I am giving this model to my son to put on his fireplace mantel as he bought his first house last year. We will be celebrating Thanksgiving there this year for the first time, so the next generation is stepping up, which is nice.

Thanks for all the likes too.

I have been working on the case all week, since buying the wood last weekend. The base board is an edge glued pine board that I bought at Lowes. I used a small round over bit in the router to round over the top edges. The cover will be made from 5 panels of plexiglas framed in 3/4" by 1/2" poplar frames. I bought a few 1x2 poplar boards and ripped them down to 1/2" on the big table saw. I used a dado blade on the the saw to cut lap joints into the ends of each frame. I made a mortice jig for the router and used it to cut the slot down the center of one side of each frame piece for the plexiglas to fit in. To avoid splitting where the cut goes into the lap joints, I only cut to about 1/4" from the lap joints. I then used the mill with the same router bit to finish the cuts on each end. I bought a sheet of plexiglas at Lowes that I cut into the panel pieces on the big table saw using a saw blade for plywood. I am now in the process of sanding the frame pieces. Here are the some of the frame pieces on the base board.

IMG_0499.thumb.jpg.e5450b1f38ed0df49ac714b3ecfed3bb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the case just about finished. I assembled the panels then attached the back to the two sides.

IMG_0503.thumb.jpg.8c4eb22efacd680d3b11ceec82ca77d5.jpg I put some 1/4" square pieces on the base board to hold the cover in place then removed the plastic and cleaned the inside surfaces of all the Plexiglas. I then attached the front to the two sides, then the top to all the sides.

IMG_0504.thumb.jpg.f67b22c311d5bf70bdd97f5b18e2a3a3.jpg

I need to attach the cradle to the base board and it will be ready to put the model in.

WOW!  nice looking case Tom! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Congratulations Tom on a wonderful build!

Your son is one lucky bloke and will no doubt be extremely happy and proud with what his dad has built.

Cheers.............Fernando    :cheers:

Edited by Fernando E

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

another awesome project done Tom!   congratz on a fine looking model and case! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

Hi Keith. I think it came out quite nice. You can see the finished ship in the photos above or in the gallery. It took me just about a full year to build. If you do decide to build it please start a build log and let me know. I would love to follow along.

• The title was changed to Santa Lucia by usedtosail - FINISHED - Panart - 1/30 scale - Sicilian Cargo Boat