Just Joined

Orionfield

My name is Dan and I've been building plastic scale models for over 20 years. I am very interested in naval design from all eras, but I am probably most interested in the 1830's to through 1880, when Steam was just starting to show up and and there were so many changes taking place in ship design.  

In addition to my interests as a modeler, I am also a member of the Shipbucket, and draw pixel art drawings of ships with them. 

I also own a 3D printing model kit company called Out of the Box Models. We are a 100% crowdsourced model company, meaning all of our kits are proposed and sponsored by our customers. 

I am excited to get involved here and get to know everyone!

35 minutes ago, Orionfield said:

but I am probably most interested in the 1830's to through 1880, when Steam was just starting to show up and and there were so many changes taking place in ship design

Well, this puts you in a special minority. Personally, I think that era is fascinating, too, but most modelers seem to think that ships of that time period tend towards the "ugly" side of the aesthetics spectrum. I disagree. But then, I also think that the rapidly transitioning Golden Age of Aviation is more interesting as a source of modeling subjects than what came before or after. I look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Dan:

Welcome to MSW.

Your business sounds interesting (and I just checked your website) and what you posted about it is OK within our guidelines.  However, please read the rules about business postings outside of the dealers section.

Again Welcome to MSW

Kurt

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/guidelines/

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

Dan:

Welcome to MSW.

Your business sounds interesting (and I just checked your website) and what you posted about it is OK within our guidelines.  However, please read the rules about business postings outside of the dealers section.

Again Welcome to MSW

Kurt

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/guidelines/

Thank you for the heads up. I actually didn't intend on joining the site to sell things, I actually came as a hobbyist. I love building models and I really want to start doing so more often.

Welcome to MSW Dan! Looking forward to seeing the ships you choose to build as that is a minority era with not as many builds going on. Should be fun and I'm sure very educational!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)