Greetings from sunny San Diego! (couldn't resist)

AlanZL1

I found this forum recently after buying a Dapper Tom kit.  This isn't my first kit however.  I build a Revell plastic Constitution when I was about 13.  Spent all summer working on it.  Lots of mistakes of course, but no one else seemed to notice.  I was hooked. 

I read the top article on this topic and laughed because it perfectly described my next experience 25 years later.

My first wood kit was Bluenose II.  It was a completely different experience and again, lots of mistakes, but something I displayed on my mantle for years.  That went so well I attempted the Cutty Sark.  I picked if because I have actually walked the decks of that ship.  Oh dear what a trauma that was.  I never got past the hull planking.  It got put aside when life got busy (daughter).  Seven years later I purged my garage and the kit was one of the casualties, along with the completed Bluenose that had been repeatedly been damaged over the years (daughter :) ). 

Its been another 20 years and with retirement I am trying again.  I researched beginner kits this time (and avoided planked hulls) and I chose the Dapper Tom.  I have shaped the hull and put down and finished the primer to a silky smooth finish.  Just need to figure out colors now.

I was hoping to find some build logs on this kit to help me along the way.  The reviews for this kit said the instructions were very complete and highly detailed.  I am not finding that to be the case, at least for my novice knowledge.  Pictures tell the story and I have been partially successful searching the internet for clues.

I am not squeamish about creating a build log as a novice and putting all my struggles on display.  I'll get to that soon if members here think that is a beneficial thing to do.  Hopefully I'll get comments and guidance along the way, get some answers to my inevitable questions, and help prevent another kit from being banished to the garage.

Looking forward to this adventure....

Alan

20190226_131444.jpg

Hi, Alan. Be sure to check out the San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild -- a great local club that meets on the Berkeley down at the Maritime Museum.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Alan,

Welcome to MSW.  What Chris said... I'm too far away but have visited the museum and we do have some of the members here at MSW.

Please do start a build log as it's the best way to get help and meet fellow builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW

Greetings from Belgium

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome Alan!

I visited San Diego a few years back, absolutely loved it. Do start a log, good fun as well!

Regards

Vaddoc