good evening everyone

i am presently rigging the rudder on my build, from the spectacle plate the chains are fitted then to a hook attached to a line which passes up the hull to the after channel where it passes through, but where does it go to after that?

is it tied off at the channel, or does it pass into the hull

Kevin,

Some did pass through, others didn't.  If the wheel, etc. broke, this gave the crew a backup for steering.  It also served as a connection to keep the rudder attached to the ship in case bad weather unshipped it.  If it's passing through the hull, there should be a belaying point such as a small cleat. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, non of my books show it, and  the plans certainly dont, infarct before yesterday, i was completely unaware of the line passing up the hull, i had only ever seen the chain, even though i was right in thinking why it was there

IMG_3887.JPG

Hi Kevin,

Here is a shot of how the line is currently set up on Victory. (or was a few years ago)

It passes thro' the Mizen channels  and is secured with a knot.

I recall that the guides at the time were unable to understand what I was talking about and  let me  get on the Poop to show them.

Doesn't necessarily help matters but perhaps when required lines were attached held by the knot.

.100_2231.thumb.JPG.26853f4f045a3a4145414a213bbe4e65.JPG

Regards,

B.E.

12 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Hi Kevin,

Here is a shot of how the line is currently set up on Victory. (or was a few years ago)

It passes thro' the Mizen channels  and is secured with a knot.

I recall that the guides at the time were unable to understand what I was talking about and  let me  get on the Poop to show them.

Doesn't necessarily help matters but perhaps when required lines were attached held by the knot.

.100_2231.thumb.JPG.26853f4f045a3a4145414a213bbe4e65.JPG

Regards,

B.E.

thank you so much, just the info i needed, can i use your photo in my build log please

9 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Feel free Kevin, glad it helped.

B.E.

thank you, but strange that it was held by a knot and not a cleat

well i went back down stairs preparing to do the knot and accidentally knock my Longbridge book on the floor, which opened on the running rigging plans, and there was the answer, the line in this case passes along the channel and into the hull

img011.thumb.jpg.06534b88142782f0f8802290080bd734.jpg

Edited by Kevin

lol another 2 hours research to do a two minute job

thank you for the help on this subject, 

this is how i have interperated  it after seeing the longbridge drawing

IMG_3892 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

Edited by Kevin

• 2 months later...

I do not think, that it should be that tight, as the rudder must

- move with the tiller

- in case of emergency the rudder must have enough space to unhinge without breaking this chain.

Anyway this is the setup of the 1920 Vic. The original model of 1765 shows thos lien to move through the channel board and to be continued up to the poop where it is fitted onto a knighthead.

f844t3413p95953n2_nrBEdLGR.png.e025c8305c7a18d478440a98ab2deb1d.png

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66473.html SLR0512 

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

20 hours ago, dafi said:

I do not think, that it should be that tight, as the rudder must

- move with the tiller

- in case of emergency the rudder must have enough space to unhinge without breaking this chain.

Anyway this is the setup of the 1920 Vic. The original model of 1765 shows thos lien to move through the channel board and to be continued up to the poop where it is fitted onto a knighthead.

f844t3413p95953n2_nrBEdLGR.png.e025c8305c7a18d478440a98ab2deb1d.png

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66473.html SLR0512 

I think i loosened it off before i completed her,  will have a look after work tonight ty dafi, i forgot i had this post running

Edited by Kevin

mine is now slightly looser, and as in post 5 above, i never took the line higher than the channel, but secured it there