HMS Triton (cross section) by McSpuds - 1:32

Here we go....  I have finally got back in the saddle again. Although my experience in POB or POF is not much, I do have extensive experience with scratch building 1/144 scale WWI and WWII vessels for RC.

I joined Chuck's Syren build years ago and loved it, but I had to eventually drop the build after a time. 

When I get this one completed I hope to build cross section that includes a mast section. One of my favorite builds in the past I have seen included a cross section with a couple of marines in the crows nest, firing back down  into the melee.

Like other new builders, I have been looking at some of the other builds and I am definitely a little intimidated! I look forward to seeing how well I can do this.

Not sure, but here is a quick question, is it possible to move the cross section forward or aft to include a mast? and how would I perform that?

Edited by McSpuds
spelling

Group Build - Triton Cross Section

Abandoned -  USS Syren

OK I was looking at a Brynes Sander, have been for some time, but I think I will get pre-milled wood for this build and get my sander later.

Issue is that both Crown Timberyard and Wood Project Source are CLOSED!

I hope not for long!

Edited by McSpuds

Abandoned -  USS Syren

Just a little guidance needed on files before I print most.

I printed two Frame sheets.  I used no "fit to sheet" option and 100%.

frames.png.49873efc09f87ada379e5dd4a2b044b9.png

Two sections are different scale. I am assuming that the 0DoubleFrame64, selected above, is WHAT?  it definitely is not the same scale as the 0DoubleFrameComponent481, of which I think is 1:48 scale at 100%

The KeelParts481 is the same scale as the 2nd file.  So where did this 0DoubleFrame64 come from? and what is it used for?

Edited by McSpuds

Abandoned -  USS Syren

The 0DoubleFrame64 is for a baseline if you were to build this at 1:64.  The 3 numbers at the end of the drawings "481" are for the 1:48 build which this project was designed for.   The "64" is for reference only as such.

For 1:48, there's basically two drawing for every frame: a "DoubleFrameComponent481" and "DoubleFrameAssembly481" is used.

Edit:  Print not at 100% but "Actual Size".  After printing, use the scale bar at the "bottom" or "side" of the plans to verify.

I hope this helps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Check my edit as I added a printing comment.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just a reminder then that the wood list I made is for 1:48, so if you go bigger you will need to remeasure and make a new list..... which would probably be a nice addition to to forum and give you something to work on until wood is available! 😉

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

To be sure on my scale, and on proper plan size when printed... I am not sure if the plans are metric or standard,

The plans for the Triton are 1:48, so....  On each sheet, The distance between any given number on the "scale in feet" diagram on each frame sheet should relate to the actual scale of model. IE...  If 1:48, the distance between #1 and #2 should be 1/4" ?

scale.png.150df3d38b6bc2c6457ec0871109432b.png

If true then scales are as follows?

1:48  - 1/4" between numbers

1:32 - 3/8" between numbers

1:24 - 1/2" between numbers

correct?

Abandoned -  USS Syren

Correct.   It's in the good inches and not this new fangled stuff called metric.  :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 4/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, ChadB said:

Just a reminder then that the wood list I made is for 1:48, so if you go bigger you will need to remeasure and make a new list..... which would probably be a nice addition to to forum and give you something to work on until wood is available! 😉

Chad

I am not sure yet on scale, but I will go a little bit larger than 1:48. My Arthritis doesnt like stuff too small.  I will definitely try to make a list for the larger scale. At least in sheets.  I have a good mini table saw to rip my stock.  If the two sources here in the US stay closed too long, I will have to buy larger stock and invest in a drum thickness sander.

Abandoned -  USS Syren

Keep an eye on Crown as he's planning on re-opening as soon as he's caught up.   As for Wood Project Source, I have no idea what happened there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Made a trip to my printer today.  I wanted to get the plans printed on their equipment because it would give me a chance to look at the scale I wanted.

WOW is about all I can say about 1:24....  

I had the 1st frame printed in three scales, 1:48, 1:32, and 1:24.  After seeing the size, I have decided on 1:32

20190409_122709.jpg

Now that I have the scale picked out, time to figure out sizes and types of wood.  I hope somebody out there can help me with the amounts needed.....  this is going to be so fun.  

Edited by McSpuds

Abandoned -  USS Syren