Does anyone have advise on fairing a plank on frame Hahn style hull? Any special tools? What are the common

mistakes? Do i install the cant frames before fairing the common frames? How do you protect the keel and the

stem? Any ideas concerning fairing the inside of the hull? Power tools?

Thank you,

Pete

I just used a sanding block on my Fair American.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Pete,

There's lots of ways of fairing just as there are lots of builders.  :)

Many of us make our own sanding tools.  I use a combination of round tubes, stiff plastic sheeting, even wood strips and blocks, all with sandpaper rubber cemented to them. 

It its easier to fair the inside before installing the fore and aft cant frames. 

I'd suggest crusing the various scratch logs, and not necessarily just the Hahn logs, as there's an abundance of good info on this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark is correct, there are as many ways as there are builders, and if the method works it is the right way to go.  I usually build the cant frames first, thus fair them first.  I usually do some pretty aggressive fairing before setting them in place, then after every two or three frames are set, more fairing and finally finisht the fairing after all the cants are in place.  The inboard surface for the square frames are easy by comparison,

I use a Dremel rough sanding in tight spots and a mouse sander where there is room.  Sanding sticks with various shapes and grits work well for the final fairing.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Well has others have said, all kinds of things can be used for faring one's hull. I have used a drill and dremel with sand paper type flapper brushes, flat and curve pieces of wood with sand paper cement to it, metal scrapers and curved rasps. One can also use a mouse type sander that comes to a point in getting in to tight places. One item that seem to have help me a lot with fairing the inside of the bow and stern of Alfred's frames was broken glass used like a scraper. I know but it worked and didn't get cut once. :dancetl6: Take a piece of picture glass, cover it with a towel and with a hammer tap the glass. You will be surprised at how many different shapes you will get for fairing the inside of the frames, and once it becomes dull, just get another piece. :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4: :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:  

Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Thanks for the shattered glass tip, Gary.  I never would have thought of that!

(Do not attempt this at home.  Stunt was performed by an advanced modeler in a closed workshop.)

As you can infer from the previous posts, this is a part of the build that many have come up against without a pre-ordained answer, and they've discovered what works for them.  There's probably no single best solution.

I primarily used a "sanding sled", a shaped piece of wood with sandpaper glued to it.

Ron