Deck Sander

Sanding decks is tedious and tiring and with my fat fingers, problematical.  So.. a tool, preferably power was called for.  After remembering that a floor buffer could be used to sand a wooden floor, I reached for the Dremel.   I'm using the mandrel for the cut-off disks and one of the felt buffing pads.  A chunk of sandpaper is rubber cemented to the pad.   I'm looking around for a rubber disk, the right size to perfect it a tad more.  I turn the Dremel on low and hold it as perpendicular to the deck as I can get and apply next to zero pressure.  It does a nice job, fast.

post-76-0-41181800-1367985490_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just to be careful and be light handed as usual when suing power tools and results can be amazing. Thanks for the tip! :10_1_10:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Valid points.  Low speed and light hand keeping the sanding head flat or nearly flat to the deck. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good tip Mark. I used a Rockwell sonicrafter on the deck and hull of my Conny with good results.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks Mark great idea for the work boat i'm in the middle of building right now. I was just thinking how I could make it a little easier sanding the inside of the boat...

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Here is another tool. It is called a 'mouse' made by Black and Decker and sells for about $35 at Home Depot.

I have used it to sand the deck and hull and for this kind of work it is a fine little sander. It comes with different size 'feet' for tight corners.

post-246-0-51399000-1368032818.jpg  post-246-0-70634800-1368032803.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay,

I almost bought one of those, but it's still way to big to get into hull.  There's some serious tumblehome to deal with.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought I'd add a bit more....

I'm using 220 grit with a very very light touch.  Too much and I'll get swirl marks which I found out in testing on scrap.   Too large a grit (100 or less) and it shreds and swirls the wood.

For finishing, I'll be using my oscillating pencil sander with 320 paper.   The scrapers are great but that deck area is in such a tight spot (between the raised center on oneside and under the tumblehome...  well.. my fat fingers argue the point. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You didn't tell us about the oscillating sander....you devil!!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

What is a oscillating pencil sander? I've used spindle sanders and air powered oscillating palm sanders and disc sanders and hell, about 10 more not suited for this hobby but I've never heard of an oscillating pencil sander. Sounds perfect for tight spots. Who sells them?

Randy,

See here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/341-micro-power-sanders/

I'm using the top one on the deck for finishing. 

Augie,

Sorry for the oversight. :blush:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Rats... I went to all that trouble and I could have bought one???   Oh well.. it was good experience anyway. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Being a newbie, I am still a danger to my kit with a piece of sandpaper. I could only imagine the havoc I could cause with one of those

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf