Hi all, Scott here. I'm looking to get some Walnut to plank my scratch build of the Mayflower. With Crown closing, where's the best place to get modeling lumber?

Thanks guys!

current build : model shipways willie bennett

" Never make a promise that you can't keep , a man's word is his honor" 

Scott I Pollack

Quick and dirty:  Woodcraft lists an outlet in Phoenix

They have Walnut veneer.  Can be cut with steel straight edge and a sharp knife.

There are hardwood stores in Phoenix - if you have the tools to handle dimensional stock.

Walnut can be a beautiful wood for furniture or gun stocks.  It is relatively hard, tight, holds an edge.

It has one bothersome characteristic - it has open pores.  Not the best look when scaled down.

A tight grained closed pore species can be used and made to match Walnut by using an aqueous or alcohol aniline dye of the desired color.  Not a stain - which is a surface semi transparent paint - a peritrating dye.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Many hobby shops carry the Midwest woods also:  https://midwestproducts.com/collections/hardwoods

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you are trying to avoid the box and pear, look into cherry.  The grain is tighter than walnut and it ages beautifully.

M

I know there has been some questionable 'boxwood' strips from Modelexpo, but I have recieved some excellent walnut, cherry and mahogany sheets from them.

Spend $100 and get free shipping  ( while promo lasts )..  

WOOD SHEETS At ModelExpo

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

While my link took you to the ModelExpo sheet wood, there walnut strips should be good also.

They have always been good about taking stuff back if you are not happy with it..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon