Sail Prep

I’m working on a Chesapeake Bay Flattie kit from Midwest (my first wooden ship and I’m very happy about the model so far) and the instructions (if I recall correctly) say to brush the sails in clear enamel and I’m curious what the point is and if I should do an alternative. I saw a partial build log where the builder mentioned using a diluted mixture of white glue and water. I tried to google the answer (as I’m almost positive it would have been asked), but alas my search terms didn’t seem to hit the mark. Thanks for any help!

The idea is to "billow" the sail to resemble blowing in the wind.   You'll need to jig it up horizontally such that the sides are supported and the center area hangs down, then apply your starch, enamel, or glue/water and allow to dry.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for the explanation! Hopefully I’m overthinking it, but this seems like an easy step to mess up (if you make the sails too firm). Are there any small tutorials about it (especially details about the mixture; ratios for anything watered down)?

Thanks again!

There's only one tutorial, as such, that I know of here: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-rigging-and-sails.php

Most of what I see in sail making is in build logs, both scratch and kit builds.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

If you havent already completed - spray sizing works well. Iron afterwards and while the sail is still hot you can add some shape the usually keeps when the sail cools off.

I am finding that running wire inside the hems from one corner to another is a great way to shape your sails - from the barely a breeze look to the 20 knots look.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks Mikiek! For my first build I decided against shaping (mainly to simplify). I brushed some Polycrylic on the cloth and it dried into a (what I think) is a nice firm-ish sail. I think on my next project I’ll try to actually sew the sails (instead of lining with pencil) and potentially add some wire as that seems like a great idea. 

Paper works exceptionally well...and is very forgiving.

Rob

IMG_8834_JPG_4e0901b80da6e1a368ceabd7c0ecda5f.jpg

IMG_8827_JPG_e325672c2572c18030e15a6368d284ef.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."