Sovereign Of The Seas by NMBROOK - Scale 1/84 - based on the works of Van De Velde the elder

I thought I had better post an update before my build ends up on page 200 :D I decided to have a small break from carving before my eyes met in the middle.I made a start on the prow.The profile was altered and then it was clad in black boxwood sheet.I have included an extension that carries the mast stay and has a carving of cupid astride a lion on it.I then went on to sort the offset bowsprit.I cut a bowsprit out of lime dowel I had to hand(to be replaced with walnut)and designed a way the bowsprit would lock in place without glue.I then replicated a 'bowsprit lock' arrangement i have in one of my reference books.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-32284900-1374856613_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-74336600-1374856663_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-98224600-1374856720_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-65584600-1374856743_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-51389800-1374856770_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-98450500-1374856792_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

Beautiful update. I'm also really enjoying watching your build. Did you insert brass sleeves in your forward canon openings? It might just be a refection, but it looks so excellent.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Nigel,

Impressive work!

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

Thank you very much Michael :) Yes I did.They will be painted black but I wanted a neat finish inside the hole and they also represent the thickness of the bulkhead.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much Anja :) I don't like the idea of glueing the bowsprit and masts in place,instead relying on the rigging to secure them.You never know,and if one of them should get broken in the future,it will be easy to replace.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel,

The quality of your work is from museum...

There are many details for each one, there is another detailed work. Details are taking shape by smallish details... And colors appeal the look for a long while...

Very clean and smooth build...

I reposted photos of your work. I would like to learn how you could pass the vertival timbers (No 1's) through the No 2 timber. Impeccable!...

post-2145-0-46297300-1374888341.jpg

post-2145-0-66814200-1374888350_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-76171600-1374889883_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words Ferit :)

To cut the square holes out in the capping strip,after marking it out,I cut the 2.7mm square holes out using a tiny rotary burr in the dremel.They were then squared up and taken to full size using a combination of a small jewellers square file and the point of a scalpel.It probably took a couple of hours to produce that one piece.It was then slid over the verticals into position and I found a couple of the uprights were pushed out of vertical slightly,so I marked which holes wanted enlarging slightly.The strip was removed and minute adjustments made then bonded in position.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-95468000-1374924481_thumb.jpgThanks again Matti

The files come in a pack of ten,unfortunately there is no makers name on the sleeve.The burrs are the same.I have a pic showing both.I bought them from originalmarquetry.com in the uk.Sorry don't know how to post links.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

What you had done is a real struggle. A lot of square holes and each one matches strictly, following at the same time the convexity of the hull (vertical timbers)... Such determination you have!...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

I wanted to concentrate on the remaining work to enable me to fit the prow deck.I first started on the trim that runs from under the figurehead back to the wales at the bow.I started by cutting a wishbone shape out of pear that fitted around the stem.This was then notched to take the gussets at each side.I couldn't make this from one piece as the gussets slope with the wales.The wishbone piece was shaped as the sides taper in both planes.This was fitted and the gussets were shaped and fitted.The next job is the anchor hawse holes and carved surrounds.After looking at the artwork and refering to sephton's book I thought that this supposed angel with outstretched wings has a slight demonic appearance.I first cut a pear strip and shaped it to fit the curve of the bow.I have started the carving work and you will notice I have given the angel a skull for a face.I hope to be able to depict the rib structure on the body.The rest of the carving is mainly in the rough at the moment.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-65021000-1375308553_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-44347400-1375308566_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-31782900-1375308587_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-67408000-1375308604_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-66397200-1375308618_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-23822200-1375308631_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Thank you very much indeed Matti :) I think the problem with a video is that it would be very long.I have five hours work so far in that little carving.I anticipate it could take up to another ten to complete it.This build is the first time I have done any proper carving,so I am learning as I go along.The one thing I have learned is to only use burrs to remove material bulk.I get better results doing the final shaping with the tip of a scalpel blade and dental probes.When I do the carving for the opposite side,I will post some pics at stages to try and illustrate how I go about it.My method my not be the same as everyone else but I have a couple of conditions that affect my dexterity and sensitivity in my hands so all my techniques have had to be adapted to suit.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks for the explanation! My guess is that we all get our own preferences how to do things. I know I do a lot of painting stuff from what I find works for me, but others do different.

There is a norwegian guy Named Lasse Henning (Starwars modeler), and he made a video in high speed. Just had a camera on a stand and had it rolling while he worked then afterwards he put it on high speed. Maybe it wouldnt work for this, as it would be hard to see the small work.

Looking forward to see more of your ship!

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Nigel,

Superb work on the carving!! I am in awe of your artistic talent.

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

Thank you very much Eddie :) Thats very interesting Matti.I have completed the carving today.I have had to glue it to the end of a piece of strip to work on it so the camera wont focus on it properly.I hope to fit it tomorrow night so I should be able to take a decent pick then.

Kind Regards Nigel

Wow, thats looking so nice Nigel!

I wish someone could do a video tutorial of how to sculp things like that.

/Matti

Matti,

Have a look here... http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/468-thank-you-bill-short-for-sponsoring-model-ship-world/?hl=%2Bbill+%2Bshort+%2Bcarving   It's not a video but a book and well worth it.

Bill is a member here and his log:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1356-sovereign-of-the-seas-by-bill-short-sergal-1637-scale-178-port-side-as-built-starboard-side-as-presented-to-king-charles-i-for-approval/page-1?hl=sovereign

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)