Sovereign Of The Seas by NMBROOK - Scale 1/84 - based on the works of Van De Velde the elder

The final instalment.The rib detail was added using the scalpel and dental probe.The end detail were shaped using the scalpel.Then finally a dress up of the edges with p320 silicon carbide paper.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-80648800-1375723315_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thank you very much indeed Ferit :) I wanted it to appear similar but not be a exact copy,the end details are slightly different.You never will never know unless you give it a try,like I said I think you are more than capable.

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

Beautiful carving work.  And a wonderful lesson in carving.  Thanks for sharing it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A small update.Both carvings/hawse holes are now sorted.I masked off and varnished the area below where the grated deck sits in preparation for fitting the deck tomorrow night.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-31797400-1375822864_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-94595000-1375822879_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Nigel,

Fantastic! The mounted carvings look awesome! Excellent work there mate!

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

That's a your wow Nigel...

Gratings were built in premium quality... Any fissures... Any fractures... Symmetry in all...

Quality on splices, nail simulations... Details...  ...  ...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

A very amazing build log. I will follow it with great interest.

Regards,

Rob

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

Beautiful work on the grates, Nigel. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have decided to concentrate on detailing the bulkhead before fitting the sides to the prow,simply to make access easier.I include a snipet of the van de velde artwork I am working to.The plan is to start at the bottom and work my way up.The first job is to replicate the frames around the lower charactures.I cut a piece of !mm pear strip and cut out apertures for the carvings.Rather than leave the corners sharp like in the artwork,I decided to put 0.5mmx0.5mm chamfers on with the scalpel.I feel that this looks much better.The next task is to carve the six pediments with the climbing foliage that sit below the figurines.These will fit on the vertical sections between the panel cutouts.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-58804200-1375997731_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-19582500-1375997749_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-24571300-1375997763_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-00803900-1375997779_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Nigel,

You have your work cut out for you.  You seem to have a good plan so I'm just going to sit back and watch.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

i wonder why it has taken me so many years to realise the bowspit was off centred to stbd

fantastic work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I wish this was available as a kit rather than a monthly partwork series. 

Sometimes it's stuffy to ameliorete, to rebuild kit parts if you are too busy on the work but it's much more satisfying to make your own... Sometimes a little scratch gives more delightful flavor than building a full kit...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Brian

Are you aware the only bits I have used from the partwork are the bulkheads and false keel so far?Apart from said items the rest is scratchbuilt.The standard build bears little or no resemblance to my model.If they bring it out as a kit,like they did with victory,I don't think it would be able to compete with sergal's as it would be around the same price.The standard model is far from accurate.If I was to build this model again,I would start with sergal's plans and scratchbuild,altering the details that are incorrect.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel

At first: My englisch is very bad. It is from the school bevore 50 years. Sorry.

Im working at one year for the Sovereign of the seas from Sergal, but my ship is very different to this.

Im looking the book from Busmann for sculpture and the Website from http://www.schifferlbauer.at

My sculptures are also working for Dental-Machine.

Here look any pictures for my Sovereign.

Kind Regards Hubert

post-550-0-81713000-1376063403_thumb.jpgpost-550-0-19651000-1376063405_thumb.jpgpost-550-0-82395300-1376063406_thumb.jpgpost-550-0-33691100-1376063408_thumb.jpgpost-550-0-67785300-1376063538_thumb.jpgpost-550-0-24489500-1376063540_thumb.jpgpost-550-0-09100500-1376063560_thumb.jpg

I first cut six pear blocks to the correct overall size of the pediments.The back face of these was bonded onto the end of some boxwood strip for handling.I set a jig up on the pillar drill(no miller yet)and cut the scallops in the front face.I then set another jig up to cut small slots on the sides to create the top cap.By doing these two operations,it should make it easier to carve them consistantly.I think the pictures are fairly self explanatory.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-65326700-1376071726_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-52569600-1376071743_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-03597500-1376071755_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-61056400-1376071769_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-75721400-1376071782_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-15523500-1376071796_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK