Sovereign Of The Seas by NMBROOK - Scale 1/84 - based on the works of Van De Velde the elder

Thank you very much in Ferit for your kind words :)  :)  :) Love the little charactures in your message,put a big smile on my face :D Yes I am planning on carving every ornament on my Sovereign.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I have fitted the carving.I have used aluminium tube 8mm long to replicate the lead lining that was used in the hawse holes.The bores have been countersunk to remove the corner.On to the other side now

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-40801800-1375530640_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Nigel,

Again, astonishing work. Your SOS will become iconic for sure. This is already an amazing artistic work of art.

You may have also become a catalyst for my wanting to learn carving; It seems that Matti is also interested (:-). I will get Bill's book through MSW and give it a go. I so appreciate your updates, such a pleasure for the eyes.

R/   Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Nigel,

That is some wonderful carving you're doing.  I'm enjoying watching it appear. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As I seem to have encouraged a few members to have a go at carving,I am posting a few updates to try and illustrate the processes involved.I appreciate these may differ from what procedures some other members may follow,but this way works for me,as I mentioned earlier I have a couple of conditions that effect the dexterity and sensitivity in my hands.

Picture one shows the initial shape roughed out in plan using a combination of a scalpel and a 1mm round burr in the dremel.

In picture two I have started to  remove material to start to get the correct levels.The carving blank is overthick so I can slowly workdown to the correct thicknesses.The fine detail is left overwidth until I get close to the finished shape.This is then thinned out towards the end of the process.This helps to prevent unwanted breakout.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-33699200-1375609370_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-52559600-1375609388_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Thanks for showing the way with the carving.  I am very tempted to have a go at carving something for myself? I will wait and see what the quality of the cast parts look like first and then if I feel I may improve on the casting then maybe???

I am jumping before I can run somewhat!!!  I will attempt to improve on the casting, if not the casting can always be used, cant lose really!?!

Nat.

Hi Nat

From what I have received so far,the castings are excellent quality.The issues for me is that they wont fit my modified build but also that they have little resemblance to historical evidence.I think the most crucial aspect is wood selection.Boxwood or Pear are the preferred timbers.You could theoretically use any wood but you would make the job much harder.The grain structure of box and pear is so fine it makes it alot easier to shape.I hopefully will be posting more pics of this piece as work progresses.

Kind Regards Nigel

The next step was to increase the definition around the sides of the skull.I have drilled 0.4mm holes as a start point for the eye sockets and nasal cavity.The crutial point is the nasal cavity is central top to bottom in the skull otherwise the proportions will be incorrect.I have also started chipping away at the hairline and I am introducing some rounding to the head.The next step is the cheekbone area which is the main difference between a skull and a face

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-17504100-1375620790_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

As I have a guide now with eye and nasal holes in place,I proceeded to add contour to the skull using a scalpel blade and shaving extremely small chips away,slowly slowly is very much the name of the game.I also added a little shape to the eye sockets and nasal cavity using the tip of a new blade in the scalpel and a pointed dental probe.The spine detail has been added at the bottom with the scalpel.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-05261800-1375641697_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Thanks again Ferit for your kind words :) As regards the time,you may be right which is why I am trying to do some as the build goes along.The thought of completing the hull and then starting the carvings from scratch would terrify me.I have seen the high standard of your work and I think producing carvings is not beyond your ability.I suggest you find a piece of pear or boxwood and give it a try,you never know you might surprise yourself!

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much for your kind words Sid :) Yes this is my first bash at carving.Bill's build is excellent and that was his first attempt at carving when he started that.I am working the opposite way round leaving the complex carvings on the stern till last.Hats off to Bill,he set himself an immense learning curve starting at the stern first.

Kind Regards Nigel

First job today was to further refine the shape of the jaw and shoulder/neck area.This was carried out with the tip of the scalpel.Only removing minimal material has changed the head from 'planet of the apes'to a definate skull.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-60073400-1375702539_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Before proceeding any further,the carving was 'parted off'from the end of the strip and a section of stripwood was glued to the back end on so I could clamp the piece in my small proxxon machine vice.I used a dab of thick cyano for the job.

In Pic one is the two burrs I will use for the next step.

Pic two;

I first cleaned up the background of the carving using the burr in the top of pic one.You will notice that the end is flat,cutting edges only on the side.By working round and slowly dabbing the surface keeping the tool square to the face(not so easy as the carving is curved to suit the bow)I was able to reduce to final thickness and achieve a better surface finish.The sounding edges were then thinned using the burr at the bottom of pic1.These edges were lightly dabbed again with the cutter,working along the edge to thin it out

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-43248300-1375706748_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-72680800-1375706780_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK