Sovereign Of The Seas by NMBROOK - Scale 1/84 - based on the works of Van De Velde the elder

Nigel,

It has been a while since I have checked in. Your build is looking terrific. Clean and precise work. Certainly am enjoying sharing the journey with you!!

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while since my last update,although I have been doing lots of hours on the build,it doesn't really show.I have now profiled the hull inside.I have cut and relined the main gunports on the starboard side(upper ports still to do.) the gunports have been cut on the port side but lining to finish.I made a start with the internal planking on the inside of the starboard side.I am only representing caulking on the decks internally.The first deck beam shelf is in position and notched.I have now told myself I must complete all the railings before going any further as I am fed up of breaking the uprights.I have made a start on this as my pictures show.There are some gunports to cut out in these but I shall do that when they are all in place.The red is coloured veneer,not paint.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-45225600-1381068634_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-83640400-1381068651_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-62369300-1381068672_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-23849900-1381068693_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-23835600-1381068709_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-51835600-1381068727_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

I agree with Ferit... but my choice is to sit here dumbfounded.   Amazing work... just amazing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If I may also be redundant; Amazing work. What a pleasure for the senses.

R/   Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Nigel,

I agree with Ferit... but my choice is to sit here dumbfounded.   Amazing work... just amazing.

Hi Mark, I see you had choosen both way... Your choice has to be the 3th... But the correct one...  m0192.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

OMG! Brilliant carving works!!!

I missed your build log for a while and then when I get back, all the carvings are already there

I really love the carving at the bow 

this is really one masterpiece!

well done! :)

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

lovely work, what made you go back and change all the internal work, or was it something you wish had done from the start

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thank you very much indeed everybody for your very kind words :)  :)

In answer to your question Kevin.I am looking back and thinking how I could of progressed differently.The problem with this being a partwork is there are no drawings and the model being supplied is vastly different from the model advertised.This did start out with the intention of being a near stock build but as the part work progressed and looking at the Italian forum(which is about 6 months infront)the difference with what we are building to what was advertised was becoming obvious.At this point I had a fully planked hull which due to sourcing my own more expensive timber stood me at quite a lot of money.

So then the 'modification ball' started rolling and I found that all the supplied ornamentation was going to be inaccurate.Inspired by Bill Short's log which I used to follow before the 'crash' and becoming a member,I decided to take the step of 'having a go'at producing my own carvings.

What started out as a stock build had now turned in to probably 3-4000 hours work.Thinking on this made me think that 'dummy'canons didn't quite come up to par with the rest of the build.Helped in no small part by Chris Watton's amazing victory prototype.I think though the biggest discovery was Arthur Molle's amazing model of the Sovereign.I looked at that and thought 'I have to do that'.I include a picture of Molle's model that I am going to try and replicate to some extent for the deck structures,I am not planing on sawing the model in half though :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Back to the question of would I have done things different?Yes I would have bought Sergal's plans and worked from there,full scratchbuild.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-16336600-1381153103_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

will look fantastic when completed

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

A small update.I have completed the rails on the port side,I have only the forecastle left to do.I had to go and pick up my prezzies from the missus today.I feel like a kid in a sweetshop :)  :)  :) Thank you love :wub: Thank you to those on here that advised me which to machine to go for.It goes to show that the way to a modellers' heart is via workshop tools :D  :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-44205500-1381526736_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-83883400-1381526748_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-73813700-1381526760_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Hi Joe

It's the MF70.It is the only thing that runs a high enough RPM for the small cutters.I only plan on using it for detail work so should be ideal.I hope to get it's bigger brother at a later stage for more joinery related model building tasks when I venture into fully framed ships.However the big one won't run the small cutters so eventually I will have two mills.

Kind Regards Nigel

Gorgeous craftsmanship!!!... and  a fine log to demonstrate what can be accomplished and what I should be striving for.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Nigel,

Nice addition to your tools arsenal. It should prove to be an excellent workhorse. Looking forward to what you can do with it, which, of course, will be super impressive (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Nigel,

I liked your choice about these new tools  m0620.gif  because me too, I have same tools  m0192.gif  even additional ones, vice and rotator...

I haven't had any necessity to use this rotator but it's a great tool for precise works, I think.

A build of a ship so hard like SoS in your style, very neat, precise, accurate, so detailed and in high quality, at the border of the scratch (almost at the middle of the scratch in fact) should need them frequently...

Enjoy them...

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)