i'm building a corel endeavor and i have finished the first layer of planking and want to make a start on the second layer but first i need to cut the holes for the gun ports, i marked them while planking , according to the false decks that are in the bulkheads but they dont line up with anything and the 1:1 plans they supply , aren't. the gun ports line up with one of the wales(?) and another one of those line up with the lower deck , should i start with this and try and guess where they should go?

Generally speaking, the gun ports will follow the run of the deck so there probably would be a gentle curve fore and aft with the low spot in the middle.  When built, many times the ports are clear of the wale(s) in some places and cut into them in others do to the sheer (curve) of the planking.  The idea is that each port is the same height above the deck.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thank you ,the first plank i ran was in line with the gun ports so i measured off of it and i think they are close to where they are supposed to be . they aren't quite in sync with the plans but then the plans don't really match what i have any way . i did query this with corel and they said that the wood is cut correctly and the plans might be off due to shrinkage , only thing is they're the right height but about half an inch longer , even the false keel is shorter than the plans . 

That seems to be typical.  Best bet is to figure out how many ports, the size, and then adjust the spacing between them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good.  Comparing the ship the plan on the wall, I think you nailed it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Anthony, Endeavour did not have gun ports as all the guns were located on the upper deck.  What you portray are the loading ports (from her earlier days pre-conversion.  The smaller ones in the drawings are the airing ports.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat

I know very little of this vessel but I believe she was equipped with sweeps so would the main purpose of the small ports be for the use of the sweeps rather than the comfort of the crew?    

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

For gun ports,  not only is the height of the sills determined by the position of the deck, the slope of the sills is determined by the slope of the deck.

Endeavor was a collier?   The USS Maine demonstrated the danger of poorly vented coal,  Would that cargo not want venting?

Flat plans + curved surface - do not match.  I would pick a landmark as close to the port as possible and gauge from that - going from each side and interpolating any difference.

The port dimensions are all the same,  but on the profile plan the bow port would appear smaller on the X dimension.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Being a Corel kit and based on the instructions that Anthony has....  best bet without a lot work is just build it as the kit shows.   But then again, I like bashing kits. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Anthony, I am not familiar with the Corel kit, but the guns were definitely fitted on the upper decks (see the various build logs including mine for their placement).  While there are a few errors in the AOTS by Karl Marquardt, the majority of his drawings are safe to follow - the various build logs identify where the issues are.  The following link shows my partially completed build and where I positioned the guns (about half way down); although there is some conjecture that two of these may actually have been on the quarterdeck/poop deck. 

Allan,  as far as I can ascertain, the other ports are airing ports as the spacing and  height variance would have made them very awkward but not impossible for use with sweeps.  I do recall a mention of sweeps but my assumption (I know - dangerous) has been that the sweeps were used from the upper deck.  It has been a while since I researched this vessel, but I think there is actually mention of them as airing ports in his logs/journals?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 11 months later...

I'd seen some 1850's era ships pictured to be the in San Francisco harbor.  Many appear to have a substantial number of gun ports ... but no guns.

Might it have been a tactic to paint the familiar white stripe, with areas denoting gun ports ... but really not having guns?  Just to scare off pirates perhaps?

Anyone know?  I did not find anything in an online search on this.

Good Evening Kevin;

Yes, it was common practice for merchant vessels to imitate the Navy paint scheme; as you surmise, this was indeed to discourage predators of all types. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS