Hello from Erie, PA

CommodoreErie

Hello! First time poster, and relatively new to modeling. 

I've tried my hand at a few kits before. Mamoli's HMS Bounty was my first attempt, but that got lost when I moved, and I found myself a fair bit over my head in any event. So, I'm scaling back and trying something a bit simpler. In the next week or so, I hope to start a build log for the Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat. I'm hoping I can develop skills there for use on larger models. Wish me luck, and glad to be here!

~CE

Edited by CommodoreErie
Added signature

In Shipyard:

1:12 Norwegian Sailing Pram

Completed Builds:

1:24 Lowel Grand Banks Dory

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gidday CommodoreErie and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

The wealth of knowledge and practical expertise on this site is amazing and most members freely share both.

Good to read that you are starting or should that be re-starting.

I speak from experience regarding biting off too much in my first attempt.
If I may offer some advice,

Search the Build Logs for the Longboat. If not your kit you may find something similar.

Dry fit as much as possible to gain some understanding of the build process. Also it is far easier to rectify any problems when components are not bound together.

Read and re-read the plans, this assists me in my build process.

Ask questions when and if you become stuck.

Above all - Enjoy yourself.

I am looking forward to your build log.

I wish you al the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hello and welcome from the UK. See post #5 above, Mark has pointed you to Rule Number 1:

3 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Glad to have you aboard.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

14 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday CommodoreErie and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

The wealth of knowledge and practical expertise on this site is amazing and most members freely share both.

Good to read that you are starting or should that be re-starting.

I speak from experience regarding biting off too much in my first attempt.
If I may offer some advice,

Search the Build Logs for the Longboat. If not your kit you may find something similar.

Dry fit as much as possible to gain some understanding of the build process. Also it is far easier to rectify any problems when components are not bound together.

Read and re-read the plans, this assists me in my build process.

Ask questions when and if you become stuck.

I am looking forward to your build log.

I wish you al the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice! I actually did find a build log of the exact kit I'm going to be working on, so I'll be referencing that as I go along. 

~CE

In Shipyard:

1:12 Norwegian Sailing Pram

Completed Builds:

1:24 Lowel Grand Banks Dory