Cutty Sark by kpnuts - Artesania Latina

Hi all well I'm on to the gunwale covers (why they are called that I dont know, they cover nothing have nothing to do with guns and what wale's are I've no idea) anyway I've made a jig to get all the holes in the same place.

IMG-20191205-20860.jpg

Drilled all 52 holes

IMG-20191205-21324.jpg

Gunwales installed

IMG-20191209-4381.jpg
IMG-20191209-43492.jpg
IMG-20191209-44523.jpg

Bit annoyed with the instructions (and myself for not checking) they tell you to drill 52 holes @ 1.5 mm but the brass wire they supply is only 1 mm 

Hi all finished the planking on the bow (those little bends in the 2x2mm sapeally were a real pain in the bum, that is the 12th set of those, they kept snapping when trying to bend them) I finally managed to get the bend by soaking them in boiling water then giving them 2 mins in the microwave.

IMG-20191215-841.jpg
IMG-20191215-6850.jpg
IMG-20191215-5664.jpg

Nice recovery and continued build!!

I do like the "Joggled" Deck detail, wish I had done it on mine....

The Bulwark Stanchions look great, there's a lot of them.

In the past, I had started this model but my Abyssinian cats put paid to that, chasing a largish Bush Rat inside, upsetting the Kit contents and pretty much trashing the whole thing.

Hence my Sergal/Mantua version....

(I do have an "Updated" A/L version in my closet, one with Sails.

I have heard that this is a Chinese kit? Don't know....)

Anyway, I'm following with interest....

(Guess I'm a "Cutty Nut.")

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so I'm back on this, first thing to sort is something that's been bugging me since I noticed it in the photos (didn't notice it on the actual thing for some reason) the cowls the anchor chains go into (sorry dont know what they're called) are not the same distances from the hold frame.

IMG-20200108-44988.jpg

So sorted that (disguising the old hole was a pain but I dont think it notices now)

IMG-2405.jpg

IMG-2404.jpg

Personally I think this is a great kit (I know some people say otherwise) I dont know anything about the other kit as I've not built them but I'm not too worried about accuracy so i not too bothered about whether it's the right hull lines or too wide, whatever.

They give you ample material to build her (up till now since my brother stripped the planking off and I stripped all the decking off) they give you nearly enough to build her twice, i only had to buy 10 strips of decking to finish that off and have not had to buy any of the side planking and still have loads left over the quality of the materials is top notch my only slight complaint is the instructions are quite confusing (that said they give you a full size high quality photo of the finished model so you can measure and check off that) 

hi there KP........had no idea you were building a wood project.   you did a superb job of bring this one from the ashes ;)    very nice looking project so far.   yes...Artesania Latina is a Spanish company.....interesting that they supply mahogany for the hull planking.  many older kits sold by Billing Boats supplied mahogany for the planking,  and in some cases,  the sheet panels too.   these kits weren't laser cut,  and it made it harder to cut the parts out,  since it is on the brittle side as well as unpredictable.   I have a large bundle of mahogany strip stock from the kit I got to build the Progress...I couldn't bear to paint over this wood.  I'm going to save it...maybe one of these days,  I might do a sailing ship with it.

great looking vessel mate.........you've overcome many hurdles to get where you are  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

More work on her, the forward cabins were very confusing.

The steps were a pain to fit and to be honest they couldn't be used anyway, look where they are you would have to get round the belaying pins and anyway they come out under the poop deck (incidentally that is exactly where the instructions tell you to put them.

IMG-20200310-203955-429.jpg
IMG-2443.jpg
IMG-2444.jpg
IMG-20200310-203955-427.jpg

IMG-2450.jpg
IMG-2449.jpg
IMG-2451.jpg

on some kits,  it can be a problem placing the heads with the ladders in place...too close together.  they need to be spaced apart some.  super job so far....she look'in really good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Your model is looking mighty fine. I am neck and neck I think in our build of this model although I am building the Billing version. It's always interesting to me how each one of us tackle their model with regards to how and when bits and pieces get added. I really like how yours is going and it will be stunning when completed.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

On 3/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, petervisser said:

Your model is looking mighty fine. I am neck and neck I think in our build of this model although I am building the Billing version. It's always interesting to me how each one of us tackle their model with regards to how and when bits and pieces get added. I really like how yours is going and it will be stunning when completed.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Chap,

Thoroughly agree with Peter.

My Cutty was certainly a journey also.... 🙂

Looking superb, keep it up!!

Cheers….HOF. 

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

very nice progress KP 702684767_thumbsup.jpg.4955a466144296077f3c505e5b594dcc.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the bow,  boom,  and spirit looks great together!  well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi all let me start this update by saying (in the politest possible way)

**agonized outburst of "special words"**.

Let me explain.

I do my modeling in the spare bedroom, I lay a piece of vinyl down on the floor immediately round my work bench and on top of the bench I put the container with all the brass pieces on the bed behind me after removing some parts needed for my next bit of work I set to adding some of the stanchions on the bow and heard this noise as if a plastic container of billions of bits had fallen on the floor, imagine my surprise when turning round to find that is exactly what had happened and of course as it was BEHIND me and not around the vinyl protection area it had fallen on a shag pile carpet, of course the lid came off. So after moving the bed (carpet was under it) shaking the carpet out I got this.

IMG-2520.jpg

And after several hours 

This

IMG-2519.jpg

So on with the update.

IMG-2527.jpg
IMG-2526.jpg
IMG-2523.jpg
IMG-2522.jpg
IMG-2524.jpg
IMG-2525.jpg

I'm really chuffed with how it's going (I should point out check ALL the stanchinons BEFORE gluing them in place as some of the holes are not clear and removing and drilling them after they are glued in place is no easy task.

Hi Chap,

Had similar issues with this Kit....

Mine were a couple of feisty Abyssinian's bent on chasing a Bush Rat that they bought in....

Started this one, but....

My A/L Kit fell out of the storage due to rat/cats....

Carpet, lost a lot and decided to discontinue and go with the Sergal version, albeit, the Ship Room is now firmly closed when I'm not in attendance....

I do now have the newer A/L version awaiting with sails.

So many Ships, so little time.... 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi all was about to start on the fore mast, but then thought I better sort all the lower stuff before going in an upwards direction.

So first I thought about the problem of doing the portholes heres my answer to getting them all in the right place.

IMG-2539.jpg

IMG-2540.jpg

IMG-2541.jpg

IMG-2542.jpg

IMG-2543.jpg

Then to  do the rudder.

IMG-2545.jpg

IMG-2546.jpg
IMG-2547.jpg